Smoothie Recipes and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Bye You!, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    I got a smoothie maker for christmas, and would love low-fat and no fat smoothie recipes. If you have any, post them here!

also, any additions to smoothies to make them even more healthy, and what effects they are supposed to have, would be greatly appreciated. I see flaxseed oil mentioned, for example, but don't know what it is supposed to do.

I don't want banana smoothies, and would love high fiber suggestions!

thanks, everyone :D

2. Partyxanimal

Partyxanimal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've never had a smoothie :dontknow:

3. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
  4. Engaged Chicken

Engaged Chicken VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    :lol:

Bye You, I make them all time time, but I don't deviate all that much. If usually use whatever kind of fruit (lots of berries), and silken tofu (even if you don't like tofu, try it anyay, but only use the silken tofu. It gives it a nice creaminess and has a lot of protein.) I use flax seed sometimes, but be careful, if you add too much it makes it too grainy. :hippie:

5. Bye You!

Reputations:
    thanks, i'll look for that tofu. :hat:

6. Wing

Wing WonderSlave VIP

Reputations:
    Flax oil has omegas, like fish oils. They are reported to reduce inflammation and help prevent heart disease and arthritis.
    Ground flax has a group of chemicals called "lignans" which may play a role in cancer prevention.

I love:
    blueberries
    yogurt
    rice/coconut/almond milk
    peanut butter/walnuts/almonds
    spirulina powder
    a splash of whatever juice I have
    raw honey
    avocado
    banana

I like banana for the potassium. Great for hangovers, but would be just fine without.
    Avocados add a wonderful creaminess and are rich in vitamins A, B and E. They contain fiber, phosphorus, calcium, carotene, iron, thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin.
    They lower cholesterol and will not make you gain any weight.
    And avocado makes my joints and muscles feel better.
    Spirulina supports the immune system. A number of animal and test tube studies suggest that spirulina increases production of antibodies, infection-fighting proteins, and other cells that improve immunity and help ward off infection and chronic illnesses such as cancer. Read more: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/spirulina-000327.htm#ixzz1hy5kV3bd

I'm going to make one right now!

7. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Sounds like Wing has it covered well enough for now

Once you've worked your way through the previous posts and are looking for more let me know

I could probably add 100 items or more to the list and mega recipes

8. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    I highly recommend these. All low fat, low complex carbs and/or high in fiber + a Special GSD Holiday Diet included. All yours for the low low price of FREE

Raw Organic Cacao (not cocoa) - Go easy on it though. You can stop drinking coffee if you use this
    Protein powder - various types but undenatured whey protein is best IMO
    Raw Coconut
    Goats Milk Kefir - (See post in Diet & Nutrition thread)
    Maca Root - careful on this one too
    Sprouted seeds & nuts (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, flax, chia, walnut, almond, pecan)
    Sprouted grains (buckwheat, alfalfa, brown rice etc...) - not perfectly low carb but low enough in small amounts
    Sprouted vegetables (Many types)

* You can order most of this stuff above through Amazon

You will not likely find a greater variety of vitamins and minerals per serving than in sprouted seeds

Last I remember sprouted sunflower seeds have 19 V&M per serving in 1/3 cup I think there are 4 with 10% or > of the RDA for those nutrients in only 1/3 of a cup

GSD Diet Tip: If you want to obtain and maintain a good metabolism and weight or even lose weight then do the following along with some exercise: Increase fiber, protein & healthy fat sources (a whole other topic but there are many healthy saturated fats) and decrease carbs of all kinds. Best to take in mostly complex carbs in whole grains especially sprouted grains. Limit fruits to very small amounts. Limit carb intake after 5pm. Best to have herbs, lean protein, healthy fats and vegetables for dinner. And by vegetables I mean none with starches or carbs like corn, potatoes. Do eat all greens, cauliflower, tomato (although technically a fruit), avocado (also a fruit), onion etc.. Basically as Wing pointed out eat the color of the rainbow.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  9. Bye You!

Reputations:

THANK YOU!!! :hw:

and thanks to wing! i didnt get notified she posted! thanks!!!

10. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Best friend for many of these things is a coffee grinder

I grind all seeds, nuts, sprouts and cacao into powder before putting into a smoothie

Whole Foods will be your best bet for many items

Good luck let us know what you find and make

11. Bye You!

Reputations:
    and i actually have a coffee grinder! terrific advice!

12. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    For everyone:

Breakfast Smoothie
    Complex flavor combo
    If you don't like that much of a complex flavor/taste combo split it into 2 or more smaller ones. I often do this.
    Good combos see comments next to items below to determine what to combine: Sweet/Fat/Protein or Sour/Bitter or Nutty/Sour or Sweet/Sour/Nutty

1.) 8oz coconut water (slightly sweet)
    2.) 4 oz Goat's Milk Kefir (sour)
    3.) 2 cups steamed dark green vegetables (Lacinato Kale is very nice as it has a slight bitter flavor)
    4.) 1/4 cup (pre-ground volume) Sprouted Seeds (Fav: Flax, White Chia aka Salba) Nutty Flavor
    5.) 1/4 cup (pre-ground volume) Sprouted Nuts (Fav: Walnut, Pecan) Nutty Flavor
    6.) 1 Tbsp Raw Coconut (Saturated Fats are Medium Chain & taste is slightly sweet flavor)
    7.) 500 Grams Undenatured Whey Protein (Neutral Flavor)
    8.) 1 Cup (cooked) Sprouted Brown Organic Rice (Slightly Sweet) or Organic Quinoa (Nutty Flavor)
    **(For added sweetness add in 1Tbsp Raw Honey or 1/2 cup Fruit)

Scale the amount of the ingredients proportionally to the portion you desire or require

Should have a thick consistency like a thick milk shake

Full Combo Includes
    High in Healthy Saturated & Unsaturated Fats (Although Omega 6: Omega 3 Ratios will vary depending on what you use) Ideal is 4:1
    High in Protein
    High Pro-biotics
    High in vitamins, minerals & trace elements, especially K, C, A, B complex (only w/ sprouted seeds or grains), Zinc, Iron
    High Fiber
    Moderate to Low Carb - Moderate Carb (w/ Fruit & grain) & Low Carb (w/o fruit but w/ grain)

If you want added flavor from the nuts roast them prior to grinding and eating

*Roughly Estimated Calories: 800-1000 calories
    *Roughly Estimated Fats: 50%-60% or so from healthy fats
    *Anyone concerned about amount of fats or calories I would say cut out Nuts (see last *) this will reduce total fats by 10-15% & calories by 150-200
    *Remember some fats are not unhealthy even in larger amounts
    *It is the type of fat and way it is used that is critical. Heating all fats, except Coconut Oil, is unhealthy. Fats should be eaten raw, and taken from cold-pressed (so as not to heat them) sources whenever possible.
    *Keep seeds and coconut. Although if you are trying to maximize Omega 6 to Omega 3 Fat Ratio's instead of worrying about vitamin and mineral content then keep Nuts, especially Walnuts, and remove seeds

Don't want to gulp down smoothies
    Take small amounts in your mouth each time
    Chew it thoroughly (20-30 chews) so that it is in your mouth long enough to enhance and ensure proper digestion
    This will be covered in more detail in How the Body Works Thread

Lacinato Kale - aka Dinosaur (Dino) Kale (Great name if you're trying to market it to your kids to eat :D)
    [​IMG]

If you have a specific goal in mind such as losing fat, increase metabolism, add muscle post it and I will comment

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  13. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    This stuff is excellent to grind for smoothies. Actually most of this companies stuff is at least very good or better

[​IMG]

14. Bye You!

Reputations:
    thanks for the recipes!

my goal is to loose some weight/keep it off and to feel good.

15. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Are you willing to let me analyze your diet and exercise and make suggestions?

16. Bye You!

Reputations:
    Sure! Going shopping now for some smoothie stuff.

17. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Coconut, Pomegranite, Banana

18. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Tahini, Bluberry

19. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Lemon, Carrot, Salba Seed (aka white Chia) let 'em soak before blending

[​IMG]

20. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Blackberry & Flax Seed (soak them or grind them & soak them first)

For all fruit + grain/seed smoothies these are often (but don't have to be) the main flavor ingredients and are not the full contents of the smoothie

Add in other things to make in thicker or thinner to your liking such as milk, yogurt, kefir, coconut water, rice bran, oat bran & many more

Mix and match things to your preference for taste and consistency

[​IMG]