Sir Paul McCartney Reveals Frustration At John Lennons 'Martyr' Status After He Was Murdered…...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by teehee, Jul 5, 2015.

1. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    'People started to say he WAS the Beatles': Paul McCartney reveals frustration at John Lennon's 'martyr' status after he was shot dead on street
    • Sir Paul has been searingly honest in a wide-ranging interview with Esquire
    • Singer revealed annoyance at Lennon's elevation to 'top Beatle' after death
    • Spoke of his anger at Yoko Ono diminishing his role in the popular band
    • Also disclosed a schoolboy crush on the Queen - who was a 'babe'
    Sir Paul McCartney has revealed his frustration with his former bandmate John Lennon becoming a 'martyr' after he was shot dead on a New York street.

Speaking in a interview with Esquire Magazine, Sir Paul said Lennon's death made him into a 'JFK' - something which has rankled the 73-year-old singer in the intervening years.

He explained the band had been 'equal' following the 1970 split, but Lennon's death had changed all of that.

The musician was murdered by Mark Chapman in December 1980, a decade after The Beatles had broken up and they had all gone onto other projects.

[​IMG]

'Now John's a martyr': Sir Paul revealed frustration at how Lennon was elevated to top Beatle after his death

‘When John got shot, aside from the pure horror of it, the lingering thing was, OK, well now John's a martyr. A JFK,' he said.:confused:

'So what happened was, I started to get frustrated because people started to say, “Well, he was The Beatles.”

'And me, George and Ringo would go: "Er, hang on, it's only a year ago, and we were all equal-ish".

'And post-Beatles he did more great work, but he also did a lot of not-great work.

'Now the fact that he's now martyred has elevated him to a James Dean, and beyond.'

[​IMG]

John Lennon and Yoko Ono. Paul McCartney has now revealed he got frustrated with Yoko after John's death

[​IMG]

John Lennon's body is wheeled away after he was assassinated by Mark Chapman in December 1980

[​IMG]

Huge stars: The Beatles were widely regarded as the greatest and most influential act of the rock era

2. EddyG

EddyG MORON Banned User

Reputations:
    Chapman couldn`t locate McCartney,thats why.

3. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    It's tough to feel sorry for McCartney, even though he is correct.

Must be the billions of dollars in the bank.

4. NickKorach

NickKorach Active Member

Reputations:
    Paul McCartney is a dickhead.

5. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    The Beatles havent made an album in 50 years. Lennon has been dead for 35.

Who cares what PM has to say about anything, much less his bitterness over not being "top Beatle."

6. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Well, right or wrong, he's saying how he feels ... :dontknow:

7. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Poor guy. Sure, he's had an extra 35 years of life than his former bandmate, but truly, he's the real victim. What's dying before you can see your kid enter middle school when you've got legacy, man.

"John was going to make me a partner!"

8. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Oh, and Paul, John may have done a lot of "not-great work" as well, but it's nothing compared to the sheer excessive amount of maudlin, sing-songy, bicyle-built-for-two sickly-sweet tripe you put out, even if we cut the comparisons off at 1980.

Which you'd never know based on his modern setlists or TV appearances comprised of 95% Beatles material and barely a song or two from his scary "great" solo catalogue...

9. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    Maybe Paul didn't attain similar status because after the split Paul made crappy pop music that pandered to the current generations. Even though they all were in it for the money, Paul seemed more blatant and crude about it.

10. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    John, Paul, George and Ringo

Once a second banana... :rolleyes:

11. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    I think the Chapman shit just woke people up to the true merits of their work. They were equal before because nobody but the fanatics really broke it down to "who wrote this, who wrote that," it was just Beatles music.

And now with hindsight in tow we can definitively say even George friggin' Harrisongs wrote better shit than Paul.

12. Beffquus

Beffquus Scripta sunt in stellis Gold

Reputations:
    Somehow, I don't think George and Ringo ever felt like equals. It's no surprise that George had such good solo material - he could barely get a song on an album (those are the big pieces of voinyl, kids) when The Beatles were together.

And I'd rather be in the spot of being able to give an interview about my hurt feelings 36 years after my band mate's murder than being the one gunned down (although if it meant not listening to Yoko's screeching for all those years...)

13. sternadamsapple

sternadamsapple Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am sure these quotes seemed reasonable when he was spitting them out. But to complain that your bandmate was hogging all the credit due to being shot dead is a position you should probably keep to yourself. McCartney is a musical savant, and not very bright otherwise.

14. jackieavenger

jackieavenger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  15. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fuck him, asshole, all that money and he still complains. Die die die

16. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    With my age, I knew them as solo artists before I "discovered" the Beatles and with a childhood filled with horrid songs like Let 'Em In, Silly Love Songs, Jet, Say, Say, Say and all of that - there was no doubt in my mind about which guy was more an artist type and which was a pop writer, and I had no emotional attachment to either one.

Scarlett Ohara, Samurai, x76 and 4 others like this.
  17. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    such a dick thing to say. sir paul is a whiny bitch.

i always thought of them as the beatles and still do. i listen to the beatles not john or paul or george or that other fellow, what's his name.

i listened to some of their solo work and the one that comes to mind first is george's - all things must pass. i can barely remember anything the others did. Jet? :jj:

18. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Was Lennon the primary writer on "Cry Baby Cry"?

19. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    I've been waiting for an opportunity to crowbar this in and this looks like as good of a time as any.

Yoko during a Beatles recording session letting out her artistic muse on Paul's dime and over his rehearsal attempts:

See how long you can make it.

Alisonsbankacct and Beffquus like this.
  20. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    yes.

Usually it was written (almost solely) by who sings it, with a couple exceptions like "Hard Day's Night" being sung by Paul but written by John, and the very, very early stuff which was legit 50/50-ish collaboration. Though they often comment that the other partner was great at writing the bridges for the primary writer's songs (like Lennon's confessional "I used to be cruel to my woman / I beat her and kept her away from the things that she loved..." on Paul's "Getting Better"), hence the sustained partnership in writing credits.

Pooh bear and HypocriteHowie like this.