Sirius And XM Subscriber Numbers - The Reality

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Jul 20, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    i was reading a thread last week on SFN and was floored by the idiocy of the members in estimating Howard's listeners, most of them gave numbers exceeding the receivers capable of tuning in the show. It seems that Howard has done an effective job of making people think his show is available to all satelite subscribers because not a one of them factored in that XM and non premium subs don't get Stern

27 million total subs

55% are XM leaving around 12 million Sirius subscriptions add in 500,000 Best of Sirius buyers and you get 12.5 million with access to Sirius programming.

Then subtract those with "mostly music", rental cars, fleet vehicles etc. and you get about 10 million receivers capable of hearing Stern. Then take out the multiple subscriptions and you get a max of around 8 million potential listeners. So all those saying Stern has 12 million, 20 million listeners are saying the impossible.

As far as actual listeners it becomes more subjective but the vast majority of Sirius listeners only listen to the music channels, Sirius also counts unsold vehicles containing the service as subscribers. There are also a large number of Stern's remaining listeners that purchased lifetime subs back in 2005/6, they haven't added a dime to the revenue steam in a decade. Stern's overall impact at Sirius is far less than many would believe.

Tracy, njguy8, Guacamole and 23 others like this.
  2. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard's numbers are embarrassing to both him and Sirius. If the number were worth bragging about it, we would be hearing about them non-stop.

The silence is not only deafening, it's condemning.

3. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    awesome. good job Clark Kent.

4. Quedee

Quedee Wise Ass Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    Additionally, it is also likely that the "Free 30 Day" subs are counted as real subscriptions. I know a few people that regularly get a free sub with a brand new temporary email address every 30 days. This has been going on for years now.

Gusbuss, Tr000otgr, PI Nate and 3 others like this.
  5. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Nobody knows... I find it absurd to think he's got 12mil listeners, just as absurd are the people who think he's got 100k listeners. Either way, the shows are watered down, hardly on, and he's paid already. Wgaf

6. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bottom line is that Howard believes, or at least implies, that every Sirius and XM subscriber is a listener to his show. Nothing could be further from the truth, but the gullible believe.

SalsMasterShake, Bye You! and smichal like this.
  7. BooeyBanana

BooeyBanana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard needs the more money to pay off the contactors

8. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    I just don't understand why he thinks that he has a prayer of being resigned at anything resembling the ridiculous deal that he has right now.

9. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller floating around

Reputations:
    WHOA!! SFN is still online??

10. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    even further digging illustrated that only single digit % of that 12 mil subs listen or care about listening to Stern Show

smichal likes this.
  11. guruhugz

guruhugz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard Stern bought 1 million twitter followers 4 years ago. At that time, after all the fakes were added, his follower count was 1.55 million. That number has increased very little in 4 years. He is not popular.

Look at the official YouTube channel. Videos have around 10,000 views each. He is not popular.

12. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    Retweets :whistle: :shitcoffee:

CrucifiedAGT likes this.
  13. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    LOL@ people of earth....like his audience is bigger than 40 or 50....

14. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Look at the numbers for AGT. If he had a big radio audience, the number of people watching would be higher, not lower. I think his real radio numbers are pretty low.

DiamondGoddess and BethSucks like this.
  15. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My guess is he has about 1 million listeners give or take a 100k. The discussion on SFN is stupid thinking he has something like 20 million listeners and more than he did back in the terrestrial days.

Think about it. Back in the 90s, I remember talking to people about the show all the time. Almost every one of my friends listened. Now I know of two people who still listen.

16. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    not one way on god's green earth that he still has a million listeners.

No way.

17. puncher

puncher VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    We cannot forget that the only scientific ratings were done by Arbitron in 2007. At that time, they reported that Stern has 1.4 million listeners cumulative per week....not daily, but cumulative. My question has always been....has Howie's numbers increased or decreased since then? I am no expert, but I would say decrease for sure. Its pretty evident that Stern's popularity has decreased tremendously, and if he had 200,000 a day back in 2007, right now the numbers would be embarrassing.......that is why Howie never, ever discusses them.

18. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    New vehicles is a huge chunk of their subscriber base. There were 16.5 million new vehicles sold in the U.S. last year. Aren't all new radios the SiriusXM radios? I know Ford used to be XM and GM was Sirius, but I'm pretty sure that Ford is now SiriusXM and can get Howard. So most of those 16M cars come with satellite subs for one year. SiriusXM counts those as subscriptions. I'm starting to wonder how many people actually pay full price for the service. It can't be many. My wife subscribes in her Chrysler van for super cheap. I want to say it was something like $25 for six months. I'd love to know how many paid subscribers continue to pay mostly based on listening to Howard. It can't be a very large number at all. Of those subscribers, how many pay full price for the service? Howchie's value appears to have dramatically shrunk.

DiamondGoddess likes this.
  19. Trophy Knife

Trophy Knife Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Comments:

[​IMG] Steven Jones ‏@Tweets_bySteve 49m49 minutes ago
    @sternshow a rarity indeed

[​IMG] Skilly Philpot ‏@SkillyPhilpot 3h3 hours ago
    @sternshow One of these days he's gonna come back from these all too frequent "breaks" and nobody's gonna care. @HowardStern @SIRIUSXM
    [​IMG] J moy ‏@TheRealJeffie 4h4 hours ago

20. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Here's the window sticker for a 2015 Ford it says Sirius only. I think the difference is that the new receivers can access the other service if you choose but you still have to decide between Sirius and XM or the whole "Best of" packages would be pointless.

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FM5K7D87FGC50503

GM seems to provide all access on Cadillacs but only for three months:

http://www.mkb.com/f_WindowSticker?VIN=1G6AA1RX2F0117436

DiamondGoddess and telecaster like this.