******Serendipity...It Happens To The Best Of Us******

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Phil McKrakin, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Phil McKrakin

Phil McKrakin AKA Howie POTY The Bar VIP

Reputations:
    So, my mother calls me up on Saturday to let me know one of my nephews (18) who was visiting from Indiana wrecked her poor little 1995 Nissan Maxima. First time he ever drove it... :facepalm:

My father bought the car new back in '95 and it has been meticulously maintained since day 1. Beyond a little fading paint, a few dings and scratches and almost 20 years of wear and tear, the car drove and ran perfectly, especially since I have been doing most of the maintenance over the last several years since my dad passed away. All new sensors, alternator, struts, window regulators, brakes, tune-ups, radiator fan, tires, etc. etc. She had 120k miles on her and would have gone another 100k easily, or at least until if and when my mother wanted to sell it. Here is what poor little old "Dee" looked like:

[​IMG]

My poor little old mom was very upset and didn't know what to do since the insurance co. wanted to total it and only give her around 3k (blue book), minus $500 deductible to settle the matter since the car was almost 20 years old and was going to cost over 4k to repair. Well, I was having none of that and flew in to save the day. I was thinking we would keep the car and find someone to fix it on the cheap or some such nonsense since they would have let us keep the car and pay out $2600 as well. That theory quickly went out the window, so I took her car shopping today.

1st stop this morning was the local Nissan dealer to look at the 2011 lease returns...18k for an Altima...17k for a Camry...19K for an Accord etc. etc. all with around 30k miles on them. We told the salesman our story and after about 45 minutes of the hard sell, told him thanks, but were not spending that much and we'll go see what else we could find around town. We get almost to the rental and the guy comes out to the parking lot and says "Um, would you like to see a car that I personally own and am looking to sell for around 8k?" and tells us a tale of this cherry 2001 Maxima he bought a month ago from the proverbial "little old lady who only drove it on Sundays". I said "what the hell, it can't hurt" and here is where Serendipity comes in...

2001 Nissan Maxima, 36k original miles, 1 owner, garaged for 13 years, immaculately cherry in and out...not a ding, not a scratch...all service records, perfect score from CarFax blah, blah, blah. The think looks and runs brand spanking new. You almost never find cars that old in this good of shape. Took her for a test drive and signed the papers an hour later for 7.5k cash. Blue book on this car with around 100k miles and in "good" condition is around 5k+. It's basically the same car except much newer, much cleaner and my mother couldn't be happier since it's so much like her old car. No thanks Obama!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BOOM!!!

2. Swedish John

Swedish John I'm your huckleberry

Reputations:
    Phil, you can't be serious with this one.

3. Engaged Chicken

Engaged Chicken VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    What? :coffee:

4. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    Tl; dr

5. Phil McKrakin

Reputations:
    It's the feel good story of the day! :c

6. Stevie

Stevie Now go...Ohm.

Reputations:
    So, my mother calls me up on Saturday to let me know one of my nephews (18) who was visiting from Indiana wrecked her poor little 1995 Nissan Maxima. First time he ever drove it...

My father bought the car new back in '95 and it has been meticulously maintained since day 1. Beyond a little fading paint, a few dings and scratches and almost 20 years of wear and tear, the car drove and ran perfectly, especially since I have been doing most of the maintenance over the last several years since my dad passed away. All new sensors, alternator, struts, window regulators, brakes, tune-ups, radiator fan, tires, etc. etc. She had 120k miles on her and would have gone another 100k easily, or at least until if and when my mother wanted to sell it. Here is what poor little old "Dee" looked like:

My poor little old mom was very upset and didn't know what to do since the insurance co. wanted to total it and only give her around 3k (blue book), minus $500 deductible to settle the matter since the car was almost 20 years old and was going to cost over 4k to repair. Well, I was having none of that and flew in to save the day. I was thinking we would keep the car and find someone to fix it on the cheap or some such nonsense since they would have let us keep the car and pay out $2600 as well. That theory quickly went out the window, so I took her car shopping today.

1st stop this morning was the local Nissan dealer to look at the 2011 lease returns...18k for an Altima...17k for a Camry...19K for an Accord etc. etc. all with around 30k miles on them. We told the salesman our story and after about 45 minutes of the hard sell, told him thanks, but were not spending that much and we'll go see what else we could find around town. We get almost to the rental and the guy comes out to the parking lot and says "Um, would you like to see a car that I personally own and am looking to sell for around 8k?" and tells us a tale of this cherry 2001 Maxima he bought a month ago from the proverbial "little old lady who only drove it on Sundays". I said "what the hell, it can't hurt" and here is where Serendipity comes in...

2001 Nissan Maxima, 36k original miles, 1 owner, garaged for 13 years, immaculately cherry in and out...not a ding, not a scratch...all service records, perfect score from CarFax blah, blah, blah. The think looks and runs brand spanking new. You almost never find cars that old in this good of shape. Took her for a test drive and signed the papers an hour later for 7.5k cash. Blue book on this car with around 100k miles and in "good" condition is around 5k+. It's basically the same car except much newer, much cleaner and my mother couldn't be happier since it's so much like her old car. No thanks Obama!

7. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    BM would not be pleased. :fil:

8. Phil McKrakin

Reputations:
  9. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
  10. Summer

Summer Shed Punisher VIP

Reputations:
    Phil's a changed man since his absence.

11. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    want me to give your nephew a nice set of blue balls for punishment?

12. Cheri

Cheri Skunk VIP

Reputations:
    Sweet mother of Christ that was a long post I didnt read.

13. Phil McKrakin

Reputations:
    I haven't had a drink in close to a month. Just bought some since I have the week off now... :c

14. Summer

Summer Shed Punisher VIP

Reputations:
    That's pretty amazing....I'm a little scared now. lol

15. zingger

zingger Judge and jury Gold

Reputations:
    That was a great story Phil and I'm glad that your mom is happy :)

16. Stevie

Stevie Now go...Ohm.

Reputations:
    Phil izz gay...Right?

17. zingger

zingger Judge and jury Gold

Reputations:
    I'm counting on it.

18. Phil McKrakin

Reputations:
    I'll be calling people cunts here @ 4am before the end of the week! :c

19. Phil McKrakin

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;nxcJW6bs5os]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxcJW6bs5os[/video]

20. TonyJax

TonyJax White Privilege Denied. VIP

Reputations:

I just dont care enough, its on me, I just dont care. :eek: