Sirius Could Do Better without Stern, Analyst Says

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    If Howard Stern leaves Sirius XM at the end of his contract, it gives Sirius the opportunity to spend more money on new talent - which could be a move that would attract new subscribers, says Standard & Poor’s analyst Tuna Amobi.
    And those new listeners would come at a lower cost of acquisition than the company spent on the 2 million or so that Howard Stern is credited with attracting when he came aboard in 2006, according to Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Amobi says that, while as many as 300,000 could quit the service if Stern leaves at the end of this year, subscriber growth will continue overall.
    Sirius can expect to add about 1.1 million new subscribers this year on top of the 18.8 million it boasted at the end of 2009, followed by another 1.4 million in 20011, says Amobi.
    Profit and Loss
    Sirius XM reported a loss of $342.8 million last year, but has seen a profit in each of the past three quarters. Stern’s contract accounted for more than a quarter of the $370.5 million the company spent on programming and content last year.
    Sirius stock has jumped by 74% this year.
    An App for Stern
    Howard Stern told listeners earlier this month that he is “pretty sure†he’ll leave Sirius next year. Some believe Stern may go back to traditional radio, with Clear Channel’s John Hogan vying for the shock jock, having said that Clear Channel would be the “most logical†company for Stern.
    Stern himself has suggested that he could launch an internet podcast which would be available by subscription as an app, reports the New York Daily News.

http://www.mediabuyerplanner.com/entry/54676/sirius-could-do-better-without-stern-analyst-says/

2. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
    If him leaving is good for Sirius then I'm all for it because I own a lot of Sirius stock. I bought most of my shares when it was down around a nickel per share. :hhh:

3. Hateman

Hateman Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Come back to The Howard Forum

4. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    Makes sense. That's 80mil a year less they have to spend on good programming and that's just his marboes.

5. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    Huh? What's he saying Robin?

6. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That article is three years old. At this point, the analyst probably believes the company is doing worse because they re-signed Stern. They probably lost 300,000 subscribers with a 2-3 day a week Stern-lite.

7. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    why is he revamping the studio?

8. Hateman

Hateman Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    And not fill the Artie chair?

9. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    daaaang!!!

I sold mine at like $0.40 on it's way down

lost a couple thousand dollars :facepalm:

10. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    Are you serious man? I have deaded more people for bumping old threads than any other reason. Dont do it again our you will be deaded on the spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.