Settlement in Intern Suit

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Weed, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A motion for settlement has been filed in an intern's class action lawsuit against SIRIUSXM RADIO alleging that the company should have paid its interns but did not. SIRIUS will pay $1,297,350 into a settlement fund to settle the suit, covering awards to claimants, attorney's fees, and other fees.

The motion was filed jointly on MONDAY (8/3) by the attorneys for plaintiffs JUSTIN VITETTA (who replaced MELISSA TIERNEY as named plaintiff) and DANIEL MILLER and attorneys for SIRIUSXM in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of NEW YORK.

The suit claimed that SIRIUSXM interns "routinely performed the most mundane and repetitive tasks that were nonetheless essential to SIRIUSXM’s operations, and thus undeniably reduced the need for additional paid employees and greatly benefitted SIRIUS" but that "interns were not provided any training similar to an educational environment."

2. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
  3. DiamondGoddess

DiamondGoddess Born Ready for My Close-Up! Gold

Reputations:
    Huh?!!!

Since when does intern mean paid, and if they agreed to it...

4. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard-related bcs now those former interns know how it feels to get fucked in the ass.

(Made for some good "real-world experience" actually)

I guess now they can all split up the settlement $$ and get some dob shelve ligger.

5. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They agreed to do it but were under the assumption that they were going to get some actual training. My confusion is that the ruling admits that they performed mundane and repetitive acts essential to Sirius' operations. I would have argued that those kinds of jobs would be the same kind of grunt work that they would be doing in their first radio stations. ( that is, if there were any actual jobs that still existed inside radio stations)

6. DiamondGoddess

Reputations:
    And did the internships go on too long?

What's the ratio of internship hires to direct hires?

7. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    C'mon, don't be silly. Anyone knows that if you really want a job there, you have to either win a contest or come in third or fourth place in the same contest.

8. DiamondGoddess

Reputations:
    :cwl:

Damn, how could I forget?!!!

ARM and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  9. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Hmm, just read this:

http://www.sanfordbrown.edu/student-life/blog/november-2014/how-to-get-into-radio-broadcasting

You might love Howard Stern or have dreams of moving to Los Angeles to work with Ryan Seacrest, but while many college students do gain pivotal internships at major syndicated shows and stations, there's actually a little-known downside.

Unless you're in one of the many unions that represent broadcasters at the top echelon of broadcasting — like Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) for on-air positions or the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) for the technical side — your role as an intern is limited.

Interns often aren't allowed to touch equipment or do any of the nuts-and-bolts work of putting a show together, but you'll do a lot of administrative tasks. However, these internships are great to shoot for after you have some technical experience because they can help you make important contacts in big markets.

ARM and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  10. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
    Howard paid them in plugs! :bigcry:

11. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    My company pays college interns $25 Hour for a 40 hour week.

We do hire some of the interns if the needs are there and we like them, but to get good talent in the door, the company makes it worthwhile.

How does anyone intern for free in NYC if you don't already have family/friends there ?

ARM and DiamondGoddess like this.
  12. StRyDeRxX

StRyDeRxX Bling Bling Gold

Reputations:
    that settlement is bullshit... a little over a million dollars for all those years??? Something ain't right! o_O

ARM and DiamondGoddess like this.
  13. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They settled for 1,297,350.that means the lawyers will get 1,297,00. The interns will each get 1.97 apiece. I should have gone to law school. LOL!

14. DiamondGoddess

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'd think it'd be a great way to train good workers.

And yeah, the nepotism in NYC must be just ovah the top!!!

ARM likes this.
  15. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    Also, last month, a federal appeals court reversed the decision for the FOX Searchlight interns and tossed it back to the trial court.

Complete Article > http://deadline.com/2015/07/black-swan-interns-lawsuit-overturned-1201467302/

Court of Appeals decision > https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/black-swan-interns-appeal-ruling-july-2.pdf

‘Black Swan’ Interns Lawsuit Overturned By Appeals Court

In a decision that Hollywood has been waiting for months to hear, the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals today threw the Black Swan intern case on its head by vacating an earlier judgment in favor of two interns who worked on the Darren Aronofsky-directed film. The hearing on the appeal of District Judge William Paley III’s ruling of 2-years ago was held on January 30 this year. The original 2011 lawsuit against Fox Searchlight set the stage for a slew of intern class actions and settlements against media companies based on claims that the interns were doing what should be classified as paid work. Unlike other studios and companies that have gone for multi-million dollar settlements in their interns cases, Fox has fought hard to get the status defined in their favor – and today a 3-judge panel moved things distinctly in that direction.

Still, the eventual ruling in favor of the pair paved the way for other Hollywood heavyweights like NBCUniversal, ICM Partners, Viacom and Lionsgate to be hit with similar suits. Anxiety over where the Black Swan case could go was one reason why a number of those actions have recently resulted in settlements. Trying to get its legal house in order, Hollywood has also seen studios and agencies turn their Intern programs into paid positions – moves that mean there are far fewer intern spot available for those looking to break into the industry.

16. StRyDeRxX

StRyDeRxX Bling Bling Gold

Reputations:
    Exactly... this settlement is shit. The sad part is that the plaintiff will probably accept it rather than drag this suit through the courts.

Grillo will probably get a check for $5 courtesy of THSS now! :jj:

ARM and reno like this.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Recently on Boomer & Carton, Craig mentioned that they were understaffed. I guess they no longer have interns?
    Anyone else hear this last week?
    Long story short it sounded like Carton cryptically took a shot at Stern and the Intern lawsuit.
    Craig rattled off a dozen names of former WFAN interns that have gone onto real on air jobs in radio and TV........and that they had a real intern program that taught college kids the radio business instead of other shows that used their interns to go on breakfast and lunch runs or get stuck logging in every word spoken on the show like the Stern interns did. Imagine you are the Stern show intern that had to type COCK 50 times a show.......:jj:

wife is a whore likes this.
  18. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    Normie and Chime Time are no better than interns themselves. It is the sports version of the Miserable Men Show. Bunch of fruits fawning over each other.

Nemo likes this.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    That is how low the bar is now.
    I listen to them live and listen to Stern later in the day....so I can FF through the show

wife is a whore likes this.
  20. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    I just don't leave the house until 10AM and listen to Joe and Evan.

Nemo likes this.