News sounds like apple caved

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by R.P. McMurphy, Mar 21, 2016.

1. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...this reminds me of an artice years ago that said osama bin laden was working with the cartel to poison cocaine shipments. doesnt pass the smell test.

RIVERSIDE, Calif. — Citing a new possible way to access a locked iPhone used by a shooter in the San Bernardino terrorist attack, the Justice Department on Monday convinced a federal court to cancel a Tuesday hearing on whether Apple should be forced to help the FBI break into the device.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/feds-move-to-cancel-iphone-hearing-221062#ixzz43aZZdFUo
    Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/feds-move-to-cancel-iphone-hearing-221062

2. RoachCoachJokes

RoachCoachJokes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    somedude61, EndOfLine and cg256 like this.
  3. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...its just sounds too fishy. one minute the justice department has their back against the wall and needs apples help then all of a sudden a magic solution was found sitting in a file drawer somewhere. apple sold its fan boys out and is just trying to keep it hush hush. i knew they would, their ceo is a finaok. oh and lol at the aclu suddenly becoming ninja techies. know more bullshit.

4. Miss America

Miss America Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thought this was going to be about Beff's cat:
    [​IMG]

DaTenses likes this.
  5. FunnyFarm2

FunnyFarm2 voice of reason VIP Gold

Reputations:
    If apple gave up the info then good for them. You can't possibly be in favor of apple having info about a terrorist killing people and not giving it up. As long as they only do it in extreme circumstances like this, I don't mind. Lord only knows that if one of my loved ones was killed, I'd want everyone involved to brought to justice.

MadWoman777 likes this.
  6. RoachCoachJokes

Reputations:
    The feds knew they were going to lose, and so they made the tactical decision to back off and try another day to destroy privacy and security as we know it. Simple as that.

At no point did the FBI have any experts in security or encryption on their side in this debate. No one. Their claims that this was a one-time only deal, were bullshit from the word go. This was all about setting a precedent. They will try to do so again.

7. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:

all the need to so is send that phone a few tit pictures and it will give up the password on its own

R.P. McMurphy likes this.
  8. RoachCoachJokes

Reputations:
    Well no "ninja techies" came forward to claim any flaws in what the ACLU said. And many ninja techies endorsed what they had to say. They were right, and so were all the other ninja techies who took Apple's side.

This whole debate is one of those rare instances of clear-cut right and wrong. Apple is right, the feds are wrong.

fredrogers, FrstTimeLngTme and Droog like this.
  9. bootyclause

bootyclause Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    oh my god, America is so losery now.

"Don't help fight the terrorists, I need to make sure my faggy Iphone emails of cat videos are encrypted"

FunnyFarm2 and R.P. McMurphy like this.
  10. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Geez. Maybe they should let Snowden back into the country to help them out.

11. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    The guys employers took the phone back, and changed the password themselves.

Whats really going on?

12. walterHwhite

walterHwhite Heisenberg

Reputations:

No they think they can do it themselves :rofl:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...to-access-shooters-iphone-without-apples-help

13. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It has to do with the power of government. It's like free speech and the right to due process. If we're going to have protected speech, that means putting up with Danel Carver, Westboro Baptist Church, Skinheads, and Donald Trump. And even very bad people are entitled to a fair trial and representation. The cops can't go busting into a child rapist's house and obtain evidence illegally. I value my privacy, therefore, I don't support the government forcing Apple to create a hack to encrypted information even if it means we won't be able to know more about terrorists. I'm simply not willing to give up liberty under the false guise that the government will keep me safer.

14. RoachCoachJokes

Reputations:
    The employers didn't change the phone's passcode. They reset the terrorist dude's iCloud password, at the Feds' request. Because the Feds are apparently stupid and fucked up. (If they hadn't reset the iCloud password, Apple could have complied with their request for the iCloud backup, as they routinely do for the Feds.)

Droog likes this.
  15. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...so if a terrorist group is planning to poison the water supply of your town youd rather drink the water than have the feds know your wife asked you to stop by the store for a loaf of bread?

16. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If I were the Feds I'd play it this way:

Hey Apple give us what we want or we throw your ass in jail and make you product seem un-American.

If you help us, we will continue to "fight" with you in public for a while so you can still sell your phone in China, Russia and other wacked out countries which is why you are fighting us in the first place.

It's never about principals, it's always about money.

17. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I'm sorry, is there a rash of terrorists poisoning our waters? Last I checked, the only people poisoning water around the country, are the government you're so keen to bend over and grab your ankles for.

18. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:

libtard too afraid to admit all the patriotic puffy talk about freedom is worthless if your own life was on the line? :bigthink:

19. RoachCoachJokes

Reputations:
    Apple doesn't have a monopoly on encryption. If iPhones are known to be compromised by a gov't backdoor, then terrorists will use some other messaging service with end-to-end encryption... like some open source thing that isn't controlled by a corporation that can be taken to court. Or they'll use burner phones, like the Paris attackers used (as many techie folks assumed):

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2016/03/paris-terrorist-attacks-burner-phones-not-encryption/

Get it through your head: this case was not about protecting you from scary terrorists. It was about setting a precedent so that the Feds could more easily compromise your security and privacy. Nothing else. Full stop.

Droog, DaTenses and cg256 like this.
  20. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...apple caved. :jj: