Skinny Puppy demand payment from US government

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by greyt, Feb 8, 2014.

1. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have a feeling they're not going to see a cent

[h=1]Industrial band Skinny Puppy demand $666,000 after music is used in Guantánamo torture[/h]Band file claim for $666,000 and express outrage at their music being used 'as an actual weapon against somebody' in the US detention centre

[​IMG] Nivek Ogre of Skinny Puppy, who are outraged at their music being used during Guantánamo torture. Photograph: Marc Broussely/Redferns

A Canadian electro-industrial band is asking for thousands of dollars in royalties after learning that the US military used their music to torture prisoners at Guantánamo Bay. Skinny Puppy claim they filed a $666,000 (£368,000) bill with America'd defence department.
    "We sent them an invoice for our musical services considering they had gone ahead and used our music without our knowledge and used it as an actual weapon against somebody," keyboardist Cevin Key recently told CTV News. "I am not only against the fact they're using our music to inflict damage on somebody else but they are doing it without anybody's permission."
    Skinny Puppy first learned about the alleged use of their music from a former Guantánamo Bay guard, who was "affected or offended" by the detention camp's practices. Although the Vancouver-born band originally planned to use their new album cover as an invoice to the Pentagon, they have now received "coaching" and apparently sent an actual physical document to government officials. They are even considering a lawsuit.
    "We're not making a point looking for financial gain," Key underlined. But nor is the group entirely surprised that their songs were used as sonic punishment for Gitmo's detainees: "We thought this would end up happening, in a weird way," he admitted in an interview with the Phoenix New Times. "Because we make unsettling music, we can see it being used in a weird way. But it doesn't sit right with us."
    Skinny Puppy aren't the only group whose music has reportedly been used to torture terrorist suspects and "enemy combatants" at the United States' base in Cuba. According to earlier reports, interrogators have employed songs by Metallica, Rage Against The Machine, Queen, Eminem, and even David Gray. "It's an issue that no one wants to deal with," Gray said in 2008. "It's shocking that there isn't more of an outcry."
    Weapon, Skinny Puppy's 12th studio album, is out now.

2. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    I hope they collect.

3. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    i'm conficted

4. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    :lo5: Me too...

5. skater76

skater76 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Skinny Puppy Fucking rocks.

6. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    why not 666,666? or 666,969? those are better.

7. Chimney Portions

Reputations:

They're no Sick Fucking Puppy! Double guns, cock suckah!

8. skater76

skater76 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Whatevs Chp

9. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I used to get high and torture myself by listening to Too Dark Park in the 90s but I haven't listened to them in decades.

[video=youtube;giKdgMnyobI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giKdgMnyobI[/video]

10. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    I'm fuckin' zooted.

11. Greekfreak

Greekfreak New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I was a big Einsturzende Neubauten and SP fan back in the day but I hated those jerk off goths who felt you had to also dress up like the fat gay guy's son from "The Sopranos" if you listened to it.

They were all probably NIN poseurs anyway.

12. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
  13. HooHoo

HooHoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This story is surreal. I'm actually friend-acquaintances with these guys (Kevin the lead, and "the other kevin" c3vin key the keyboardist) through a mutual friend that was roommates with one of them years ago and we spent a lot of weekends over one particular summer hanging out and fucking around on modular synths.

All I can say is they are the most down to earth, calm, genuine, zero attitude people I've known when factoring the line of work they're in and their crazy approach to music. Its not surprising they're pissed about their shit being used for torture and were I to not really know them I'd probably assume this was just a publicity stunt. I can guarantee they don't care about the money. Unfortunately, dollar figure lawsuits are often the only bargaining tool to get a thing to be taken notice of, especially when it comes to the government.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  14. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [video=youtube_share;xq0SFsQPlQY]http://youtu.be/xq0SFsQPlQY[/video]

15. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    Now that's inhumane.

16. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Howard invented torture.

17. TeeDonkey

TeeDonkey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I give ya that one!

Still have a 12" red vinyl of Testure. Yeah I freaking loved them back in the late 80's early 90's..