Scientists Study Out-Of-Body Experience

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Phillipmcd, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    Pretty interesting stuff.

Some people claim that they have experienced out-of-body experiences — aka “astral trips” — floating outside of their bodies and watching themselves from the outside. A team of scientists found someone who says she can do this at will and put her into a brain scanner. What they discovered was surprisingly strange.

The researchers found that something dramatic, and consistent with her account, was happening in her brain: The fMRI showed a “strong deactivation of the visual cortex” while “activating the left side of several areas associated with kinesthetic imagery,” which includes mental imagery of bodily movement. This is the part of the brain that makes it possible for us to interact with the world. It’s what makes you feel where your body is in relation to the world.

It is real in the sense that she’s actually experiencing it. The brain scans show that she’s going through what she’s claiming. But that doesn’t mean that her “soul” is getting out of her body. This is not an astral trip, like those described by mystics. There’s no paranormal activity of any kind.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/03/s...y-of-woman-who-sees-herself-outside-her-body/

2. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    Beth has perfected out-of-body experiences every time the pelican climbs on top of her.

3. artful dodger

artful dodger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    thanks for sharing but the article is useless essentially - she is merely inducing a meditative state - big fucking deal

their time will be much better spent studying somebody you regular practices mediation, specifically wake induced lucid dreaming

4. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:

[​IMG]

5. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    Great. James Randi has an easy $1,000,000 for her just waiting for the taking. All she has to do is let someone watch her close her eyes (or close herself up in a room monitored from outside), travel "out of her body" and then announce the playing card or number on a piece of paper on the picnic table across the street. Easy $1,000,000 for her.

6. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    I had one of those out-of-body experiences when I was about 12 years old.

While lifting weights with a buddy, I specifically remember looking down from the ceiling at someone smashing their face into the bumper of a car. I specifically remember thinking I was glad that wasn't me.

Next thing I remember I was in the house on the couch, being told that I was the guy that smashed his face into the car bumper. Apparently, I hyperventilated while lifting the weights and had my very own out-of-body experience. I also had two very fat lips.

7. skytzoboy

skytzoboy not a fuck to give

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;4Hx_oQwrOzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hx_oQwrOzs[/video]

8. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    A lot of people have out of body experiences but are secretive about it. They can actually posses another person while that person is sleeping.
    Terrifying experience if that ever happened to you.

9. landfill

landfill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

10. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    That's my reaction, too.

All I can say is that it happened to me.

11. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    James has been offering a cash reward since 1964, there's a reason no one has won. Sylvia Browne accepted the challenge but later turned it down. She knew why ruin a good thing? She was making $850 for a 30 minute phone call with suckers. Why expose herself? I love that people like James Randi, Michael Shermer and Derren Brown exist.

12. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    Scientists did a study a few years ago with 1500 patients. They set up special shelving in resuscitation areas, the shelves held pictures – but they're visible only from the ceiling. If the patients could see the pictures from above that would prove there is something to out of body experiences. Wanna guess the results?

13. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I haven't heard of anyone who has positively verified an image after having an out-of-body experience. I seem to remember some hospitals put the stuff up in the ceilings or whatever a few years ago, too.

No proof positive yet.

14. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    My guess is that James Randi still has his $1,000,000.

15. onefourthree

onefourthree Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think this is just something that's all in your head. If you do in fact believe something is happening, the brain scan is going to show the same activity as if it was really happening. Whether it is or not.

16. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    a lot of these people use the excuse that the powers don't work around skeptics. the negative energy is an interference. :facepalm:

17. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    :giggle: It's like Peter Pan. You have to believe, you have to believe in the magic. If you don't then it wont work.