Starting To Plan This Coming Summers 2016 Trip To NY And Bean Town, Need Advice!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Dec 26, 2015.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    This July we will fly into JFK and stay near Grand Central, we want to see the basics like the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and the WTC. What's the best way to get around without getting killed or robbed?

Any other must see's?

Then after 3 days, we would like to drive to Niagara and then Boston, but in Boston we mainly want to go for the seafood. Should we go first to Niagara Falls, then Boston? Or Boston first, then back down from upstate to JFK for the flight on to L.A.?

Thanks

RONNIE THE CLAW likes this.
  2. agnes

agnes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A lot more to see in Boston than just the seafood. The seafood isn't much different than NYC honestly

3. sparty89

sparty89 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would recommend Hanover Street in the North End of Boston. Very cool old neighborhood, with tons of great little Italian restaurants.

peace&love, XXXXX, Bye You! and 4 others like this.
  4. captbill

captbill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've been to both places. My recommendation is to not go.

Skipnoid likes this.
  5. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    PM me closer to date and I'll give you tons of little inside recommendations for NYC you won't get killed or robbed..:)

6. Shart Garfunkel

Shart Garfunkel I brought the magic suitcase Gold

Reputations:
    The Bronx is lovely at dusk.

7. McLennison

McLennison VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Statue of Liberty is a cool excursion. I'd see the Empire State Building instead. The WTC site is depressing. To go from NYC toi Buffalo to Boston is a t on of driving. Go Buffalo then east to Boston and south to NYC.

One of the best vacations we ever took was Niagara Falls and then Jamestown, NY to see the Lucy Museum. Highly recommended, especially if you're a Lucy fan:

Lucy's house she was born in
    [​IMG]

The house she grew up in
    [​IMG]

Her grave
    [​IMG]

8. RONNIE THE CLAW

RONNIE THE CLAW Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It's very safe here, if you don't act stupid and flash bank rolls of money.
    The 9/11 memorial is intense, not for everybody, but the new WTC is incredible.

When you're in town the usual hot spots are the museums: Metropolitan Museum of Art, Natural History. A secret to these museums is to pay whatever you want and not pay the suggested price. This is clearly posted for people to read. If you don't check out central park, don't even bother coming to NYC! The empire state building if you have never been there, is really the greatest panoramic view of the entire city. 30 Rockefeller Plaza has a roof garden you can go to also, but Rockefeller Center, the Atlas statue, St. Patrick's cathedral are all right next to each other. Radio City music hall has tours at different times and you go behind the stage, all over really, and it is unforgettable. The statue of liberty is one of the most historic landmarks here and you can see it from a variety of places. My favorite is on a ferry ride from Manhattan to Staten Island for the price of a token or metro card. Niagara Falls is awesome, but quite a distance from Boston...just saying. You'll love it all, guaranteed. Especially the pizza!

9. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

That's what I'm curious about, what's there to see? Aside from the obvious 1776 historical sites. I'm a west coaster, and I've never traveled the east coast before aside from a business trip to Pennsylvania in 2002.

As far as the food, my wife and I watch those Food Network shows like Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, we die watching those great looking restaurants that have bucket size clam bakes and lobster sandwiches there at Cape Cod. That's the kind of stuff we want to find.

10. RONNIE THE CLAW

RONNIE THE CLAW Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Fantastic film! Thanks for that. My wife and I went to the falls prior to 9/11 and we could walk over the bridge into Canada and see the falls from the Canadian side. Now they stopped that. I never knew Lucy was buried in her hometown.

SomerSky likes this.
  11. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

I don't want to sound stupid and naive, but like post people that have never been to NY, I only know what I've seen in movies and on the news. And most of it hasn't been pretty! :chair:

We will be staying here:

[​IMG]

From the map we could see that it's a stones throw from Grand Central. Are the subways safe for the most part? Should taxi's be avoided? Will it cost $100 for 4 to be driven to say, the WTC? Should buses be avoided?

While in the city for those 3 days, we'll be on foot, only after, we'll get a car at JFK to head out on the road trip.

12. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:
    Another question, I'm a photographer and I always take my big Nikon everywhere in a bag on my shoulder. Recommended or not? Should I stick to my little digital camera?

13. Pussy Tendon

Pussy Tendon Wet! CUNT!!!!! Gold

Reputations:
    Wtc is intense, no shit there.

Don't make eye contact. Scuzz all around.

14. SomerSky

Reputations:
    I use Uber or Lyft to get around...but mostly the train, so easy to use and most are just ONE train to your destination..if you are going somewhere not too far, taxi is easiest (at 2.50 per person for train, if you are going less than say, a mile, cheaper to taxi, would be less than $10.00)
    Grand central is the hub of most trains, will be very easy...in the terminal is Joes coffee the BEST cold brew ice coffee in the world highly recommend, also in GC is the Campbell Apartment kinda like a secret bar room with access only by this elevator just a super cool room to have a drink one night. There are also secret corners in GC where you can whisper in one side and someone standing clear across in the other side can hear you (near oyster bar)
    Ok that's just GC...

XXXXX likes this.
  15. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    @AnthonyCumia

Fatass and aquadog like this.
  16. SomerSky

Reputations:
    Take your camera and make gorgeous pictures... everyone does....

Shortwave98 likes this.
  17. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
  18. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

Being there for three days, we'll want to squeeze in as much stuff as possible, but primarily the most important attractions like Times Square, ST.Lib., Empire State, WTC, Rockefeller Sq, and the museums. My wife wants to see a show so she can say she's seen one. Where's the best place to get tix? At the hotel, or at the box offices? Aside form on line?

19. SomerSky

Reputations:
    and whatever you do, do NOT take a pedicab no matter how tired or cranky you are, they are a ridiculous rip off!

20. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hate living in the burbs.