News So where is the line for hate crimes?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :bigthinkIf one has a bad ticker or a mental disability is that a "hate crime?"

New York man, 20, charged with hate crime after attacking and robbing teenager born with no arms

[​IMG]
    Vincent Popalardo, 20, has been charged with robbery and assault as a hate crime after he allegedly attacked a teenager born without arms
    A 20-year-old New York man will face hate crime charges after he and two others allegedly attacked and robbed a teenager born without arms.
    Vincent Popalardo has been charged with robbery as a hate crime and assault as a hate crime for the November 30 robbery of Carlos Simon, 18, in front of a Dunkin' Donuts in Staten Island.
    Simon said he was waiting for a friend outside the chain when three people came up and asked him for money.
    'I told them no, and they got offended, and one of them threatened to go into my pockets,' Simon told The New York Daily News in December.
    Simon had just placed his phone, which he holds with his shoulder and uses his nose for the touch screen, on a window ledge.
    He said a fourth man suddenly ran up and swiped the phone before the group fled.
    Simon quickly gave chase, but he suddenly realized he was alone with his attackers on an isolated side street.
    That's when the three teenagers who had originally approached Simon tried to rob him.
    'They cornered me, surrounded me on both sides, and tried to dig their hands into my pockets,' he told CBS New York.
    A passerby heard his screams and Simon was able to then run back to the shopping center.
    'I guess they just saw me as an easy target,' he said.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Carlos Simon, 18, had his phone stolen as he waited for a friend outside a Dunkin' Donuts in Staten Island on November 30. Simon said a group of three teenagers first approached him and asked him for money
    [​IMG]
    +1
    Simon said they got offended when he said no and threatened to go into his pockets before a fourth man suddenly ran up and swiped his phone (pictured is footage police released of the four suspects)
    Staten Island District Attorney Michael McMahon said Simon was targeted because of his disability.
    'All crimes are unacceptable, but those committed against an individual because of his or her disability are particularly despicable,' he said.
    'It's really messed up to target people like me specifically,' Simon said.
    'I guess I could use the word cowardice, to use that many people on somebody who supposedly can't fight back.'

2. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    White

3. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    I really hope someone in prison teaches this guy a lesson and rights this wrong.

babybear and goldtopper like this.
  4. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    the idea of a hate crime is pretty goofy and all
    but if it's used to give some piece of shit a longer prison term then I can live with it
    and this guy is a piece of shit

5. Irish Joe

Irish Joe Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hope this guy's defense lawyer eviscerates the fucking prosecutor in court for charging this as a hate crime. Selectively choosing which people to rob based on their apparent vulnerability isn't "hate" no matter how you twist it.

Relu, hugh jasol and PI Nate like this.
  6. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:
    Just how in the hell do you do this to someone?

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  7. Irish Joe

Irish Joe Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The guy's a piece of shit, but we need to move away from idea that committing a crime against someone of a different sex, ethnicity, sexual persuasion, physical condition or whatever demands the addition of onerous criminal penalties on the perpetrator. If you embezzle money from your employer, you shouldn't spend twice as long in prison if he's black than if he were white. That's not how justice should work.

Freedom Fries, reno and Shithead like this.
  8. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

in a perfect world everything would be fair
    it ain't that way and never will be

I won't lose sleep that some loser gets 15 years in prison when some other loser got 8 for the same crime
    now you wanna give them both 15 then I can get on board with that

killallposers likes this.
  9. kinneyjames

kinneyjames Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Military recruiters should be all over teenage boys in the hood. This, however, is not a hate crime. It is a stupid, hateful crime.

10. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Death......By Bunga-Bunga!!!!!

hugh jasol likes this.
  11. Johnnykstaint

Johnnykstaint VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I dont know where the line is...specific legislation for 'hate crimes' is obviously political lip service to some faction or another.

12. Chatsworth

Chatsworth Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    And breaks both his arms.

unclefreddy likes this.
  13. Chatsworth

Chatsworth Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I don't believe in the whole "hate crime" thing. Too political. Too Orwellian. Its usually used just to persecute White, male criminals. Apparently White men are the only people out there who commit crimes with malice.

14. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    most all people charged with hate crimes are white. the whole idea of the hate crime is racist

SorryBoff and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  15. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]That's going to be one disappointed woman who shows up for her Tinder date with this guy.

unclefreddy likes this.
  16. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    New York really knows how to run a society. From hate crimes to roving gangs attacking the armless. We should let someone from there run the rest of the country for us.

17. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    "The FBI just released the latest hate crime statistics and it doesn’t look good for the black community, which is portrayed as America’s biggest victim. In 2013 24.3% of all hate crime offenders were black. According to the last census, blacks make up 12.6% of the population. That means that blacks commit hate crimes at nearly double the rate of their population percentage.

Now let’s compare that to whites: The FBI reports that 52.4% of hate crime offenders were white. Keep in mind that the FBI considers Hispanics as whites so the percentage of actual white hate crime offenders is likely much lower. In any case, non-Hispanic whites make up 63.7% of the US population. Throw in the Hispanics and it’s 72.4%. Either way, whites commit hates crimes at a rate lower than their population percentage."

http://downtrend.com/71superb/new-f...ely-to-commit-hate-crimes-than-any-other-race

SouthernListen likes this.
  18. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Observing the harried white woman making sandwiches at the local place for $8/hour during the lunch rush and noting her beater 20 year old Toyota that's always there in the parking lot, I couldn't help but think to myself "what smug white-priviledged woman she is"

19. Gigashadow

Gigashadow Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    These two guys are scum. That being said, I think they targeted him because he was an easy mark. This really isn't a "hate" crime, but rather a crime of opportunity IMO.

20. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Interesting,I would not have thought this were the case, I guess the media only picks up on stories where the perpetual is white.

My issue w/ the hate crime laws is what is the fucking difference why someone assaulted another person? If I hit you with a tire iron because I want your iPhone that somehow is lessential damaging to you than if I did it because you're an Eskimo? One comes with an automatic 5 extra yrs? Ridiculous.