Sports = Artie's Show Has No Shelf Life

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Peau de Soie, May 10, 2013.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    It just occurred to me that including sports content, even the reduced amount we have in the Rickless era of the show, has a real hidden cost. The Artie radio and TV shows are CRIPPLED from having any kind of longevity or resale value.

You know how Howard Stern has been able to regurgitate and repackage and rerun his old shows endlessly and in various forms ("The Tapes", History of HS, etc., etc.) ?

You know how modern sitcoms and dramas are re-run and resold endlessly? How ancient shows like Carol Burnett and Carson and Ed Sullivan and stupid Dean Martin are able to CHARGE for DVDs?

These shows included comedy, music, storytelling, and in Stern's case topical news. They did NOT include sports content.

Is anyone storing and pulling up old Mike and the Mad Dog episodes to enjoy? Is there a "Ferrall Shuffle" on Sirius I'm unaware of?

No one wants to hear discussion of 10 year old NFL draft shuffling, unless something unusual happened. No one will care what a nameless sports blogger or "CBS Sports analyst" thought of the 2012 Knicks a year from now.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm being a fag because I don't like sports to begin with, but I am guessing I'm right even for people who enjoy the sports aspect of Artie's show.

Do you disagree? Am I underestimating the degree to which people can enjoy old sports talk (aside from a relatively few remarkable highlights)? Of course everything ages, but I just think the yesterday's-news fish-wrap effect is more pronounced with sports chat (and with financial and political chat for that matter).

Your thoughts? :)

2. Undercarriage

Undercarriage Active Member

Reputations:
    I don't recall anyone here who enjoys the sports aspect of the show. I can't imagine many tune in to the show for Art's take on sports. Rarely will I find a sports guest who I enjoy. Vic Henley andBrian Jones are the only ones I can think of right now he's had on that I like. Artie can have great segments with these two without ever mentioning sports.

I didn't listen to the show before Dtv. How different was the show back then? I just think this show could be really good if they'd just blow up this format and start over. It seems way too regimented with interviews and bad music. I'm pulling for Ritchie but Artie needs a better supporting cast.

3. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Well I know what you mean, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that SOMEONE must like the sports aspect? Bueller? I mean, I know I'm biased because I don't follow sports in general.

Rick was still on the show when it went to DirecTV -- if you think it's regimented NOW, surely you remember how ridiculously regimented it was during his reign? Sports scores, sports columnist, cable TV sports dude caller, in studio guest (often sports), gambling sports columnist call-in, scores, and then Twins, all the while Artie would try to wedge in some fun while Rick barreled on through HARD BREAKS. They would have 3 or 4 indistinguishable sport pundits call in IN A ROW. It only would loosen up towards the very end of the 3rd hour.

It was tough going through the show and a real pleasant surprise when they'd let Artie go on for a while (usually when a good non-sports guest was in). To me things have turned around completely since Rick got dumped, from something like an 85-90% sports show to a 10-30% sports show.

As to casting, Artie's kind of following the Stern pattern in a way -- make do with what you have. (That's how a nothing like Flaflafloley ended up with so much air time.) Budget I think is a big part of it, but anchoring Twins and Bocchetti to his feet makes it quite the uphill swim for old Arthur.

Anyway, you didn't answer my question -- do I have the right idea that the sports, because of its ephemeral nature (even if the segments were funny which they never are), really limits the freshness of the show for any repeated viewings?

(Don't remember Henley but agreed about Jones.)

4. Undercarriage

Undercarriage Active Member

Reputations:
    I would imagine. I have 0 interest in sports talk much less re-runs. And I love sports.

I've seen people post about how great the show was in the old studio and was just wondering the difference between the show now and then.

5. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    To me the major change happened when Rick left, NOT when they went to DirecTV. The old studio was cozier / scuzzier for sure, but the format was mostly the same as I described. (The twins were added at the old studio. I notice Artie has since dropped the always awkward "twinsanity" name Rick was so proud of creating, and repeating, and repeating.)

