Sirius adds 700,000 subscribers..revenues up..

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    http://news.yahoo.com/sirius-xm-revenue-subscriber-gains-net-profit-falls-111628810.html

Caller: "Thank you King!"
    :facepalm:

.........Sirius XM has hundreds of channels that play few commercials and feature exclusive content, such as Howard Stern's radio show.........

.........Sirius XM has satellite radios in 70 percent of new vehicles and generates the majority of its revenue through subscriptions. The company said it plans to add a net 1.6 million subscribers this year. It currently has 25.1 million subscribers.......

2. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    So Oderus is creating mulls on SiriusXM now?

or are those numbers just from new car sales and do not represent renewals after the initial free period expires?

3. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The only thing that has saved Sirius is the car market. They made a brilliant move to get in bed with the car companies years ago and offer free trial subscriptions. What has really helped them is what the car manufacturers did in the last several years. The biggest feature added to new cars now is through the technology put into the dashboard. It's no longer just GPS. With Ford using SYNC and Cadillac using CUE, and every other manufacturer out there trying to turn your dash console into one big smart phone, it's no wonder subscriptions are up.

For instance, when I got my last car I could use my navigation screen to get traffic updates, weather reports, Doppler radar, sports scores, movie theater info, etc. All of this is linked through the Sirius Nav/Traffic subscription. For most new car owners, when you lose all of those features after 6 months you are likely to call Sirius and pay the $7.95 a month for that feature alone. Remember, in the Sirius world that is a subscription. I could have the Nav/Traffic option and not the radio feature and technically I am still a subscriber.

Bottom line, their new added revenue has nothing to with Howard or even the channels. It has everything to do with new car models and the integrated features that depend on having a Sirius/XM subscription.

4. David999

David999 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Stern is on 2 days a week when not on vacation for half the year. Likelihood of someone subscribing because of his show would be .5% at best:coffee:

5. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    It's entirely tied to the car market which has been booming. A lot of people like the passive listening of the music channels while commuting, content is secondary.

6. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Agreed - furthermore, Apple and Google are going to FLATTEN Sirius in the coming years by making their move into the car - giving maps with POI / traffic / all kinds of shit in a superior manner over Sirius. Which leaves just the radio channels - you know, paying for radio with a shitload of commercials. :facepalm:

Sirius is doomed in the next 5 years.

7. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Robin, people want to hear me so much that they are buying new cars just to listen to me."

8. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
    I've been thinking that myself lately. It may be time to dump my Sirius stock since I've (finally) made my money back on it.

I keep thinking that Howard is going to make one last marble grab with Apple and sign up to provide content on iTunes Radio when it comes out. Hell, he's already done ads for Apple over the past few years (or was angling for it, knowing something was in the works).

"iTunes Radio is going to be a real revolution in radio, Robin! My fans are going to love it! You can hear me anytime, anyplace on your iPhone, or iPad mini! Everyone's got one of those! Right, Robin?

Look, it's a great product, and while Apple has obviously paid me to host this new show, I don't get a nickel based on how many people sign up. I could care less. I'm just trying to do something I think my fans would like, Robin!"

9. sloth22

sloth22 Active Member

Reputations:
    Except Apple's not some start-up that's gonna throw crazy money at him. He'll end up being paid by the listen, it won't even cover JD.

10. twitchz28

twitchz28 Member

Reputations:
    Just bought a car a month ago. Forgot about the free trial, 3 weeks in Sirius started calling me at least once a day to buy a subscription. They never even activated the fucking radio and are hounding me like bill collectors to sign up. It's a fucking joke!

11. Beths Arab

Beths Arab Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Stern works less and less and the subs go up and up. Apparently a lot of people don't give a fuck about The King Of All Sellouts!

12. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    My car has satellite built-in. My previous car was "satellite ready" and cost me $700 to have it installed. The built-in radios are the key to getting subscribers as the extra fee was easily avoidable for many car buyers. I was able to afford it, but was pissed.

Right now, Howard Stern is 7.5 years removed from being a terrestrial national radio host and the national E! channel show. He has his followers from the old days but most people who do not have satellite radio have never heard of him.

13. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    Well, just look at you, with all your facts and stuff. :coffee:

14. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    That!!...I got a year free when I leased my truck...I like Raw Dog, Blue Collar Comedy and the Comedy Central channel. It IS NOT b/c of Howard.