SNL... just pull the plug, it's dead.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Greekfreak, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Greekfreak

Greekfreak New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Watched about four random episodes in the last few months with my wife, and I can't believe this wretched turd of a show still has any viewers.

The writing is so horrendous, and the cast is brutally unfunny. Melissa McCarthy is actually a talented comic actress, but even she couldn't work magic.

2. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    Lorne Michaels controls it. He's also about to control the Tonight Show and the show airing after the Tonight Show. How SNL and the other shows he runs make it to air is a mystery.

3. Greekfreak

Reputations:
    Lorne is equally unfunny--he had the chance to hire John Candy for SNL and told him "Don't quit your day job". Plus he was the brains behind hiring Ellen Cleghorne.

4. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    its a turd wrapped in a shit sandwich

5. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;rvuqQBp-_TU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvuqQBp-_TU&list=PLEMcZCvqQkaoMFuPhZaaLmCLDo86s_EDj[/video]
    [video=youtube;MiukP1bX160]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiukP1bX160&list=PLEMcZCvqQkaoMFuPhZaaLmCL Do86s_EDj[/video]

6. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  7. Chatsworth

Chatsworth Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Wit is dead. Social and political satire was the core of the show. With the left controlling nearly every institution and all of government (Sen Al Franken ffs!)- they've run out of material. They could always attack political correctness- but that would mean offending somebody. And where's the humor in that?

8. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As bad as it has become, it actually gets better ratings than most of NBC's prime time scripted series. Not saying much, but it is the fact. It ain't going anywhere soon.

9. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Hiring for the sake of "diversity" is sure to help them turn the corner.

10. Greekfreak

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;GbVmh5Purxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbVmh5Purxk[/video]

It doesn't have to be topical or political to be funny. That's the genius of sketch comedy. Somewhere down the line Lorne forgot to hire talented people.

11. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    It has no competition on that time slot. The show probably turns a profit. I was bummed when Mad TV got cancelled. I think that show had the potential to either wake up SNL to step up their game or get Lorne Michael fired.

12. Stevedolphin

Stevedolphin Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I sat through the show with Jonah Hill a few weeks ago at a friend's house.I was amazed at just how bad it was.Not one laugh in the whole show.

13. Chatsworth

Reputations:
    That's true. But you have to be willing to offend the people in power. The Establishment. That would be the "gorgeous mosaic."

14. HeyThere

HeyThere Active Member

Reputations:
    SNL sucks now, but....
    I gotta say, I love Portlandia. It seems like he gives pretty much all of the creative control to Armisen and Brownstein though, I didn't even know Lorne Michaels produced the show until a few months ago when I caught his name in the credits.
    I was surprised/confused/bummed out that Stern didn't bring Portlandia up when Fred was on the show. Almost everyone I know loves that show, and I honestly I don't know anyone who regularly watches SNL anymore.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  15. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    Enwurds can't write comedy.

16. Chatsworth

Reputations:
    How many book stores remain where you live? One of my local Barnes and Nobles closed down and was replaced by an L.A. Fitness. "The Idiocracy" arrived a few centuries early. How do you write comedy for a nation raised on reality television?

17. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    From the descriptions to Howard by SNL alum about the audition process, I have to assume Lorne Michaels is a huge arrogant dickhead. People like that are rarely funny, as they take themselves too seriously. Odds are the early success was before he gained enough power and reputation to be able to pull off the dickhead act and get away with it.

18. OCDlikeaMF

OCDlikeaMF Active Member

Reputations:
    They have plenty of material, the writing sucks and maybe the cast. I remember the last episode I thought was funny, the first time Bradley Cooper hosted. Its around the time they decided to push Kristin Wiig and Bill Hader to the front of the cast. Remember the petition to get Betty White to host? Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph returned. Whatever the formula was for that one show was missing the previous and following week. Seth Meyer took over head writer after Tina Fey left, so maybe it was him. How is he gonna host a late night talk show if he sucks

19. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Ok, his writing partner was white.

20. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:

That's because most affiliates of other networks can make more money putting shit infomercials and reruns opposite it and keep all the money from the commercials themselves. It is the same reason Fox will never have Primetime shows on a regular basis on at 10PM. The affiliates make more money and will not give up the time slot. SNL just came out so long ago, NBC affiliates can't get that time slot back.