Politics Some Hispanics Face Ridicule Over Support For Trump

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Dirty South, May 26, 2016.

1. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    Hispanic voters in Florida, New Mexico and California have waved Mexican flags and bashed Donald Trump piñatas — clashing with police, at times — to protest the Republican presidential contender's hard line approach to immigration.

Yet far from the protests, an increasingly vocal Hispanic minority is speaking out in favor of the brash billionaire. They are backing Trump even in the face of resentment and suspicion from friends and family, who are among the overwhelming majority of non-white voters opposed to the New York businessman's candidacy.

"I'm not ashamed to vote for Trump. I'd just rather not have the conversation with my family," said Natalie Lally, a 22-year-old college student from New York City whose large extended family has Colombian roots.

She says silence fell over her grandmother's living room when she admitted her support for Trump during a recent family gathering that included more than 30 relatives.

"They just kind of seemed uneasy," she recalled. "And my uncle just said, 'Why?'"

In the border towns of Texas, the working-class neighborhoods of New York, and even inside Trump's overwhelmingly white rallies, the pro-Trump Hispanic minority is willing to risk public and private ridicule to defend the GOP's presumptive presidential nominee. So far, however, they're not getting much help from Trump's campaign, which has yet to launch an outreach effort to improve his standing with the growing voting bloc.

Approximately 23 percent of Hispanics said they'd vote for Trump in a May poll conducted by Fox News. Other recent polling places Trump far lower. The GOP's last presidential nominee, Mitt Romney, has cited his poor standing with Hispanic voters as one of his biggest regrets from the last election, when he earned 27 percent of the Hispanic vote.

Trump's team acknowledges the importance of the voting bloc, but says there has been little organized outreach so far.

"Any demographic that is growing at the rate of the Latino voters obviously will be of the utmost importance to a presidential campaign," Trump aide Ed Brookover said when asked about Hispanic outreach. "I know it's been talked about, but I think it's a touch early. I don't know of anything organized."

Trump's team expects to work closely with the Republican National Committee, however, which has had paid Hispanic outreach staff on the ground in nine states.

Trump supporters are eager to help.

Carlos Guerra, a 24-year-old son of Mexican immigrants who lives along the border in Laredo, Texas, says he wants to do more than wear Trump's "Make American Great Again" hat around town.

"Our town is sick of the violence from Mexico," he said, applauding Trump's plan to build a massive wall on the border. "People are dying every day."

Some of his family members also support Trump, but "they're not as loud about it," he said.

"I have talked to a lot of people and of course they criticize me," Guerra added. "They ask, 'Do you hate your race?' I feel discriminated against, honestly."

Trump's policies and tone on immigration have sparked passionate — and sometimes violent — reactions from minority voters.

His vow to complete a massive wall along the Mexican border is a pillar of his agenda. He has also promised to impose a temporary ban on Muslims entering the U.S., embraced plans to deport more than 11 million immigrants in the country illegally and described Mexico sending rapists and criminals across the border in his announcement speech.

He lashed out at protesters who clashed with police outside his Tuesday rally in Albuquerque, NM. The protesters, including many Hispanics, waved Mexican flags while others hurled rocks at police.

"The protesters in New Mexico were thugs who were flying the Mexican flag," Trump wrote on Twitter. "The rally inside was big and beautiful, but outside, criminals!"

During a Wednesday appearance in Anaheim, he claimed "a great relationship with the Hispanics."

"The Mexican people are great. They're going to vote for me like crazy," he said.

Outside the Anaheim event, a small group of protesters pummeled and decapitated a Trump piñata as police arrested more protesters.

Conversations with Trump Hispanic supporters across the country in recent months show many feel especially frustrated with immigrants in the country illegally. Many waited years for work authorization or citizenship or have relatives who did.

And while some embrace Trump's plans for the wall and deportations, others say they don't believe Trump actually plans to follow through with his proclamations on the campaign trail.

Yet there are often a handful of Hispanic supporters inside his rallies. Before Trump took the stage in Albuquerque, Mary Jo Andrade, 37, a licensed mental health counselor, said her 17-year-old daughter is often teased in school for backing him.

"She hears, 'Oh, you're not real Mexican. You're not true Mexican,'" Andrade said and added, "A lot of the time I tell her, 'Keep your silence because of that.'"

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/US-GOP-2016-Trump-Hispanics/2016/05/26/id/730867/

2. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    This is why I think Trump's actually doing better than the poll numbers show with Hispanics... there are a lot who agree with him on policy and jobs but won't say it or admit it publicly.

3. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    Interesting, people that have faced intolerance are intolerant.

4. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    Carlos Guerra, a 24-year-old son of Mexican immigrants who lives along the border in Laredo, Texas, says he wants to do more than wear Trump's "Make American Great Again" hat around town.

"Our town is sick of the violence from Mexico," he said, applauding Trump's plan to build a massive wall on the border. "People are dying every day."

Cuxan could take some lessons from this kid. According to Cuxan, there's no problems with the border. :derp:

@Jim J Jiblets
    @MAGA
    @CrucifiedAGT
    @1Vegasgirl
    @Hero Here
    @sumtexan

5. gitchasum

gitchasum Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's not just hispanics. I am a white male and have had a few people ridicule me when I tell them I am voting for Trump.

6. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    Keep sucking that Bozo the Trump cock. :jj:

7. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    Rightfully so.

Clowns support Bozo the Trump. This site is a great indication of this fact.

SaintJimmy likes this.
  8. Vincenzo69

Vincenzo69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A lot of Jews sold out their own and collaborated with the nazis

Scarlett Ohara and BethSucks like this.
  9. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    Good point. Trump has consistently beaten his polling numbers in the last several primaries.

It's sort of a reverse Bradley effect... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_effect

The Bradley effect (less commonly the Wilder effect)[1][2] is a theory concerning observed discrepancies between voteropinion polls and election outcomes in some United States government elections where a white candidate and a non-whitecandidate run against each other.[3][4][5] The theory proposes that some voters who intend to vote for the white candidate would nonetheless tell pollsters that they are undecided or likely to vote for the non-white candidate. It was named after Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, an African-American who lost the 1982 California governor's race despite being ahead in voter polls going into the elections.[6]

The Bradley effect posits that the inaccurate polls were skewed by the phenomenon of social desirability bias.[7][8] Specifically, some white voters give inaccurate polling responses for fear that, by stating their true preference, they will open themselves to criticism of racial motivation. Members of the public may feel under pressure to provide an answer that is deemed to be more publicly acceptable, or 'politically correct'. The reluctance to give accurate polling answers has sometimes extended to post-election exit polls as well. The race of the pollster conducting the interview may factor into voters' answers.

kingofallmessicans likes this.
  10. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    Can you explain to us all why illegal immigration has gone into negative numbers?

i.e., more people leaving than coming.

11. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    I've never seen anyone more concerned with making people believe Trump has Latino support. Trump has more than 1 million Latino supporters in California, more than the entire population of Wyoming, and 13 million detractors. He also seems challenged on which political threads belong in the Stern Forum and which go in Politics.

kingofallmessicans and sumtexan like this.
  12. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    Ummm, WTF does that mean? There's a rule on which forum can have which political threads? :wtf:

kingofallmessicans likes this.
  13. gitchasum

Reputations:
    I assume you are not voting Trump. What don't you like about him and how will Hillary address these things?

14. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    Im posting on a phone right now. I can't go into that much detail. Check back this evening.

But in short, Trump has NO plan, it's all just jibberish. He is not qualified for this job, and could do generational damage to our country.

Hillary is qualified to do this job on day one. She has serious plans and ideas.

kinneyjames likes this.
  15. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Stern is supposed to have only major stories/breaking political news, politics is supposed to have random anecdotal Newsmax stories, that's why there's a politics forum.

16. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    The United States of America loves immigrants. What they don't love are ILLEGAL immigrants.

President Trump will simply enforce the laws already on the books. Come here legally and all is good. Not that difficult a concept, Libcucks. :uhat:

17. gitchasum

Reputations:
    Oh. I didn't realize all that. Maybe I should reconsider.

Nah... I will stick with Trump.

18. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    This seems like a big deal to me. :dontknow: Widespread suppression of an entire ethnicity of Americans' political choice is un-American.

19. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    There is no way your jitterbug phone can post shit on the old interweb, bro. Nice try.

[​IMG]

20. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    If more Latinos considered themselves "American" first and "Latino" only after that, it wouldn't matter how many of them support Trump or not. Because it would mirror the rest of the country.

One reason many want to limit illegal immigration is that this sort of "immigrant" doesn't have that attitude. They're Mexicans (mostly) first and foremost in their minds, who just happen to live in the US borders and are here to take what they can get from it. Patriotic citizens don't go around waving another nation's flag at rallies whenever they don't like something.

I get the impression that those 23% are the ones who consider themselves Americans and want what's best for America's future, not just to be surrounded by more people who happen to look like them.