SHOCK: 80% Of Recent NYC High School Graduates 'Cannot Read'...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Mar 8, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Officials: 80 Percent Of Recent NYC High School Graduates Cannot Read[/h] [h=4]To Combat Problem, CUNY Starts Low-Cost Immersion Remedial Program[/h] [h=6]March 7, 2013 10:55 PM[/h]

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork)
    — It’s an education bombshell.

Nearly 80 percent of New York City high school graduates need to relearn basic skills before they can enter the City University’s community college system.
    The number of kids behind the 8-ball is the highest in years, CBS 2′s Marcia Kramer reported Thursday.
    When they graduated from city high schools, students in a special remedial program at the Borough of Manhattan Community College couldn’t make the grade.
    They had to re-learn basic skills — reading, writing and math — first before they could begin college courses.
    They are part of a disturbing statistic.
    Officials told CBS 2′s Kramer that nearly 80 percent of those who graduate from city high schools arrived at City University’s community college system without having mastered the skills to do college-level work.
    In sheer numbers it means that nearly 11,000 kids who got diplomas from city high schools needed remedial courses to re-learn the basics.

To meet the needs of the students, City University has launched a special program called CUNY Start. It provides low-cost immersion classes. Sherry Mason teaches a writing class.
    “They get lost sometimes in the classroom and in CUNY Start we give them a lot more one-on-one attention, small group work. It helps them achieve more in a short amount of time and so they’re able to get on with their credit classes,†Mason said.
    Nicholas Gonzalez, a graduate of New Utrecht High School in Brooklyn, participated in the CUNY Start program. He said he would never had been able to face college credit classes without it.
    “I was nervous about how hard it was going to be, how much of a change it was going to be from high school,†Gonzalez said. “I knew I needed to take remedial, If I started right away with credit classes it wasnt going to be so well, so it’s better off starting somewhere.â€
    In its defense, the NYC Department of Education said it has raised high school graduation rates by 40 percent over the last seven years. And that the number of students needing remedial courses to do college work has declined slightly — by half a percentage point overall.

2. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i was able to read before i started kindergarten....my parents had books in the house. i knew the basics of reading by 5yrs old (as did my daughter). my parents bought me wonder books (or were they called golden books) that had pictures and simple words... and i loved them.

3. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    That's a damned shame too. I always taught my kids that reading well was THE most important thing that school taught, because if you can read well? You can teach yourself/learn anything else you want.

I also think phonics is the absolute worst way of teaching reading/spelling that there is. This thing of letting kids spell it how they want in the first few years of school is not doing them any favors. They had letters to Santa in the local paper a few years back, all written by 1st and 2nd graders and they were all just horrific. The majority of the words spelled phonetically.
    We would have been held back a grade when I was going to school had we spelled that badly.

4. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  5. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    i read well. but my grammar/spelling was prolly on 3rd grade level after HS.
    there was a kid on my HS football team who couldnt read or write. they gave him passing grades so he could play. our team sucked anyways so i dont know why that was important.

PS: stop making threads about nemo

6. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    yeah, its because the schools didn't "get enough money". Still believe that one?

The dems have been dumbing down our population for 40 years now, and its working- looks who's on the WH
    you see, strong families and educated, self-sufficient people dont need govt handouts, they just need gov't to get the hell out of the way

7. balloon knot

balloon knot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    exactly, the solution put forth by politicians that have full support of teachers unions would be to increase money.

reagan said it best "only in government can one fail and be rewarded with more money"

the war on poverty goes on

8. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    agreed. this wasnt happening when a rep was in the WH :rolleye:

9. jimbronie

jimbronie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thank god the mayor outlawed large soft drinks,salt and sugar! Whew!

10. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits Gold

Reputations:
    well now they aren't allowed 20 ounce sodas these numbers should improve :derp:

11. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    When the hell are they going to stop social promotion and either reduce class sizes by hiring more teachers and/or fire the teachers whose students do the worst?

No accountability. F!

:fail:

12. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits Gold

Reputations:
    damnit...you ninja'd me! :pissed:

13. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    :lol:

Reps for that. That motherfucker is only interested in himself.

14. jimbronie

jimbronie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I heard on bubba he is now going after people who listen to their earbuds at a high volume.

15. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    our poor dont have money or time for no book learning, just cell phones, hair & nails.

16. balloon knot

balloon knot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    was the last rep in the wh proposing increased taxes or using money to go away from public schools i.e. charter schools?

unions also fund reps, not to the extent of dems though, not even close

17. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    That's why he got the reps and you didn't. :giggle:

18. usedtampon

usedtampon Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In other words, 20% of the population of New York is Jewish.

19. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    There's a controversial woman in education (I think her last name is Rhee) and she fired a whole shitload of people who were sucking ass and it painted a target on her.

I saw some documentary about her on youtube. It was pretty interesting.

20. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    I watched too much tv as a little kid, but since I knew how to tell time at an early age, the tv guide taught me how to read. :jj: I just saw what time Bewitched was on and found 9:00 am in the tv guide and saw that the name in the tv guide matched what was on the opening credits.

Voilà! :yes: