Shooting. Help or run?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Morrisb, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Philip Zimbardo, a Stanford University professor emeritus and colleagues used a nationally-representative sample of 4,000 adults and found that 20% qualified as heroes — they had helped during a dangerous emergency, taken a stand against injustice, or sacrificed for a stranger..

"Heroes are ordinary people," says Zimbardo, of San Francisco. "You become a hero by doing an extraordinary deed."

In the study, both blacks and Hispanics were twice as likely as whites to have performed heroic deeds. Zimbardo says they want to do follow-up research on the reasons for the racial/ethnic differences, which he speculates could be attributed to "greater opportunities to respond" or "being discriminated against makes them have more compassion to others in need."

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/mind-soul/doing-good/2011-01-14-heroes14_ST_N.htm

People in bigs cities are also more likely to help. This reminds me of What Would You Do (ABC show). Most of the time it's the women while the wasp men have their tales between their legs. :facepalm:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  2. Popeye Saavedra

Popeye Saavedra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;ueh_1PeJhaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueh_1PeJhaQ[/video]

3. Beths Arab

Beths Arab Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Most of the time evil whitey has a job that eats up most of his time so he has to leave the heroics to the blaeks and hispanics that most certainly have way more times on their hands.

If the roles were reversed and the Blaeks and Hispanics supported evil Whitey then he too would have time to hang out with his boyz and be the hero of the hood.

4. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Aww. Someone got hurt.

[video=youtube;X0ONij6eB-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0ONij6eB-k&feature=related[/video]

5. Beths Arab

Beths Arab Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Just some good old fashioned trolling sir!:)

6. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    lol
    [video=youtube;czl8fPJSxg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czl8fPJSxg0[/video]

7. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
    Shoot.

8. Popeye Saavedra

Popeye Saavedra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Trolling? Here? WTF?

9. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    In all seriousness I think the word hero is over used. That pilot that landed the plane in the Hudson River comes to mind, I mean is he really a hero? His ass was on that jet also.

10. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    If I have a gun, end it immediately. No gun? Duck.

11. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    robin ?

12. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    i don't see how this can be an accurate poll of anything other than black/Hispanic talk a tougher game than white people. you know, the whole, "say that to my face" attitude. in this PC environment there is no doubt that white people come off as submissive while black/hispanic come off more aggressive in general, however; in the heat of a situation, you really don't know who will do what. some who say they wouldn't, would. some who say they would, wouldn't.

i'll let dave chappelle explain the rest.
    [video=youtube;lflsBd5vRUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflsBd5vRUk[/video]

13. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    i suspect there is no way to tell what someone will do until they are put into that situation. stress and danger engage a different part of the brain that we usually do not experience. i doubt any lab test of this could be accurate, so I agree this is probably just a poorly veiled attempt at a kind of racism pitting whites and non-whites so someone can get published.

14. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    glad to see you're feeling well enough to visit us, Robin!

15. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    i've been a little bit of a conspiracy theorist in this regard. the race wars are promoted in the media by design to keep people distracted and waring with each other while big international corporations continue to rob the US and market junk to the populace.

yes, i have enough self awareness to know i am sounding like this guy :facepalm:
    [​IMG]

16. JDDaBadAhz

JDDaBadAhz Active Member

Reputations:
  17. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I saw that video of the front of the theather and most of the people weren't exactly hauling ass out of there, had the area already been secured? As far as helping, it depends, if I was with my family they would be first priority. It's hard to know after that, probably depends on the situation to be honest.

18. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    1. When it comes to studies, garbage in, garbage out.

2. Self-reporting = bullshit responses. Lower levels of honesty are positively correlated with lower intelligence. There are also massive differences culturally in how one answers questions like this. Self-esteem also comes into play, as a confident person who likes himself is more likely to tell the truth and say he's not done anything brave than someone who feels they need the interviewer's approval.

3. There are MASSIVE differences between facing real danger, taking a stand when it really matters (vs when the consequences are trivial), and the simple act of helping someone out. If not controlled for these differences, Zimbardo's conclusion is worthless. Thus, the answer "I once let a woman with a kid in front of me in the grocery line" = "I crawled under a burning car to pull a woman and her baby out". Worthless unless you control for that.

4. "Hero" is the most overused term on earth. What used to be called "common decency" now earns you a gold star for being special. That's how far we've fallen.

5. Comic book readers are hardly, as a group, athletic and brimming with testosterone compared to the average. Had the theater been full of Marines or dock workers, it might have gone down differently.

19. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I help my own and run like a mofo.

20. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Our system is corrupt, no doubt. But I'm curious. How do you feel you are being robbed by "international corporations"? Ever consider that it's the combination of government and corporations ("crony capitalism") that is at fault? Or do you think plasma TV's and computers are made by local mom-pop operations?