News So, it's okay to get fucked up on the job now?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Court sides with employee fired for smoking pot at work

HARTFORD, Conn. — A Connecticut state worker fired after he was caught smoking marijuana on the job was punished too harshly and should get his job back, the state Supreme Court ruled Friday.
    Gregory Linhoff was fired from his maintenance job at the University of Connecticut Health Center in Farmington in 2012 after a police officer caught him smoking pot in a state-owned vehicle. He had no previous disciplinary problems since being hired in 1998 and had received favorable job evaluations, according to his union. He was arrested, but the charges were later dismissed.
    State officials said firing the New Hartford resident was the only appropriate penalty for his conduct and not doing so would send a bad message to other employees. An arbitrator disagreed and overturned the firing, saying Linhoff instead should be suspended without pay for six months and be subject to random drug testing for a year after he returned to work.
    The state appealed and a Superior Court judge overturned the arbitrator’s decision on the grounds that it violated Connecticut’s public policy against marijuana use. Linhoff’s union, the Connecticut Employees Union Independent SEIU, appealed the judge’s ruling to the Supreme Court.
    All seven justices agreed that the lower court judge was wrong to overturn the arbitrator’s ruling, saying that while state policy on drug use in the work place allows for firing workers it does not require it. Justices also said that judicial second-guessing of arbitration awards is uncommon and should be reserved only for extraordinary circumstances.

“The misconduct at issue was completely unacceptable, and we do not condone it,” Chief Justice Chase T. Rogers wrote in the decision.
    “By the arbitrator’s estimation, (Linhoff’s) personal qualities and overall record indicate that he is a good candidate for a second chance,” Rogers wrote. “Moreover, the discipline the arbitrator imposed was appropriately severe, and sends a message to others who might consider committing similar misconduct that painful consequences will result.”
    Linhoff couldn’t be reached for comment Friday. A phone number for him could not be found.
    His attorney, Barbara Collins, and officials with the state Attorney General’s Office did not immediately return messages.
    At the time Linhoff was fired, he was seeking treatment for depression, stress and anxiety because his wife had filed for divorce and he had a cancer scare; he believed smoking pot helped to alleviate his worries, Collins has said.
    Collins wrote in court documents that Linhoff’s conduct was not so egregious that he should be denied a second chance.

2. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
  3. Phil McKrakin

Phil McKrakin AKA Howie POTY The Bar VIP

Reputations:
  4. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    unions.

5. TeeDonkey

TeeDonkey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  6. TeeDonkey

TeeDonkey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

I don't disagree, but to be more specific: Public Sector Govt Unions.

White privilege?

Coke Can Baby and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  7. Coke Can Baby

Coke Can Baby Don't be a skunk Gold

Reputations:
    Only the best and brightest for the government

8. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I dunno, 6 month's no pay suspension doesn't sound like anyone is saying it is "ok".

sstressed likes this.
  9. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah because government maintenance workers should have a Bachelor's degree. I've known many government lawyers, scientists, and engineers and they were very bright but they didn't want to whore themselves out for the almighty dollar. So instead of thanking them for working for less money for the good of the populace I guess we should just insult them.

And the hard working employees aren't very happy with the unions either, they have to carry the workload for the slackers that the union protects.

10. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    in nearly 20 years he'd never been in any trouble
    had been given good reviews

I can see why they fired him (that wasn't the first time he'd done this)
    I can see why it was changed to what is still a real serious blow to the guy's life

6 months without a paycheck-that's gonna eat into his weed money

Turbongr likes this.
  11. Coke Can Baby

Coke Can Baby Don't be a skunk Gold

Reputations:
    Has nothing to do with blue collarbvs white collar

Has everything to do with continuing the employement of a substandard employee, paying an extreme premium for this employee via Union salaries and benefits and not getting an efficient product. The money government has comes from my pocket and to be wasteful and inefficient galls me to no end