So, umm, either Dawg is inserting ads or something ain't right...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Chimney Portions, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    And I'm certain that Dawg is not inserting ads...

Anybody want to educate me on what this is and how I get rid of it?

[​IMG]
    I've seen the same type of ad pop up on wikipedia and youtube within the last two weeks.

2. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've been getting a certain amount of words underscored and hyperlinked and when you pass over them it show something like what you show, but it's not only on this site. It may be a browser issue, which one are you using?

3. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    I'm using Chrome. This started happening shortly after I downloaded the Social Fixer extensions from Chrome's Webstore, but I haven't seen anybody report any issues with that extension...so it's most likely a coincidence.

4. Chimney Portions

Reputations:

Oh and I haven't had any text underscored or hyperlinked here or elsewhere...just the ads.

5. shockingmary

shockingmary New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    problably malware

6. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    That's what I figured, but my Norton's up to date and I have no idea where to go from here.

7. Murphy

Murphy mglw'nafh fhthagn-ngah VIP

Reputations:
    Avast > Norton

Since it's a dental ad, I'd TOTALLY blame Bye You (especially since she's not here yet).

8. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    I was thinking the exact same thing! :byeyou:

9. Murphy

Murphy mglw'nafh fhthagn-ngah VIP

Reputations:
    :hug:

Honestly, tho, if you can s-can Norton, get something else. It's an okay antivirus (et al), but it's easily hacked and a resource hog. Grab Avast! or Zone Alarm. :B Spybot is something you can grab now and scan your comp with, it won't mess with Norton and SHOULD find the malware and quarantine it (depending on the malware coding, of course). It's a free product, so no harm to your pocket.

10. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    I'm rather slow, so let me just make sure I'm understanding you correctly. DLing/running Avast with Norton already installed won't fuck with my computing machine? I remember several years back when running Norton with McAfee created a window for a nasty trojan. That was like a decade ago when I was using AOL with a 56k, but still...

And thanks, brutha! :lo5:

11. JaredWD

JaredWD Active Member

Reputations:
    Step 1: In the mobile number box, type in 516-922-WINE
    Step 2: Click "Call Me Now"

In all seriousness, it appears that you have some malicious extension installed.. go into browser preferences and check under the extensions tab. You should be able to disable it from there.

12. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
  13. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I guess you use Chrome. Chrome have shitty privacy setting and let third party adware to be installed.

You will never have viruses/malware on real computers (Unix based).

People who care about privacy should not use Chrome. Nothing is for free. You are Googles commodity. They make money on datamining everything you do. People who have outbound firewalls have fun with Chrome. Chrome calls home every day. Block that port, and Chrome tries another port the next time. Only program in 30 years that I have seen that have done that.

Chrome uses WebKit, the greatest web renderer. Apple Safari also uses Webkit, but a newer version. Apple makes it money from hardware, and therefore they don't datamine.

This is not meant as a Google Vs Apple or anything else. Just facts. I think Chrome is great and use loads of Google services. I know that they store all my information and if I do something bad, the cops will see every single search I have done since I started to use Google search.

I wish I could pay goolge a fee to not datamine my stuff.

14. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    i hacked the system. call me now!

15. Cawn

Cawn Active Member

Reputations:

By all means. This will mop up after what spills past your anti-virus wares. Thinking back, I can't remember the last PC I owned that I didn't utilize this great freeware.

16. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:

just a suggestion: hover over the ad, right click and see what the source is. then if you use ff or safari use adblock to (1) block popups, and (2) block the ad source. on ff you can go to about:config and search for the source string to see what is supplying it. in safari you use Window-Activity to see the popup source.

17. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    much as i like MAB, if the thing is loaded as a XUL component in Firefox MAB won't find it because all of FF is XUL and it looks normal. many BHO have a tiny approval that you have to opt-out in order to not add advertising links when you install their toolbar.

Social Fixer doesn't do this (and is only active on Facebook) if you get it from the developer, but some 3rd-party sites have added their own special gifts to his package.

18. slacker

slacker New Member

Reputations:
    skip the dumb shit.... norton f'n blows and is slow as fuck, delete it and use Avast (put it on your phone too).... use Opera as your browser... and use Spybot once a week...

19. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...im using ie9 with kaspersky and i never even have a problem here or anywhere. it does sound like malware. i really happy with kasperskys, i will buy it again well worth it.

20. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    You're right. It's malware, and virus scanners don't do a real good job removing them. I use 2 different free ones, Spybot being one of them, and Malwarebytes being the other.