Sirius XM .... Not Worried About Pandora

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/12/sirius-xm-holdings-inc-siri-not-worried-about-pandora/

Sirius XM Holdings Inc (NASDAQ:SIRI) CEO Jim Meyer told CNBC’s Squawk Box yesterday that he really isn’t all that concerned about Pandora Media Inc (NYSE:p) as a threat to Sirius XM, he’s a lot more concerned with free radio. “The competition for me has always been free†radio, he said. “We’re not interested in customers who don’t want to pay.â€

Pandora’s advertising-based model not a threat to Sirius XM

Meyer explained that he really doesn’t see Pandora as a long-term threat to Sirius XM. He argues that the business model of Internet streaming music service Pandora Media Inc (NYSE:p) requires advertising. “That plays to our strength,†he added, “because our music stations will remain commercial free forever.â€

Sirius XM Holdings Inc (NASDAQ:SIRI) currently has around 25.1 million subscribers, compared to 6 million Spotify customers and slightly more than 2.5 million paying subscribers for new-kid-on-the-block Pandora.
    Terrestrial radio the “gorilla in the roomâ€

Meyer emphasized that terrestrial radio is still clearly “the biggest gorilla in the room,†bringing in around $15 billion a year in revenue, compared with Sirius XM Holdings Inc (NASDAQ:SIRI)’s anticipated $4 billion in sales in 2014.

He also emphasized the growing revenue stream related to their successful relationship with the auto industry. “We’re in 70 percent of all new cars built,†Meyer said. “At the end of the third quarter, we have 57 million [vehicles] out there that have our technology incorporated. And about mid-30s of that are not active.†Meyer also pointed out that used car sales are beginning to add up to Sirius XM converts. He commented that as subscribers start to sell their cars, “We’re now getting two bites at the apple.â€

The value of Howard Stern

Not surprisingly, the subject of Howard Stern came up in Tuesday’s Squawk Box interview. Meyer had nothing but praise for the always controversial Stern. “Howard is more relevant than ever,†Meyer said, and then mentioned Stern’s second job judging on America’s Got Talent has helped to broaden his public appeal.

[​IMG]

2. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard is as relevant today as music on a SIM chip or 8-track.

3. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    What was the bigger lie - that Pandora's not a threat or that Stern is more relevant than ever?

4. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    The part about Howard being relevant.

5. luvsimpsons

luvsimpsons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Howard is more relevant than ever" :hilarious:

6. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Trashing and bashing Stern does nothing for Sirius right now.
    Stern desperately wants to re-sign with Sirius.
    Lets see how this love affair weathers the upcoming negotiation storm.
    I say Stern with shed most of his staff and take a huge pay cut to stay on Sirius.

7. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I recently cancelled my Sirius subscription for the first time. The reason I gave the rep was that I subscribed primarily for Howard and the show has just been terrible for too long with too little new content.

But another reason I could have given was the disappointment in the music channels. Streaming pandora and iTunes music has been so much more pleasurable. The music is better and I can be more specific with what I want to hear. Downloaded or streaming podcasts take care of my talk show fix.

8. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    So how long until Jim Meyer is fired?

9. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I agree with this one. Stern does not want to stop doing radio, as much as he bitches.

Think about it: The TV staff gone, so you really don't know much about how things look in studio. Who knows if Robin is there? Or Fred? Or Howard?

Howard is working to bring this thing down to a basic show. Booey may wind up being the only one consistently in studio. Howard works it so he can broadcast from the FL home or Hamptons home, whatever. Robin does her ISDN thing. . . .

More phone in interviews. Keep the NY studio for "special" occasions.

I think you're correct about Pelican wanting to re-sign with Sirius. Who else is going to have him? Terrestrial? iTunes?

It's either Sirius or retirement, IMO.

10. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    O&A would inform their listeners when they bellyache about Stern. "They fucking tell us we can't even wander down that empty corridor, fuck this company. They pay some miserable motherfucker for not even being in the city anymore. He's not even broadcasting from our building anymore and he claims to be doing engaging radio!"

11. BeerCanThick

BeerCanThick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Slacker, Pandora, Spotify, and free samples of entire songs and records, straight from the record labels.
    No torrents, no file-hosting, all free and legal. The other technically illegal way to get music now?
    Youtube rips. Probably 95 percent of all songs EVER can be found quickly and for nothing and legally to boot.

They're done with music. Anybody who pays to listen to old music right now, music not of their own choice but from a playlist, is an absolute moron.
    The only thing to pay for are sports broadcasts and live talk content because it is hard to get that legally. But now with Youtube channels and podcasts
    you can get live talk content for free and legally, too. They legally throw this content at you right now for free.
    The entire industry is like what satellite radio was supposed to be but it as all a la carte and commercial based like cable.

I really think subscription radio had its time in the sun, a brief one, but technology has obsoleted it.

12. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    as you mentioned earlier today

it could be wiggy hiding in his FL pelican palace but he would be doing a solo show via ISDN line

heavy on commercials and interviews

13. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    Pandora and Sirius target two different markets. Pandora customers care about the quality of the programming.

14. Atomic Wedgie

Atomic Wedgie Crash Victim

Reputations:
    I do like a couple of music channels, Underground Garage and Outlaw Country. I've found some pretty cool new music on there but I'm sticking with XM for O&A, none of the other channels really interest me that much. And I find myself listen to free sites like Devils Night Radio and Slacker if I want to listen to music.

15. HeyThere

HeyThere Active Member

Reputations:
    I only pay for SiriusXM for the talk shows....but with THSS sucking now, Art Bell suddenly leaving (his return was the main reason I bought a subscription again), O&A talking about moving to podcast someday, and the popularity of free podcast shows (that actually make money too), I can't see why SiriusXM wouldn't be worried...

16. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Sirius XM .... Not Worried About Pandora

They'd better be.......I started listening to Pandora a couple of weeks ago.......They have every freaking artist I can think of.....Even these guys....Haven't turned on the SXM in that time....
    [video=youtube;zVnVkeZ5Zvk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVnVkeZ5Zvk[/video]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  17. Douchebag 007

Douchebag 007 New Member

Reputations: