Entertainment SiriusXM throw Opie and Jim a bone

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, May 12, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Emmy Award-Winning Comic Writers Eric and Justin Stangel Join SiriusXM
    [​IMG]
    Executive producers and longest-tenured head writers for "Late Show with David Letterman," Eric and Justin Stangel to contribute to Opie Radio and other SiriusXM shows
    May 12, 2015: 09:00 AM ET

NEW YORK, May 12, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- SiriusXM today announced that Emmy Award-winning comedic writers Eric and Justin Stangel are joining the Opie Radio channel as creative contributors to the "Opie and Jim Norton" radio show. The Stangels will also contribute to other SiriusXM shows.

[​IMG]
    The Stangel Brothers were executive producers and the longest-running head writers of the "Late Show with David Letterman," beginning in 1997. The Stangels were made head writers of the "Late Show" in 1998, and were part of a team that won two Primetime Emmy Awards, and over the years received numerous nominations for Emmy and Writers Guild of America awards. In 2009, Justin and Eric were promoted to executive producers for the "Late Show." The Stangel brothers are the longest-serving head writers in the history of Letterman's "Late Show."

On social media, @EricStangel and @Justin_Stangel have established themselves as prodigious and influential, garnering awards and recognition as top Tweet writers by CNBC, Time, and Sports Illustrated.

"This is going to be a lot of fun. It's already a great channel, and we are excited to help bring in new comedic voices to make it, and other shows, even better," said Eric Stangel.

"Plus," added Justin Stangel, "It's radio so we don't even need to wear pants."

"SiriusXM is thrilled to welcome Eric and Justin Stangel, among the best comedic minds working today," said Scott Greenstein, President and Chief Content Officer, SiriusXM. "Bringing this level of talent to Sirius XM and Opie Radio as writers and creative contributors will provide huge value to our subscribers through the exclusive material they create. We can't wait to hear how they help Opie Radio and other SiriusXM programming continue to grow."

"Opie and Jim Norton" airs Monday through Friday, from 7:00 am ET to 11:00 am ET via satellite on Opie Radio, Sirius channel 206 and XM channel 103, and through the SiriusXM App on smartphones and other connected devices, as well as online at siriusxm.com.

2. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That show needs more than that.

zutroy, mattzane227 and Sickboy like this.
  3. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    how come howard never got writers

4. Honkey Donkey

Honkey Donkey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I heard them on the Ron and Rez show and they are good . O and J will work great with them . Maybe they are ready to give the Wig the heave ho and back O and J . New studio , new writers . . I also hear Sirius XM is real happy with the Bennington show . I know I love it .

Sickboy, PelicanWig, JameGumb and 2 others like this.
  5. Honkey Donkey

Honkey Donkey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Too cheap

scoobyla likes this.
  6. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i wonder if its sirius fault, he can do the worst show ever and still get paid the same.

Honkey Donkey likes this.
  7. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    'cause he was in charge of budgeting

8. Bri7

Bri7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The only person that they need is this guy!!!

[​IMG]

9. Thedomina

Thedomina Unfriendly

Reputations:
    Didn't Howard recently say he heard the letterman writers were having a hard time finding work?

To me, this means that Howard passed on them, most likely because he didn't want to part with the marbles

Not only are these guys really nice, but they were big Howard fans

HUGE missed opportunity

10. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    I got a gut feeling that their show will only get less edgy because of this shit.

ScottBaiosPenis likes this.
  11. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So Opie and Jimmy have at least two more professional comedy writers than Howard does. All of Howard's writers never really had a comedy writing job prior to the Stern Show other than Fred.

j shmuck likes this.
  12. PuffyArizonaCheeseFart

PuffyArizonaCheeseFart Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sirius didn't throw Opie and Jim a bone; they're trying to throw them a life preserver. That show is deader than Howard's. Opie is terribler than terrible. He might be the worst.

13. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    The new studio and this announcement makes he hope they will dish Howard and have O&J be their main morning show for that genre. They have Hits1 and soon will have Andy Cohen.
    But you can never count out Stern getting resigned.

I wonder if Howard knew this before he did Letterman last night. That was weird him mentioning talking to Dave's staff and asking them what are you going to do. I just thought he wanted to show that he was more caring than Dave.
    Stern did get new paid staff, all those impersonators but they were just young kids.

I think it will be good for O&J show. They are not trying to do Stern's show and they are also trying to elevate over a regular podcast. The show is funny and quick moving. If they get that calibur of writers and Stern gets no named writers, that's a face. I wonder if that is why Stern liquidated 101, make he wants to hire a big name comedian, like one of the guys from The League or from Adult Swim. Stern did answer one of his questions for James Taylor today with a long answer about being collaborative. Maybe he's hoping a big name comedian will be collaborative with him but let him take all the credit and not outshine him like Artie

I was thinking Bennington was going to leave to join Artie or Ant.

PelicanWig likes this.
  14. RonHeinzkaboot

Reputations:
    Edgy is the currency of someone with nothing in the bank

Cinnaminion and JameGumb like this.
  15. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    but letterman's show was horribly unfunny. how do these people keep getting jobs

I invented that and ARM like this.
  16. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    Ugh...no truer words have been spoken.

17. RonHeinzkaboot

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Tsss double the peckas double da fun, dere twins

PelicanWig likes this.
  18. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    clearly the perfect choice to replace ant :jj: poor lil jimmy they are DOOMED

ill give you this, i am sort of excited to see which show is worse...wiggy or o&j

ARM likes this.
  19. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't see how these guys will help. Write funny shit for opie to say? Write bits?

They'd be better finding a permanent replacement for Ant. I can't listen to the show anymore due to opie trying too hard.

GQtaste, I invented that and ARM like this.
  20. Bri7

Bri7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am still not over the fact that I heard Opie cry.