Stephen King's ‘The Dark Tower' Casting Confirmed

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by eliasbboy, Mar 1, 2016.

1. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    Idris Elba and Matthew McConauhey confirmed for lead roles. The film is set to begin shooting in under two months in South Africa, with a January 13th, 2017 release date.

http://collider.com/matthew-mcconaughey-idris-elba-the-dark-tower-stephen-king/

One of the great untapped Stephen King properties is on its way to finally beginning production after years of false starts, dreamy rumors, and casting issues. The Dark Tower series, King’s famous story of a hero named The Gunslinger and his nemesis, The Man in Black, recently finally got a confirmed director in Nikolaj Arcel, who is best known for helming the Mads Mikkelsen-Alicia Vikander period drama A Royal Affair; he’s also co-penned the script for the film. And in a recent interview alongside King for EW, Arcel went on to confirm that the film will star none other than Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey in the coveted lead roles. Here’s what the writer-director had to say about both performers:

On Elba:

On McConaughey:

It’s been a long time since I personally picked up The Dark Tower series but Elba has been deserving of this sort of major franchise property for several years at this point; if Luther didn’t prove this, I don’t know what would. This, unfortunately, puts a likely damper on his chances of taking on the role of James Bond, a rumor that caused quite the kerfuffel late last year, around the time Spectre hit theaters. Regardless, if memory serves, Elba is the perfect choice for his role, and to see McConaughey in all-out villain mode is that rare treat that has been long overdue for a second helping. If you’ve been lucky enough to see William Friedkin‘s damn-near-perfect Killer Joe, you’ll know what I mean.

During the interview, King confirmed that the film will begin in the middle of the novel’s story, but will encompass the entire storyline that fans have come to love over the years. Meanwhile, Arcel mentioned that the film is set to begin shooting in under two months in South Africa, keeping eyes set on a January 13th, 2017 release date, which means we’re under a year away from seeing the finished product. It’s a tight deadline for release but Arcel seems to have his hands firmly around this thing. Speaking like a true fan, Arcel commented on why he thinks The Dark Tower is quintessential Stephen King, settling out many fears of this being a possible botch job:

2. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    I only read the first few chapters of the first book cuz I like when he goes and orders a burger

3. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Hors d'oeuvre Addict VIP

Reputations:
    McConaughey as Padick never would have crossed my mind.

4. hidden dragon

hidden dragon the princess of darkness Staff Member

Reputations:
    I want to see this even more. Idris Elba is a wonderful choice as Roland.

DarkFriday likes this.
  5. SaintJimmy

SaintJimmy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They have it backwards - Matthew should be Roland.

Dick Fitzwell, Snort and Diogenes like this.
  6. VarmintSam

VarmintSam Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    This makes me moist.

Lemmy likes this.
  7. Habsfan

Habsfan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would have seen Matthew as Roland just because I always pictured Roland white but Elba as a Roland is a nice twist...

hidden dragon likes this.
  8. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    #BlackGunslingersMatter

9. Danas Boyfrien

Danas Boyfrien Trump's African American Gold

Reputations:
    It's time we demand that Hollywood divests from South Africa. :fil:

10. Snort

Snort Something witty Gold

Reputations:
    Hmm... Stringer Bell is Roland? MM is awesome and will be great but.... Roland... I'm not sure this is the right move, but I hope it's a quarter as good as the books.

11. Dream Theater

Dream Theater DAWGS E-BULLY Squad Gold

Reputations:
  12. redshirt

redshirt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hmm, I think Elba's awesome, and I don't mind the casting, even though I always pictured Roland like Clint Eastwood circa his late 40's. Will require a lot of rewriting of the Detta/Roland scenes since she calls him a honkey motherfucker a few hundred times iirc, and doesn't trust him in large part because he's white.

Charon likes this.
  13. Nikkerz

Nikkerz VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He has a hand in every movie made adapted from his books. If he doesn't like something, it gets tossed. So, it should follow the book as best as possible in the most likely 2 hour timeframe they have for the movie.

14. Dream Theater

Reputations:
    Yeah that is the way I pictured Roland when reading the books too. Don't get me wrong, this is not meant to incite racist comments but why do they have to put a black guy as a character that was CLEARLY written as a white guy? Fucking hate that shit. Stay as true to story as possible. I may not watch this now.
    My initial reaction was to the thread title without having read the body of the first post, now that I went back and read the whole post about who is being cast I am not as enthused.

Snort likes this.
  15. redshirt

redshirt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I first thought MM was going to be Roland, which would have been good since Roland is kind of similar to the guy he played in True Detective, and they mention Roland's bombardier blue eyes. Guess we'll see, my initial thought is skeptical, but I've waited since I was a teenager for the series to finish, which I finally got, so anything else is gravy. Saw this elsewhere, but it'd be incredible if at the beginning when Roland is chasing the man in black across the desert they pan to his waist and he has the Horn of Eld, which for book readers would be huge.

Snort, Charon and Dream Theater like this.
  16. Dream Theater

Reputations:
    Yeah Matthew would have made a great Roland. He is gritty enough to pull it off.

redshirt likes this.
  17. Charon

Charon Soulless VIP

Reputations:
    I agree with redshirt

18. The Bloody Nine

The Bloody Nine VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Roland is supposed to look exactly like Clint Eastwood. But it's the future and we have to make sure people don't get upset.

Dream Theater likes this.
  19. Snort

Reputations:
    Idk....most of the movies have sucked in the past. And have been much different than the books.

Dream Theater likes this.
  20. Snort

Reputations:
    Then King would have to come up with a new ending.