News 'Star Wars' Movies Finally Available for Digital Download Beginning Friday

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Tranquil, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    AmishGirl and Mike Huntslooce like this.
  2. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Will Han Solo murder a guy in a bar in this one?

3. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    The nerds out there have done some pretty good restorations of the originals using various sources, they're not hard to find.

Tranquil and DarkFriday like this.
  4. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

I don't think so, because Han Solo's gun was replaced by a digital walkie-talkie like in E.T. :facepalm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    And only 89.95 for the set. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Tranquil and Donkeyboy2190 like this.
  6. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Man they are wringing every nickle out of that series they can, perhaps there are too many Jews in Hollywood as John suspected

Mike Huntslooce likes this.
  7. BatmiteReturns

BatmiteReturns Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Now that Disney owns Lucasfilm perhaps they will give us the original trilogy in the unaltered form?

AmishGirl likes this.
  8. BatmiteReturns

Reputations:
    Is this a real picture? It's pretty funny if so.

9. Tranquil

Reputations:
    That's why I was excited to read this news headline today, until I read the article.

It's like they have some strange aversion to the original trilogy, that or somehow they think this can make them more money, by not selling a product that people want.

10. BatmiteReturns

Reputations:
    Lucas has insisted that the original prints just do not exist. Again, with fan edits (check out originaltrilogy.com) you can get a pretty good picture considering the original versions were released on Laser disc.

Tranquil likes this.
  11. Tranquil

Reputations:
    I'll take a look, thanks

12. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    BatmiteReturns likes this.
  13. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Anyone else feel the new Star Wars will be horrible?

NyMarkNy and x76 like this.
  14. Gretsch Man

Gretsch Man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you watch "People vs. George Lucas," I believe they reported there are no originals anymore. Supposedly Lucas had them destroyed.

15. Gretsch Man

Reputations:
    They can't be worse than the last three.

Samurai and x76 like this.
  16. Tranquil

Reputations:
    I suspect it will be just a pure CGI, action filled crapfest, with a weak story line. But I'm hoping they do a good job.

17. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think they could be though

18. Gretsch Man

Reputations:
    That's pretty bad.

19. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    :winner:

20. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The Harmy Despecialized versions are the way to go for the first two. Make sure you get 2.5 for SW and 2.0 for ESB. He hasn't updated his Jedi yet. It was good, but not great. He made major advancements when he redid the first 2. However, these aren't exactly the original versions. They are recreations made to emulated the original versions. The base is the official blu-ray releases and then through digital alterations and color correction, he makes them look like their original form. Sometimes he uses footage (sometimes just on parts of the screen) from other sources, sometimes he creates mattes from stills of film prints and various other trickeries. He does an amazing job and the work he has done to the first two is pretty seamless. Pretty much gives you the original versions in HD.

If you want the actual original versions, they were released as bonus DVDs in 2006 releases of the crap versions. You can grab the full-screen or widescreen editions, the bonus DVDs are letterbox widescreen in both. I think these are out of print now. They are pretty low quality, though. It's the digital master used for the last laserdisc release. A lot of early DVD releases were sourced from laserdisc masters, but still looked way better than these. These are letterboxed instead of anamorphic, so you have use zoom on your 16:9 TVs and just generally look pretty crappy. However, I have never seen one of the laserdisc transfer projects produce something which looks better. So far this is as good as it gets for the actual original versions.

George at one time said he cut up the original negs when they created the special editions. Even if that's true, I don't believe he didn't first scan them in HD like the rest of the film. And there's basically proof that he did just that. The above mentioned DVD release… the laserdisc master had the Episode IV title at the beg of SW, but since they were advertising this bonus DVD as the original theatrical version, they replaced that with the original crawl not having "Episode IV". It's clearly from a high quality film source. Also, there have been high quality anamorphic film clips of non-Special Edition footage shown in DVD & TV documentaries. Where did that come from? I guarantee George has the original versions of the films scanned into HD if not still having the actual film. Maybe they need some work or editing back together, but I'm sure a blu-ray release of the original versions is still very possible.

At least Spielberg admitted it was wrong to digitally alter E.T. and has released the original on DVD and blu-ray. George is a baby and a dick. We don't like your shitty reworkings, fuckface. They are awful. Your young self knew what he was doing. Your old, rat-face, toad-looking self doesn't know shit about good movie making.

I think one of the major things stopping Disney from releasing them is that George wouldn't have handed over his unaltered prints or scans. They have nothing to work with and so it would be a big undertaking and they aren't going to bother with that. Only way I see them releasing the originals is if George had already prepared them and turned them over in their deal. I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. Only chance then is if Disney tracks down real nice theatrical prints and does some major restoration. I think they are too focussed on moving the franchise forward to bother with big projects involving the original movies. Hope I'm wrong, though. Or maybe George will realize what a dick he's been to the people who made him a filthy rich pig and will now work with Disney to put out the versions the fans want. And then Howard will clean all the piss off of us and start doing a funny radio show.

morrissey, Mr Pink, cwok and 4 others like this.