Sirius XM blocks all third party apps

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by username, Oct 6, 2012.

1. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    From Marko.org (The inventor of Instapaper and someone who advertises on THSS. One of the few non-scam ads on the channels)

Wonder why SiriusXM locks out third party apps. I would guess that it have something to do with Howard. Howard gets a bonus for each Sirius app installed. Howard/Bushwald where probably angry that third party apps existed. Howard needs his bonus to add to the 1.5 billion+ he have raked in during his career.

A shame:
    Pulsar has always existed at the mercy of SiriusXM, and their recent actions make it clear that they wish to lock out all third-party players. We enjoyed both making and using Pulsar, and we’ll be very disappointed to see it go. It is clear, however, that SiriusXM wants you to do all your listening through their web-based players.
    I’ve been a Sirius XM subscriber since Howard Stern announced his move there in late 2004 (when it was just Sirius, before the merger with XM), and I’ve tried many standalone radios, car radios, and software players. The worst way to listen to Sirius is their website player. And the second-worst way is their iPhone app.But their moves to lock out third-party players aren’t a surprise, for the same reason their iPhone app and website are so awful: Sirius XM fundamentally doesn’t understand or value technology, and they truly suck at it. The company is run by old-media guys with their heads up their asses, and it shows.Sirius XM could have been what we all listen to on our computers and phones all day, like Pandora and Spotify. Instead, it’s such a pain in the ass and works so poorly with technology that most of its subscribers probably only listen in cars that came with Sirius radios, and only until their free 1-year subscriptions expire.

2. Anyonenow

Anyonenow Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    the guy from marko.org made one incorrect statement: he should have said

"Sirius XM fundamentally doesn’t understand or value its customers"

Sirius is the flea market merchant of broadcasting: no concern about repeat or long term customers . Thief-in-the-night businesspeople.

4. ShutupMoron

ShutupMoron Unknown Member VIP

Reputations:
  5. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0 Xavier's water boy Banned User

Reputations:
    I haven't even been able to log into my online account for two days ("technical error") :dontknow:

6. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Only channel I can get to work is Cinemagic. Why does Sirius do this? I love how every 3rd party app is 100x better than the official player, but for some reason Sirius is forcing us to use theirs, I need to get a magnifying glass just to switch channels, it's fucken garbage. For a dying company they sure are making some shitty decisions.

7. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0 Xavier's water boy Banned User

Reputations:
    I just tried calling customer support because I can't log in to web or app player. But he sad he couldn't access my account due to technical issues.

Though they apologize for the inconvenience.

8. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    Sonos is still working.

9. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    lolzzzz

10. Caster Fly

Caster Fly New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I guess they fixed it, I'm using Pulsar on H-100 right now :dontknow:

[​IMG]

11. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    Mine isn't.

12. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    just tried it again and its working fine for me. maybe they just screwed up some of the accounts.

13. John Smith

John Smith Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I was using SiriusXMstreamer with ReplayAV to record the shows and upload to my (classic) iPod. The shitty Sirius app can't do that. Fucking pricks.

14. FlatTimmy

FlatTimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sirius should focus on getting a clean signal from the sky instead of worrying about third party apps. I would never have bothered with Replay AV had I not had so many dropouts in the satellite signal. One night it was so stormy that not one of my three radios could get a clear signal. I finally did an internet search and found Replay AV. I was happy until Sirius began encrypting their streams. But this isn't the first time they've pulled the plug on the legacy streams. They did come back after a few weeks. Maybe we'll see them again.