News Sorry Potheads....Scant evidence that medical pot helps many illnesses

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Jun 23, 2015.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

Study: Scant evidence that medical pot helps many illnesses

By LINDSEY TANNER
    AP Medical Writer

Jun 23, 12:01 PM EDT

[​IMG]

CHICAGO (AP) -- Medical marijuana has not been proven to work for many illnesses that state laws have approved it for, according to the first comprehensive analysis of research on its potential benefits.

The strongest evidence is for chronic pain and for muscle stiffness in multiple sclerosis, according to the review, which evaluated 79 studies involving more than 6,000 patients. Evidence was weak for many other conditions, including anxiety, sleep disorders, and Tourette's syndrome and the authors recommend more research.

The analysis is among several medical marijuana articles published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association. They include a small study suggesting that many brand labels for edible marijuana products list inaccurate amounts of active ingredients. More than half of brands tested had much lower amounts than labeled, meaning users might get no effect.

Highlights from the journal:

THE ANALYSIS

The researchers pooled results from studies that tested marijuana against placebos, usual care or no treatment. That's the most rigorous kind of research but many studies found no conclusive evidence of any benefit. Side effects were common and included dizziness, dry mouth and sleepiness. A less extensive research review in the journal found similar results.

It's possible medical marijuana could have widespread benefits, but strong evidence from high-quality studies is lacking, authors of both articles say.

"It's not a wonder drug but it certainly has some potential," said Dr. Robert Wolff, a co-author and researcher with Kleijnen Systematic Reviews Ltd., a research company in York, England.

EDIBLE PRODUCTS

Researchers evaluated 47 brands of medical marijuana products, including candy, baked goods and drinks, bought at dispensaries in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle.

Independent laboratory testing for THC, marijuana's leading active ingredient, found accurate amounts listed on labels for just 13 of 75 products. Almost 1 in 4 had higher amounts than labeled, which could cause ill effects. Most had lower-than-listed amounts. There were similar findings for another active ingredient. Products were not identified by name.

Johns Hopkins University researcher Ryan Vandrey, the lead author, said he was surprised so many labels were inaccurate. The researchers note, however, that the results may not be the same in other locations.

MARIJUANA LAWS

Twenty-three states and Washington, D.C. have laws permitting medical marijuana use. Approved conditions vary but include Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, glaucoma, kidney disease, lupus and Parkinson's disease.

An editorial in the journal says approval in many states has been based on poor quality studies, patients' testimonials or other nonscientific evidence.

Marijuana is illegal under federal law and some scientists say research has been stymied by government hurdles including a declaration that marijuana is a controlled substance with no accepted medical use.

But in a notice published Tuesday in the Federal Register, the Department of Health and Human Services made it a little easier for privately funded medical marijuana research to get approved. The department said that a federal Public Health Service review of research proposals is no longer necessary because it duplicates a required review by the Food and Drug Administration.

THE FUTURE

Colorado, one of a few states where recreational marijuana use is legal, has pledged more than $8 million in state funds for several studies on the drug's potential medical benefits, including whether it can reduce veterans' symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. That study may begin recruiting participants later this year, said Vandrey, one of that study's leaders.

Vandrey said there's a feeling of optimism in the research community that "we'll start to get a good science base" for the potential medical uses of marijuana.

THE RECOMMENDATIONS

The editorial by two Yale University psychiatrists suggests enthusiasm for medical marijuana has outpaced rigorous research and says widespread use should wait for better evidence. Federal and state governments should support and encourage such research, the editorial says.

"Perhaps it is time to place the horse back in front of the cart," Drs. Deepak Cyril D'Souza and Mohini Ranganathan wrote in the editorial.

They note that repeated recreational marijuana use can be addictive and say unanswered questions include what are the long-term health effects of medical marijuana use and whether its use is justified in children whose developing brains may be more vulnerable to its effects.

2. Shadoe Stevens

Shadoe Stevens Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I clicked on this but forgot why. Sorry. Im high.

beetlejosh, monsoon, joemama and 3 others like this.
  3. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
  4. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    been saying this for years. i am 100% for the legalization of drugs but the MMJ is pure bullshit. any doctor rx'ing should have his license taken away. AMA doctors (MD, real doctors, allopathic doctors) are supposed to do medicine based on preponderance scientific evidence but there has never been any studies to conclusively prove pot works for the myriad conditions it is prescribed for, no way to determine adverse interactions (there are crazy interactions with some strong antibiotics like cipro ), etc.. its totally irresponsible medicine and these drs are no better than the "florida pill mill" doctors that have been stripped of their licenses and arrested en masse the last few years (hospice cannot get narcotics rx filled for DYING PEOPLE anymore because of this nonsense),which has left many suffering ppl out in the cold as no dr will dare prescribe narcotics anymore in florida, while all the pot docs in CA can deal drugs with impunity.

sino8r, TallTyrion, Captain and 3 others like this.
  5. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They same the same shit about coffee.

Good one year, bad the next.

Nobody can make up their mind.

JRoyle411, cetiya, JFK and 1 other person like this.
  6. Chicken Soda

Chicken Soda Unknown Member

Reputations:
    Coffee preventing and causing cancer alternates in the headlines each year.

Mr Sinister likes this.
  7. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    I like to smoke weed and I'm all for the legalization of it.

That said, when I smoke a lot, I do notice my short-term memory gets fucked.

If you think it's not bad for you, you're naive. Anything fun that gives you a buzz is.

8. Just Me

Just Me VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    It helps my mental illness more than any psychiatric drug I've ever taken. It helped my friend not vomit and feel much better during Chemo. It helps all kindsa people with all kindsa shit so fuck that article.

9. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    That study was about Dronabinol, a synthetic form of THC, not marijuana itself.

Also, if you get your news from The Blaze, you're probably dumber than a pothead.

10. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...no but it will take your mind off it. :c

seriously tho lest you think im smoking a bowl of legal washington weed there is a cannabis oil extract that is taken out of the plant that doesnt get you high and has been shown to help kids with epilepsy, or so say the parents. i think cnn did an hour on it, "charlettes web". theres a lot of things that are bad for you including the shit they put into the food you buy at the grocery store that ends up killing you.

11. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    1Vegasgirl and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  12. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  13. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i laugh at the miracle drug claims made by some folks. the article basically states that it doesn't help people with the huge number of things people have claimed that weed helps, everything from hangnails to cancer. it doesn't say it has shown no benefit to anybody.

i know that it helps some people with some things, and it doesn't help others. i have 2 friends with MS, they swear by it. i cringe when people talk about pot like it's a miracle drug. they will find more and more uses for the plant as the fed gubment relaxes their death grip on weed.

all i want is for them to stop jailing people for catching a buzz.

14. sstressed

Reputations:
    the exact thing i told my doctor. :leaf:

1Vegasgirl, Dlist and R.P. McMurphy like this.
  15. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
  16. Micheal Kenyon

Micheal Kenyon Here

Reputations:
    Hill also makes the point that there are more than 60 different cannabinoids in marijuana, and research has studied only a handful of them. (Only two cannabinoid medications are approved by the FDA.) “There could be medical conditions for which a plant itself, with a combination of 60-plus cannabinoids, will outperform those two cannabinoids that we have,” he says.

“It’s very likely that we’re going to have new cannabinoids approved by the FDA within the next few years” for chronic pain, spasticity, and neuropathic pain, Hill says. “But right now because there are only two cannabinoids available, there is a place for medical marijuana.”

This is a small part that was left out by Ms. Tanner. Very, very slanted piece of work to serve a purpose.

bubba kush, Dlist, Zach and 1 other person like this.
  17. sstressed

Reputations:
    but it ruins the whole cannabis is a joke line. :nocheer:

Zach likes this.
  18. Zach

Zach Say10 Says Smile

Reputations:
  19. Pothead

Pothead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Now with WA, CA, and CO all having legal recreational herb California is the 800-pound elephant in the room

wife is a whore and sstressed like this.
  20. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    waaaa. there is no good evidence because the feds restrict possession and therefore testing. then the feds can say that there is no good tests because they prohibit them, and then a few whinny obviously uneducated ignorant people insist that this lack is evidence of anything other than political manipulation.

Zach and sstressed like this.