Soul

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Estocada, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Estocada

Estocada Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Do you think you have one? I'm seriously asking. For most of my life I literally doubted that human beings had souls and that everything that there is, all reality, were contained for an individual by their experiences here. I have come not to believe that anymore and that people do have individual souls that they can nourish or degrade through their actions and even their thoughts.

2. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Soul-less.

3. Estocada

Reputations:
    That will probably be the overwhelming reaction of the posters here. We are a pretty world weary, cynical bunch.

4. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    I believe in a soul, but maybe not in the sense OP means? I mean not in a religious way or anything mystic.

5. Estocada

Reputations:

Please clarify. Does your soul continue on after your physical death in your concept of a soul? I'm not trying to spring my version of God or religious belief on you, just asking.

6. Mur

Mur soon VIP

Reputations:
    I used to have a soul but i sold it. :fil:

7. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    Hmmmmmm, not that's a good question. I'm gonna say "no", but I also think that in some sense a "soul" is a form of energy, and if so, there are probably reverberations/lingering traces of that energy. And I realize that sounds like mumbo-jumbo, but I don't know how to word it better without dwelling on it for a long time....

8. HeinousMark

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;Z0Hfe8M-xdY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Hfe8M-xdY[/video]

9. Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The devil stopped by NC on his way to Georgia and stole mine.

10. Estocada

Reputations:
    I have come to believe that there is indeed a battle in everyone between good and evil. Is Satan behind a traffic jam or a flat tire? No, of course not, but...

But a person has to in my opinion humble themselves and realize we are spiritual beings and that there are larger forces at work. I never would accept this before and assumed that my will and my character (or lack thereof) was all there was.

I know the above sounds pretty naive and stupid to probably everyone here but I just believe it now. Too much has happened for me to believe otherwise. I think science explains the physical world very well (and I am a trained degreed chemist) but is unable to explain many aspects of human behavior at all, other than labeling it and moving on.

11. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    i think the soul is what science describes as personality or identity; the part of you that you talk to (aloud or in your head) when you're alone and thinking about things that require consideration and a decision. this isn't a religious item: i doubt it persists beyond death or exists before death. i think it grows as you do, to a degree.

i can see the distinction between the soul and the body in animals easier than in people because animals seem to exist on "auto-pilot" more than people.

my pets have their own personalities that are definitely in there but are not always active and aware. usually something unusual has to happen in their surroundings to cause their personalities to "wake up". i think people are similar but their identity is more often awake almost all the time but just not paying attention to all aspects of themselves.

12. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    i don't see good and evil as two absolutes: i think people decide to do things, and others judge their actions as good and evil. this subjective quality, and that the definitions of things change over time between good and evil, tends to support this.

13. beatlejaws

beatlejaws nowhere poster

Reputations:
    even Richard Nixon has got soul----Neil Young

14. Estocada

Reputations:

Until recently I would have agreed with you. But now I believe good and evil are not merely subjective abstractions. I now believe that souls do exist and persist beyond our bodies beginnings and endings. I also believe, literally, that a person can be good or evil in an absolute sense. And that they determine that.

15. Estocada

Reputations:

Hospitals have made him cry but there's always a freeway in his eyes.

16. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    MattyT will love you now.

17. Bubbleguts420

Bubbleguts420 2 word review, shit sandwich

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;hXVgoLd1rIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXVgoLd1rIs[/video]

18. Estocada

Reputations:
    I'm not a very dogmatic person. I think there are many paths not just one. I am saying I suppose that I believe a path is necessary for me. Perhaps no path or an entirely different path is needed by others.

19. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    i cannot think of anyone i would classify as absolutely evil, nor can i think of anyone who is absolutely good: in this world someone who is absolutely good would have to have never hurt anything, never caused the death or injury of anything. Such a person cannot eat anything. to be absolutely evil everything else would be abhorrent to him including others who share his polarity. I don't see how either could exist or survive.

and since the definitions of good and evil change over time, well that is the definition of subjective so belief doesn't matter.

20. Estocada

Reputations:

Mm no problem with that. As long as you realize that I am not doing the labeling as good or evil except perhaps in a criminal sense. I think people make choices that move them toward one path or another. Other people's judgements or opinions are immaterial to their choices.