Sitting on a plane, earbuds in, retarded smile on my face and the occasional LOL because...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Mr Pink, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was listening to 7 days worth of old shows, from 2-26-01 thru 3-5-01, that were so good I just sat on the plane with a silly grin and the occasional out-loud laugh. I couldn't help it because the shit was so damn good. I still listen to this day but barely crack a smile any more during the current shows.

It really is hilarious yet depressing listening to these old shows because it highlights how good it used to be.

For those of you who say 'I can't believe I liked this guy', don't worry, you weren't wrong to do so.

In just a few days worth of shows you get several classic bits which have been immortalized on you tube.

All the while, you get Jackie's guffaws (real and impressions), John interjecting and maniacly laughing in the background, KC's (unintentionally) hilarious participation and Howard on top of his game.

Keep in mind, this rundown is less than a week-and-a-half worth of show – it would take 2 – 3 months to log this amount of time now (and of course you wouldn't get this quality of content no matter how long you listen to the current show).

If anyone wants a good era to revisit, this is them at the top of their game.

Just a FEW highlights.
    • Good Uzo stories
    • Busting on Ronnie over NASCAR toys, Ernie Erving credit card and the race car tire in den reveal (classic bit)
    • Pig Virus coat drive debacle ala WKRP turkey promo
    • KC's (crazy) self-tanner skin reaction (fucking gold classic bit)
    • Funny Cabbie stuff
    • Jackie's wacky parties (always good)
    • Sal is still just a caller busting balls (well)
    • KC busted for talking to himself and hearing voices about kicking babies and pushing elderly (classic bit)
    • Stuttering John busting on Gary about eating shrimp, sucking straws and smoking cigs with his big lips (classic bit)
    • KC producing a good caller game
    • Jessica Hahn calling in and sounding like a crazy dumbfuck
    • Fred loses 20,000 in Win Fred's Money
    • Howard goes on and on about how hot the 16 year old Olsen twins are o_O
    • Gary can't take any more of John's ball busting
    • Robin threw a birthday lunch for the gang (always good) and Sal found the location and made prank calls to the restaurant
    • Howard plays scathing voice mails - to hilarious effect (he's too cowardly for negative feedback anymore)
    • Howard's kids think he's gay – they told him so
    • Ronnie overreactts to snow forecast and picks up Howard in a truck with endless ball busting to follow (classic bit)
    • Busting on Gary for stocking up on grocery supplies for a day or two of snow
    • JACKIE LEAVES SHOW :eek:
    That's as far as I've listened so far but I see that Gary getting wax dripped on his nipples and getting spanked is coming up.

So sad what the show has become...

http://www.marksfriggin.com/news01/2-26-01.htm
    http://www.marksfriggin.com/news01/3-5-01.htm

2. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    Do you think if Howard retired 10 years ago from radio but still did some TV and stuff like AGT or an interview show we would hate him so much?

Or if he was a little more honest like said "I don't have to work anymore so I'm going to just do a little radio here part time and I have a wig now and I'm going to get some cosmetic surgery because fuck you I want it".

I think it's okay to evolve or get lazy later in life, he definitely earned it. I think most of the resentment from his fans comes from the fact that he's just not honest about it.

3. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    Slightly off topic but the reason I say it is that I think a lot of people hate the new Howard so much his legacy will be tainted and the stuff you brought up won't matter in the end.

4. Patron

Patron Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Where the fuck were you flying...the moon?

5. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    I gotta respect those who got out while at the top of their game, even though you hate to see them leave - from sitcoms to sports stars.

Howard did not do this.

John Mahlin likes this.
  6. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    3/2001 was like the Stern Show's Let It Be album era. The swan song.

HorsetoothBeth likes this.
  7. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    :snicker:
    It took a few days to listen but I became conscious of sitting there grinning since I was in public. Crazy how the old show could do that.

8. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    Never really knew that, but I believe it.

9. Queefinout

Queefinout Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like to listen to old shows as long as he is not the focus of the conversation. Art, KC, Jackie, Stuttering, anyone! As long as he is not the main focus.

Beffquus likes this.
  10. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i always think i like artie better but when i listen to the older stuff and i hear jacky laughing and howard on fire i quickly realize jackie was better for the show

11. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Fools. Billy West era is unmatched. KC? Seriously?

12. Big Lar

Big Lar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's what's great...both eras were amazing.

Beffquus and Peau de Soie like this.
  13. Big Lar

Big Lar Well-Known Member

Reputations:

If you are not allowed to address this, I understand- but where would one find a place to listen to this? I drive all the time and would love to hear.

HorseFanNetwork likes this.
  14. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just heard a bit in one of the Daniel Carver compilations when he called a AT&T relay operator. It was so incredibly offensive and over the top, which of course made it hilarious. Compared to the current Shitshow and the level of Howards PC faggotry (Selma is too painful to watch), I can't believe they ever played something like that on regular radio.

15. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can someone provide a clip of this? I think it deserves it's own thread.

16. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    I'd like to PM you, but I can't.

Big Lar likes this.
  17. Beffquus

Beffquus Scripta sunt in stellis Gold

Reputations:
    This, for me, gets to the key point of what was compared to what we have now. All of the other voices coming into the studio and genuinely mixing it up was the entertainment. Now, it's all about Howie (and by extension, Beff) and Blobbin with the occasional contrived Benjy bit. Throw in the same ass-kissing callers, a drawn-out interview and "news" read by someone laying eyes on it for the first time and not realizing half the time she's reading an old story - bam! That's a show.

He's actually done us a favor going to 3 days a week. Maybe he'll eventually do us the ultimate favor and disappear.

Divorce Chicken likes this.
  18. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    AGT is still a fully hateable offense.

19. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    http://www.marksfriggin.com/news01/2-26-01.htm
    Scroll down to 3/1/2001 6:05 am. It's the last part of that section.
    "Howard played some voice mail that people have left lately. One of the people said that Howard must be gay. Howard said that his kids must think that too because his youngest one comes up to him and tells him that Emily and Debra tell her that he's gay. Howard just goes along with it."

I wish I knew where to stream these old shows so I could post them, but I only have access to them on my computer since...I taped them when they originally aired...yeah, that's the ticket.

See below.

:golfclap:

Well, if you happened to be a STERN fan and you were also a GEEK, you might Google certain words and find on the first page something related to You Tube.

Big Lar likes this.
  20. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    I don't get how people use ear buds without them falling out of your ears. I prefer headphones with a band across the top.