Siskel and Ebert, did it get much better?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Ganggreen87, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    L istening to a replay of the 88 show today of Siskel and Ebert and man at the apex of their power in all seriousness their show was arguably the best on TV.
    They fought each other, they practically revolutionized the catch phrase thumbs up, the show was real, it got intense, they were honest the subject (the movies) was always relevant and entertaining.

I mean in its heyday it was must watch entire family television in my house.

They just don't have shows like this anymore now everyone is afraid to say anything negative it is unreal. Man I miss those guys, plus they were great great guests on Howard.

2. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    Ebert's memoir is one of the best autobiography I've read

4. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I loved their PBS show SNEAK PREVIEWS. It was cheap and amateurish, but also raw and compelling. Once they got big and went the syndication route with AT THE MOVIES I thought they lost something. Still better than any of their imitators. Remember that awful one with Rex Reed?

5. HooHoo

HooHoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The show was one thing and you could tell Ebert was smart, but what hit me way too late in life was what a devastatingly brilliant writer the guy was. Even though he was writing about movies, and sometimes really dumb ones, his perceptions and some of the thoughts he formed were just mind blowing. Like he could write a review about a movie as simple as a girl looking for her dog, and he could describe it with pure poetry.

6. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    I watched early-mid 90s.. Miss those guys :nojj:

7. ChristinesEmotionalFriend

ChristinesEmotionalFriend Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Who did you guys find yourself agreeing with more often?

On movies where their opinions differed I'd find myself agreeing with Siskel 9 times out of 10. Ebert's opinions were well thought out I just think the guy had shit taste maybe 50% of the time. He thought Home Alone 3 was better than the original, and he liked Speed 2.

8. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    They have tons of stuff on YouTube, the "Worst Of" shows are often amusing

Collection of more "Worst" shows at the YouTube button

AmishGirl and wigtropolis like this.
  9. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    Welcome.

Who were you over there?

Mr Fantastic likes this.
  10. CrazyPatSherill

CrazyPatSherill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I remember that Stern Show from 1988. In fact, when the Museum of Broadcasting asked the show for a tape for their collection, circa 1989, that is what they sent.

11. ChristinesEmotionalFriend

ChristinesEmotionalFriend Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm assuming you mean SFN? I never posted there, just lurked. I decided to register here when it got shut down.

12. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    siskel and E-brick

Haze Dean likes this.
  13. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It really depended on the movie
    What is important to remember too, is that this was really the ONLY way to get a review on a movie. So these guys had some serious power nationally. Sure there was some stoner college kid writing for Hartford Coursnt but these guys had cache
    They could of easily sold out to the studios in those days for payola but they never did. Now these review shows are just prepaid promotional ads for the movie, they won't say a bad thing about any movie.

This guys at one time literally, in my opinion, controlled the fate of virtually every studios profitability in America. Two thumbs up could make or break a movie. It got so bad other reviewers started using the "thumbs up" phrase and it lost its relabiltiy authenticity

Great show great guys, true industry icons

14. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
    His review of Freddy Got Fingered is one of the funniest and most well-written reviews I've ever read!

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/freddy-got-fingered-2001

[​IMG]

15. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    the balcony is CLOSED!!

16. Hand Banana

Hand Banana Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They were good movie reviewers but as film critics I thought they left a lot to be desired. They were passionate, and gave publicity to a lot of worthy filmmakers, but they were also clearly enamored with the bright lights, big city atmosphere of Hollywood.

Especially with Ebert, who would often ignore his own mantra ("It's not what a movie's about but how it's about") and too many of their reviews would focus on the good/bad feels that the movie gave them. Best would be when he'd rip into a movie for not being historically accurate and then dismiss similar anachronisms with those he championed with a casual "Hey, it's just a movie" shrug.

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  17. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels.

18. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I loved that show! I followed it until the bitter end, when Michael Phillips and A.O. Scott were hosting.

Until very recently, you could watch virtually all of their old reviews on the the At the Movies website. Don't think you can anymore.

It was sad watching some of Siskel's later episodes. His speech and mannerisms had become very slow and deliberate. It was also a bit of a revelation to me as a film buff to learn that - back in the day, I almost consistently sided with Siskel, decades later, I found myself much more in tune with Ebert.

Shortly before his death, Ebert resurrected the show on PBS with Christy Lemire. That was humorous to me, as she's one of the absolute worst film critic out there. Our local paper always ran her reviews because she's bottom of the barrel cheap.

smichal and stash like this.
  19. skunk anansie

skunk anansie Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  20. ElegantElliotRight!

ElegantElliotRight! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree and remember Sneak Previews vividly on PBS in the 1980s. Along with This Old House, Julia Child and Bob Ross painting show. I love PBS. Which reminds me, where is the guy that did the Stern show that was on At The Movies? Huge fan.