The major difference on DirecTV was the addition of the musical guests, to make room for which they trimmed down to 2 sequential sports blogger call-ins instead of their customary 4. That and the camera mugging and bits, most of which I've missed because I only do the podcast. (I just noticed there are a bunch with Brock and Bocchetti on the youtubes.)

I think "how great the show was at the old studio" only comes from the 1 or two big Rick fans around here.

6. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    I much prefer the sports to endless interviews with almost every guest he has had on (seldom does he have a known guest and almost never a talented one). Ill take brian jones talking abiut the bucs secondary over hal sparks tqlking about the injustice of america, arties middle school teacher, every band thats been on, or sue costello begging for money. Also, the show seems to be barely staying on air; syndication is a distant thought.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  7. Peau de Soie

Reputations:

Okay, thanks. But what do you think about the LONGEVITY of the shows that have more sports content? That was my point.

8. fatstuff

fatstuff New Member

Reputations:
    Henley was the guy who talks fast w/ a southern accent and his brothers played football.

Personally, I don't need to hear Artie talking about guys running around chasing balls.

I think quite a few of the listeners like the sports and that's fine. I just think the show would be better off with some kind of alternative take on it and avoid the usual jabbering on about stats, etc.

You're dead right about the sports aspect reducing the appetite for repeat viewings, but with such a long show I think its more likely that "best of" packages would be the go.
    They already could put together several different specific ones if they wanted to.

9. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    Just to add background to this, I'm pretty sure the sports element was necessary early on to sell the show to affiliates (pre-DirecTV). Almost all of those early N&A affiliates were independent, AM sports talk stations. Now that they've almost all been bought out by CBS anyway, and the show is geared towards TV, I don't know why they don't just drop the sports format altogether and do a straight comedy show.

10. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:

11. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    In a perfect world, the show would be filled with quality content and wouldn't need to do sports. Unless it's late 70s baseball, artie is totally lost on the subject renderi ng it a waste of time. If you want sports tqlk, plenty of better placew to go. It seems like it used to be peppered In throughout the show in a comedic manner (during the "rick reign""while it seems to be long, completely srrious segments of sports talk now.

12. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Hey we finally agree on something! :)

As much as I disliked it, the sports talk used to be a hell of a lot more "organic" than it is now. These days it's like an unexpected big chunk of fat in the steak and you never know when you'll bite into it or how long it will take to chew through it.

13. Wigster

Wigster Member

Reputations:
    I do tend to agree. I had a lot of the older shows saved, because I loved the earlier days when they were in that little closet ripping on Dan Felato. The first 10 minutes of the show is always great, they're able to riff on current events and Artie goes back and forth with Bocchetti, but then they have on some guy from a sports book to talk about lines and I zone out completely. Same thing with a majority of the musical acts. Just let Artie be Artie :(

To be fair, a handful of the musical guests have been fantastic but they stand out far and above the rest of the sophomoric sounding garage bands.

14. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Ken Kohl's gonna do what Ken Kohl's gonna do. :(

15. HorseVsPelican

HorseVsPelican Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They need to take more calls. Back then all kinds of crazy characters were calling in. Now Artie rips Bochetti too much. I feel bad for him. You can tell they're laughing at him and not with him and he has low self-esteem.

16. Wigster

Wigster Member

Reputations:
    I miss Gonzo.

17. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    I lost pity for Mike this week when I realized just what a phony lazy user he is (most noticeably with his seriously ill mother).

18. fatstuff

fatstuff New Member

Reputations:
    People are really bagging Mike all of a sudden. I always liked him on the show, but for the same reason I liked him (goofiness, etc.) I never expected him to be citizen of the year.
    I just think he's overexposed lately is all. He's actually ruined a few bits by jumping in.
    I'm sure he slings some $ around at home and exaggerates his laziness for comedic effect. He does seem to always change his story to suit whatever he thinks will be perceived as funny.

Now, buying a watch is just sheer stupidity. (Unless there's some reason like you collect them or don't have a phone).
    Buying watches for other people who don't need them is "eccentric" I'll kindly say.
    Defending the twins is hard to comprehend.

19. DBo

DBo New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    You're completely right. This was actually something really frustrating for Ferrall.

20. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    there isnt any resale value anyways.