So...it turns out, it's not your fault that you're all racists

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Stew Nod, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    I've been fascinated with the absolute differing opinions on these cop vs thug cases.....based on one's race, age, social position, you can almost predict their opinion with 100% accuracy...Interesting. Excluding extreme white liberals....it's pretty much fool proof

I can also predict that the study will be torn apart and attacked by right leaning posters....Simply because it was brought forth by Moyers and Mother Jones

No judgement here :)

http://billmoyers.com/2014/12/02/science-cops-shoot-young-black-men/

HEALTH & SCIENCE
    How Our Brains Perceive Race
    December 2, 2014
    by Chris Mooney

This post first appeared at Mother Jones.

Joe Mabel Joe Mabel soft-spoken cognitive neuroscientist’s spotless office nestled within New York University’s psychology department, but it feels like I’m at the doctor’s, getting a dreaded diagnosis. On his giant monitor, Amodio shows me a big blob of data, a cluster of points depicting where people score on the Implicit Association Test. The test measures racial prejudices that we cannot consciously control. I’ve taken it three times now. This time around my uncontrolled prejudice, while clearly present, has come in significantly below the average for white people like me.

smichal likes this.
  2. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    We’re not born with racial prejudices. We may never even have been “taught” them. Rather, explains Nosek, prejudice draws on “many of the same tools that help our minds figure out what’s good and what’s bad.” In evolutionary terms, it’s efficient to quickly classify a grizzly bear as “dangerous.” The trouble comes when the brain uses similar processes to form negative views about groups of people.

But here’s the good news: Research suggests that once we understand the psychological pathways that lead to prejudice, we just might be able to train our brains to go in the opposite direction.

Dog, cat. Hot, cold. Black, white. Male, female. We constantly categorize. We have to. Sorting anything from furniture to animals to concepts into different filing folders inside our brains is something that happens automatically, and it helps us function. In fact, categorization has an evolutionary purpose: Assuming that all mushrooms are poisonous, that all lions want to eat you, is a very effective way of coping with your surroundings. Forget being nuanced about nonpoisonous mushrooms and occasionally nonhungry lions — certitude keeps you safe.

3. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
  4. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    The process of categorizing the world obviously includes identifying the group or groups to which you belong. And that’s where the next psychological factor underpinning prejudice emerges. Much research has found that humans are tribal creatures, showing strong bias against those we perceive as different from us and favoritism toward those we perceive as similar.

In fact, we humans will divide ourselves into in-groups and out-groups even when the perceived differences between the specific groups are completely arbitrary. In one classic study, subjects are asked to rate how much they like a large series of paintings, some of which are described as belonging to the “Red” artistic school and others to the “Green” school. Then participants are sorted into two groups, red or green — not based on their favoring one school of painting, as they are made to think, but actually at random. In subsequent tasks, people consistently show favoritism toward the arbitrary color group to which they are assigned. When asked to allocate money to other participants, the majority of “reds” more generously fund other reds — despite the fact that they have never actually met them. The same goes for “greens.”

The upshot of such “minimal group” experiments is that if you give people the slightest push toward behaving tribally, they happily comply. So if race is the basis on which tribes are identified, expect serious problems.

5. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    Oh and Stern forum related, well, because I've never seen so many proud racists on a message board... :rofl:

blindbella, cg256, Droog and 4 others like this.
  6. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    we see differences in each other
    we align ourselves with people similar to us

we're a territorial, predatory , pack animal--it's probably very much haredwired into us

you ever see a fight over some silly sporting rivalry ? guys will jump in to fight alongside dudes they don't know-they simply both have on the same jersey(so they must be the same people)

not sure it's all that easy to overcome the shit that's hardwired

that's right

I had a few beers already

7. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold POTY Politics

Reputations:
    Do people just make up stereotypes or are they based on observed actions:dontknow:

Mantis, DuckDong and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  8. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

Correct

9. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

That question continually popped into my head, while reading the article :grad:

I would think it's based on observations

10. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    By Patrick J. Buchanan

Barack says we need to have a conversation about race in America . Fair enough. But this time, it has to be a two-way conversation. White America needs to be heard from, not just lectured to. This time, the Silent Majority needs to have its convictions, grievances, and demands heard. And among them are these:

First, America has been the best country on earth for black folks. It was here that 600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever known. Jeremiah Wright ought to go downon his knees and thank God he is an American.

Second, no people anywhere has done more to lift up blacks than white Americans. Untold trillions have been spent since the '60s on welfare, food stamps, rent supplements, Section 8 housing, Pell grants, student loans, legal services, Medicaid, Earned Income Tax Credits, and poverty programs designed to bring the African-American community into the mainstream. Governments, businesses, and colleges have engaged in discrimination against white folks -- with affirmative action, contract set-asides and quotas -- to advance black applicants over white applicants. Churches, foundations, civic groups, schools and individuals all over America have donated their time and money to support soup kitchens, adult education, day care, retirement and nursing homes for blacks.

We hear the grievances. Where is the gratitude?

Barack talks about new 'ladders of opportunity' for blacks. Let him go to Altoona and Johnstown , and ask the white kids in Catholic schools how many were visited lately by Ivy League recruiters handing out scholarships for'deserving' white kids.

Is white America really responsible for the fact that the crime and incarceration rates for African-Americans are seven times those of white America ? Is it really white America's fault that illegitimacy in the African-American community has hit 70% and the black dropout rate from high schools in some cities has reached 50%?

Is that the fault of white America or, first and foremost, a failure of the black community itself?

As for racism, its ugliest manifestation is in interracial crime, and especially interracial crimes of violence. Is Barack Obama aware that while white criminals choose black victims 3% of the time, black criminals choose white victims 45% of the time?

Is Barack aware that black-on-white rapes are 100 times more common than the reverse, that black-on-white robberies were 139 times as common in the first three years of this decade as the reverse?

We have all heard ad nauseam from the Rev. Al Sharpton about Tawana Brawley, the Duke rape case and Jena . And all turned out to be hoaxes. But about the epidemic of black assaults on whites that are real, we hear nothing.

Sorry, Barack, some of us have heard it all before, about 40 years and 40 trillion tax dollars ago.

11. I invented that

Reputations:
    Are we supposed to ignore what our senses tell us?

AllAboutHim Ed likes this.
  12. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

True

CrucifiedAGT likes this.
  13. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    600,000 Dead in the cvil war

I think we have paid them back and then some.

14. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

No, however I do think it's fair to try not to let this stuff cause us to unfairly generalize. If we are aware of how the mind works we can be better people :)

Gusbuss likes this.
  15. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

Within reason :grad:

If I'm downtown Newark at 2AM, I ain't got time for being a better person.....It's about survival.

In everyday life I will try to give people the benefit of the doubt, though

16. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    When did Pat start writing for The Onion?

blindbella and Shortwave98 like this.
  17. I invented that

Reputations:
    Is it whitey's fault that a certain segment of the population refuses to assimilate and demands to be separate but equal?

Weed, jake206 and AllAboutHim Ed like this.
  18. I invented that

Reputations:
    :lol:

Quoting his own post.

h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0 and Stew Nod like this.
  19. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    Scissor scissor scissor scissor.

Alisonsbankacct likes this.
  20. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

Fair question...Like I said. The whole subject is fascinating to me...very complex