Stephen Hawking Feels Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat To The Human Race

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Dec 3, 2014.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Stephen Hawking: Artificial intelligence could end human race
    [​IMG]
    By Tanya Lewis

Published December 03, 2014

[​IMG]
    Stephen Hawking recently began using a speech synthesizer system that uses artificial intelligence to predict words he might use. (Flickr/NASA HQ PHOTO.)

The eminent British physicist Stephen Hawking warns that the development of intelligent machines could pose a major threat to humanity.

"The development of full artificial intelligence (AI) could spell the end of the human race," Hawking told the BBC.

The famed scientist's warnings about AI came in response to a question about his new voice system. Hawking has a form of the progressive neurological disease called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease), and uses a voice synthesizer to communicate. Recently, he has been using a new system that employs artificial intelligence. Developed in part by the British company Swiftkey, the new system learns how Hawking thinks and suggests words he might want to use next, according to the BBC. [Super-Intelligent Machines: 7 Robotic Futures]

Humanity's biggest threat?

Fears about developing intelligent machines go back centuries. More recent pop culture is rife with depictions of machines taking over, from the computer HAL in Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" to Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in "The Terminator" films.

Inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil, director of engineering at Google, refers to the point in time when machine intelligence surpasses human intelligence as "the singularity," which he predicts could come as early as 2045. Other experts say such a day is a long way off.

It's not the first time Hawking has warned about the potential dangers of artificial intelligence. In April, Hawking penned an op-ed for The Huffington Post with well-known physicists Max Tegmark and Frank Wilczek of MIT, and computer scientist Stuart Russell of the University of California, Berkeley, forecasting that the creation of AI will be "the biggest event in human history." Unfortunately, it may also be the last, the scientists wrote.

And they're not alone billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk called artificial intelligence "our biggest existential threat." The CEO of the spaceflight company SpaceX and the electric car company Tesla Motors told an audience at MIT that humanity needs to be "very careful" with AI, and he called for national and international oversight of the field.

It wasn't the first time Musk warned about AI's dangers. In August, he tweeted, "We need to be super careful with AI. Potentially more dangerous than nukes." In March, Musk, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and actor Ashton Kutcher jointly invested $40 million in an AI company that is working to create an artificial brain.

Overblown fears

But other experts disagree that AI will spell doom for humanity. Charlie Ortiz, head of AI at the Burlington, Massachusetts-based software company Nuance Communications, said the concerns are "way overblown."

"I don't see any reason to think that as machines become more intelligent which is not going to happen tomorrow they would want to destroy us or do harm," Ortiz told Live Science.

Fears about AI are based on the premise that as species become more intelligent, they have a tendency to be more controlling and more violent, Ortiz said. "I'd like to think the opposite. As we become more intelligent, as a race we become kinder and more peaceful and treat people better," he said.

Ortiz said the development of super-intelligent machines is still an important issue, but he doesn't think it's going to happen in the near future. "Lots of work needs to be done before computers are anywhere near that level," he said.

Copyright 2014 LiveScience, a TechMediaNetwork company

2. Maddysmom

Maddysmom Kunt Banned User

Reputations:
    Good then let that go kart with a brain lay in wicker basket and scribble his nonsense on a notepad......

3. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the thing I love most about hawking is that a gay dude could Roman Helmet him at will and there is nothing hawking could do to stop it

4. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why exactly is this guy considered to be so smart?

5. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    he can fart the solo to Stairway To Heaven

6. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    It's ironic that he is afraid of AI. It's so small minded to be afraid of different forms of consciousness i.e. AI.
    We live with different species and different forms of consciousness on a daily basis and they don't control us or are not the sources of violence. Your pet is a different form of consciousness. A teeny tiny microorganism may spell the end of the human race.
    But the singularity, is something we should welcome it's going to only make us better. I can't wait.
    This won't be the first time Hawkins has been wrong.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Dorb likes this.
  7. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
  8. Blur

Blur Alumnus

Reputations:
    If I can achieve Singularity with Amy Adams, I'm cool with it.

9. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    :lol:

10. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    Elon Musk thinks the same thing. he also says killer robots within next 5 years :c

http://www.bustle.com/articles/4956...-coming-by-2019-then-swiftly-deletes-the-post

11. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    Hey Elon I got ya fuckin gray goo, right ova heaaa... OHHH!

[​IMG]

12. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Blur likes this.
  13. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Clearly, this man isn't that bright.

:nojj:

14. monsoon

monsoon Who are you with?

Reputations:
    He also has said that we should not try to contact or interact with aliens.
    Their technology to get here would make them so advanced that there's a very good chance they would view us as insects..

I wish the guy was a stoner so he could do something useful like growing better weed.

F mutt

15. greenchiclets

greenchiclets Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :haha::haha::haha:

16. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

17. BarberFloyd

BarberFloyd God Bless DuPont Chemicals Banned User

Reputations:
    In the beginning, there was man. And for a time, it was good. But humanity's so-called civil societies soon fell victim to vanity and corruption. Then man made the machine in his own likeness. Thus did man become the architect of his own demise.

18. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Fuck that retard.....if he didn't use technology he wouldn't be on the new Pink Floyd CD.

19. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    "I don't see any reason to think that as machines become more intelligent which is not going to happen tomorrow they would want to destroy us or do harm," Ortiz told Live Science

i think this guy is being a bit naïve

i give it a 50/50 chance we're all gonna get fucked up by robots

Droog and GoshGeeGolly like this.
  20. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    That's another one of those movies that makes you wonder how shit like that get's greenlighted.....It's like Private Parts with a gimp.