Smokey Debacle = Prelude of Young to come?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by nearly.normal, Oct 5, 2014.

1. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Disclaimer: I did not listen to Lena Dunham, Melissa Rthridge, John Mellancamp nor Jennifer Hudson.... BUT

I did listen to Howard's Smokey Robinson interview and as already mentioned, it might be one of the worst musician's interviews he has EVER done.

Trying WAY too hard.
    Relying on ridiculous internet rumors hoping to get that one question answered that the social media picks up on.
    Floundering and asking the same questions he always asks.
    Sounding lost and uncomfortable and scrambling to impress.

The bigger the star or legend, the harder Howard tries and the worse he does.

I do not hold out much hope for the Neil Young interview....

:(

2. Crazy Marcus

Crazy Marcus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i liked the interview, smokey came off well and howard did fine. smokey has a great memory and had a lot of good stories.

when howard would ask one of his questions that were not true smokey would correct him and give him the real story. most of those stories were actually pretty interesting and howard didn't cut him off a lot like he has done with other guests.

potroast likes this.
  3. Mack29

Mack29 Well-Known Member

Reputations:

For someone who claims to be such a great interviewer, he should not have any incorrect facts. His material should be researched and accurate.

It's not too often that someone like Dianne Sawyer, Bob Costas or Barbara Walters are corrected by the person being interviewed.
    It's just unprofessional to not have your facts straight.

4. Crazy Marcus

Reputations:
    it's possible that is just an interview tactic that howard uses to get the real story out of people. also smokey seemed pissed that his ex-wife owned 50% of his songs so he might not have been truthful about a lot of the stuff he said. either way his stories were interesting. smokey is a far better interview than john mellencamp who i found really boring.

Senator Rick likes this.
  5. nearly.normal

Reputations:
    I found it uncomfortable and embarrassing for him.
    And I think I give him more leeway than most.

To have one maybe two "facts" incorrect is one thing. But he was batting like .150.

In order to save a little face he actually had to admit that he was using facts that his friggin personal trainer gave him.

BenBas likes this.
  6. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Every once in a while he might throw in a zinger question, kind of fishing for some truth to a rumor or something. This isn't what was happening with Smokey. Those were meant to be serious interview questions that got completely bungled. Made him sound like an amateur douche. For ass-kissing, typically out-of-it Robin to call him out, it had to be glaringly bad.

As to the other interviews listed above: Some of the worst in the last few years. I still listen and have a high pain threshold but these last few shows have been horrible.

When you only come in 2-3 days per week, you can't do two interviews a day. There's not enough room for the truly funny stuff like Sal and Richard doing gay shit, Gary/Scott/Ronnie reaming, good bits from the staff, liberal throwing-under-the-bus, etc. Oh, I forgot, they don't do any of those things anymore...

7. Crazy Marcus

Reputations:
    i agree and another big issue is that he refuses to cut any interview short. very few people should be interviewed for an hour straight and if it isn't working he should end it and talk about something else.

8. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    True. I started a thread about that a while ago. Back in the day, his instinct would tell him when to bail out or if he should extend the interview. Now we're getting over an hour with that dude from Saved By The Bell, an American idol singer who only gays care about and the lesbo ginger singer who hasn't been around in 20 years and no one cares about????? WTF?

9. nearly.normal

Reputations:
    Same here and I couldn't even bring myself to tune in to more than 10 minutes of any of them I listed.

Packing this many celebrity interviews together also exposes his weakness as an interviewer. Asking same questions, repeating himself, trying to play shrink etc.

Give me a Tan Mom interview over 90% of his celebrity interviews any day.

10. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Tomorrow e-mailers and callers will tell Howard this was the greatest interview EVER!

BTW this is the 147th greatest interview EVER....in a row.
    Howard always hits it out of the park....right Robin.

11. nearly.normal

Reputations:
    Robin?

12. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    I listen to lots of old shows.
    celeb interviews were interesting....and 20 minutes long.
    NOW everyone guest at least an hour. Repeat guests get the SAME fucking questions over and over and over.

13. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Didn't listen. I have too much respect for Smokey to listen to Howard fuck up an interview with this particular music giant.
    I'll be curious as to whether or not Neil has to bitch slap the wig off that sissy's head.

14. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    He's kind of a cranky ol' genius so he just might. I think Wig will treat him with kid gloves though. He stays on target when intimidated by a giant guest.

Senator Rick likes this.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Howard couldn't understand why Smokey gave songs to others and why guys in the band were equally financially compensated.

In unrelated news Howard ripped off others radio bits, takes create for all amazing things written or pitched by his staff, (in the FM days when the show was funny) and pockets ALL the money.

Smokey is worth 275 million.....Howard was angry he wasn't worth a billion like the evil white Beatles.....:jj:

2 2 Toothie, TheWonk and Senator Rick like this.
  16. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:

wait a minute here --- you mean YOKO is worth a billion, the evil yellow bastard ...Beatles didn't get shit after her cut

17. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    "Gar, when Howard told Neil that the song "Old Man" is about Neil's subconscious hatred of his father I felt he really hit on something there."

"Yeah No, Neil kind of argued that point a bit... said it was about something else. I was surprised Neil didn't realize Howard had it right and that Neil didn't know what his own song is about but it is what it is."

TheWonk likes this.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Weavy couch it like the evil white guys got more money.
    Poor Smokey only has 275 million.

19. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Will Howard ask Neil about all his hypocrisy, re-writes, and horse shit causes?

SlinkyNeckStern likes this.
  20. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    You crazy? That's valuable cock talk time.

AllAboutHim Ed likes this.