Entertainment Sirius Pisses on Subscribers with Archived Shows

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Precious, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Precious

Precious Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cheapskate Alert

Sirius's purchase of Wiggy's content follows their acquisition of Car Talk's and The Bob Edwards Show's old tapes to be played on The Future of Radio ad nauseam.

Anybody see a pattern here?

In September, Sirius canned Edwards -- a more popular, more skilled interviewer with much better guests than Wiggy -- to save shekels, possibly to fill Wiggy's man purse with cat litter money.

“They think it’s [The Bob Edwards Show] a very expensive show," Edwards said. “I think the guys up at SiriusXM are more interested in midget tossing.”

Unlike Wiggy, Edwards had a huge verified audience. His former show, "Morning Edition" on NPR, attracted more than 13 million listeners weekly.

Bad enough when shit rises to the top. Worse at Sirius, where archived shit rises to the top.

SiriusXM cancels Bob Edwards Show, but weekly public radio show will continue
    By Jon Kalish | September 17, 2014
    LIKETWEETPRINT EMAIL
    After nearly 10 years on satellite radio, The Bob Edwards Show will cease production after Sept. 26, when the last of the original shows airs.

SiriusXM plans to continue feeding rebroadcasts of the program to its subscribers. Bob Edwards Weekend, the Public Radio International series produced from a selection of SiriusXM interviews, will continue to run in repeats, according to the distributor.

“The program will continue to be a compilation of interviews that Bob has conducted in the past,” said Julia Yager, PRI senior v.p. marketing, sales and distribution. “We have communicated [that SiriusXM is halting production of new episodes] to stations, and talked about it at the [PRPD] conference last week, so it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.” The weekly program airs on 153 stations.

Edwards ends his decade-long satellite radio run reluctantly. “It certainly wasn’t my choice,” he told Current. “They think it’s a very expensive show. We have a staff of nine people in addition to me. They say that’s enormous. They have entire channels programmed by one guy. We’re doing entirely different things, but that doesn’t register with them. They just look at the costs.”

Charlie Summers, a fan of Edwards who began subscribing to XM Satellite Radio in 2004 when the former NPR host joined its lineup, is angry about the cancellation.

“I have listened to it every weekday short of being desperately ill or in the middle of the ocean,” said the systems analyst from York, Pa. He criticized SiriusXM for embracing shock jocks such as Howard Stern and Opie & Anthony. “I think the guys up at SiriusXM are more interested in midget tossing,” he said.

SiriusXM did not respond to emails and phone calls seeking comment on the show’s cancellation.

Edwards began producing the weekdaily Bob Edwards Show on a year-to-year contract in October 2004. Satellite radio was a new business then, and he signed on with XM, which offered him a new home after his ouster as host of NPRMorning Edition sparked an outcry from public radio listeners. He later paired with PRI to offer Bob Edwards Weekend for local public radio broadcasts.

But satellite radio couldn’t sustain two competing companies, and Sirius Satellite Radio acquired XM in 2008.

Over the years, many NPR alumnae joined Edwards on the production. His current staff of nine producers includes Chad Campbell, who worked on Talk of the Nation, and Ed McNulty, who was part of the Weekend Edition Saturday production team.

A native of Kentucky, Edwards spent 30 years at NPR, where he co-hosted All Things Considered before being tapped to serve as sole anchor for Morning Edition at its 1979 debut. Edwards was replaced by co-anchors Steve Inskeep and Renee Montagne in 2004, and offered special correspondent status at NPR. In an acrimonious split, he left the network to launch a new show with XM.

Edwards insists there is no bad blood between him and NPR, which he says he listens to regularly. “I’ve been over there a bunch of times, and I have a lot of friends over there. I still think of them as the New York Times of broadcasting. I’m a little biased. My wife works there as a news anchor.” Edwards is married to NPR newscaster Windsor Johnston.

Though the audience for Edwards’ XM effort was a fraction of the size of Morning Edition’s, to his surprise the quality of guests willing to appear on The Bob Edwards Show did not fall off.

“They remembered me and they asked for me, frankly,” Edwards told Current.

And he found doing the long-form interview show was much easier than anchoring a daily two-hour newsmagazine.

“It was an absolute joy,” said Edwards. “We did what we wanted to do. We had no orders from management. It was complete freedom, and I’m very grateful to have had 10 years of that.”

Edwards estimates that he conducted some 5,000 interviews for his SiriusXM show and believes they comprise a valuable historical and cultural record. He has donated the archive to the Library of Congress. Among important Americans interviewed by Edwards but no longer alive are activist Father Robert Drinan, historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr. and playwright Wendy Wasserstein.

“If you want long-form interviews with those people late in their career, there they are,” said Edwards.

SiriusXM plans to retain one of Edwards’ producers to stay on and assemble shows from the archive.

The Bob Edwards Show provides 10 hours of programming in each weekday feed of SiriusXM’s XMPR channel. When it goes into repeats, it joins another archive-derived program, Car Talk, which airs six hours a day on the same channel. If Sirius XM maintains that schedule, two-thirds of the channel’s programming each day will be devoted to defunct pubradio programs.

For his final show, Edwards plans appearances by NPR’s Susan Stamberg, the Kitchen Sisters and Tavis Smiley.

“I just thought that for the last show it would be appropriate to have some public radio people on,” he said.

Edwards, who is 67, definitely wants to keep working. Would he like to return to public radio?

“If someone wants me, that would be wonderful. I’ve got a lot left,” said Edwards.

RoachCoachJokes likes this.
  2. Rabid Dogman

Rabid Dogman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is that part of the new contract? Sirius, not Howard, now owns the Stern Show tapes?

3. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    I think they only have them for 12 years if I heard correctly.

4. dexterdog

dexterdog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sirius can't be serious.

HorseFanNetwork likes this.
  5. todd packer

todd packer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  6. !!!kaboom!!!

!!!kaboom!!! Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    They may as well change the name of the service to SternXM. Everything revolves around that one show. I guess all the execs there are middle-age guys who live in Greenwich and were jerks in high school -- typical Stern apologists.

7. Rabid Dogman

Reputations:
    That's very interesting, so Howard "leased" his archive to SXM. I wonder if he demanded final edit authority, because I doubt Sirius has any interest in editing a product to satisfy Wiggy's ego.

RONNIE THE CLAW, Xent and ARM like this.
  8. ShutupMoron

ShutupMoron Unknown Member VIP

Reputations:
    They exclusive rights to all of Wiggy's audio/video content through 2027.

SXM The Howard Stern Show Press Release

SiriusXM and Howard Stern Productions also agreed to a 12-year deal for use of Stern's extensive audio and video library drawn from performances, specials, and shows spanning his more than 30-year broadcasting career. Video plans will be announced at a future date and will include video of The Howard Stern Show as well as the Howard Stern archives and special programming.

9. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    "We have 28,000 hours of tapes Robin. The listeners are going to love hearing all of our classic bits. Robin?"

blindbella, Xent, WHTHS and 3 others like this.
  10. ShutupMoron

Reputations:
    Of course Wiggy will edit all the content SXM will replay. Why would anyone think otherwise?

11. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
  12. Rabid Dogman

Reputations:
    Well, you might think (if you pretend for a moment that SXM is a well-run company) that they would understand that Wiggy's old shows and bits only have value if they're unedited.
    Take me for example, I don't listen much to "evolved Howard" but I love listening to the old shows on YT and other "unofficial" sources. I very well might pay for access to an online archive, but if I find that the content is edited into oblivion like they are on the 101 replays, I'll waste no time calling them up and demanding a refund.

RONNIE THE CLAW likes this.
  13. Ba Ba Boolio

Ba Ba Boolio VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  14. Snort

Snort Something witty Gold

Reputations:
    That faggot-blue font you used was too gay to read.

Jenjim2021 and Whores&Headlocks like this.
  15. ShutupMoron

Reputations:
    Howard Stern Productions is providing the content to SXM. You'd better put SXM customer service on speed dial if you're expecting all the old content to run un-edited. Just sayin'. :c

blindbella and Rabid Dogman like this.
  16. Rabid Dogman

Reputations:
    Well, hope is a thing with feathers. One can always dream.

17. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Actually, I would probably pay a sub for unedited, on demand access to the archives. Would love to just pick any year (probably the last couple of Jackie years) and listen to the whole thing.

Beths Arab likes this.
  18. Whores&Headlocks

Whores&Headlocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Me too.
    I would like to hear random shows where there was no big guest and just them bullshitting for 4 hrs.
    A lot of the big stuff made it to E and to YT, etc., I miss the crew just riffing.

19. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    Waaah cry harder you faggot

20. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    hey Precious are you DTF?