Stern Alternatives Volume 1: Carolla

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Peau de Soie, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Just my personal experience looking at alternatives to fill my commuting void. I stopped listening to the Stern show as of the abysmal 3/7/12 episode.

Many Dawg Saloon members recommended Adam Carolla's podcast (and "network") as a reliable source of comedy audio. I've listened to 2 1/2 shows so far. My observations follow.

PROS

1. Professional web site, updated with full episode summaries AND credits AND photos on a timely basis. (Contrast with the 1992 mess that is the Stern site.)

2. Readily and legally downloadable via direct MP3 links or RSS/podcast/iTunes.

3. Minimal commercials (bumpered at the beginning and end of the show, at first they seem more intrusive than they are).

4. Adam is moderately entertaining, mostly candid, and not afraid to bite the hands that feed him.

5. The news person is okay.

6. Guests stay through the news, and seem pretty good at it too.

7. I smiled several times, and maybe laughed once.

CONS

1. The "sound effects" guy is TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE. Should be fired immediately. Nothing ever comes up "organically", the effects are too loud, they're poorly chosen, they're not funny, and they're late. As lazy as Fred Norris has become lately, the awfulness of this "sound effects" guy really makes you appreciate what a pro Fred is.

2. The direct download links are all named just "2012", which makes it a pain when you want to download multiple episodes.

3. The female newsreader and her intro song are unfunny and too reminiscent of the better-forgotten Quivers.

4. I barely laughed once.

I would contrast this to the episode of the Colbert Report I watched when I got home, which had such funny moments it had me nearly spouting snot through my nose. Those writers WRITE, god damn it. Brilliant.

VERDICT

Serviceable.

2. flailingfish

flailingfish New Member

Reputations:
    I think you just about got it. It's good for a listen once maybe twice a week. Fast Forward comes in handy.

3. McButterPants

McButterPants New Member

Reputations:
    I agree it's okay for an occasional listen. I mostly look for who the guest is and if it's someone I'm interested in I'll download and skip to that.

4. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:
    It has grown on me to the point where I listen 2-3 shows a week, although I dont like the live with audience shows.

5. Greekfreak

Greekfreak New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I've downloaded some episodes of Carolla's show--he's a better interviewer than Marbles, but his radio voice is atrocious. Consequently, I also fast forward to interviews. Some funny stuff, but then some funny is better than none.

6. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    i think his interaction with guests are great. they are usually guests i haven't heard of or obscure personalities that turn out to be pretty interesting.

7. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    Adam Carolla sucks I hope he dies

8. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Adam's podcast is good if the guest is decent and it would be better if he got rid of the sound effects guy. I subscribe on iTunes but don't listen to it regularly.

9. Old Broad

Old Broad New Member

Reputations:
    Adam's sound effects guy is a brain tumor survivor who is now in remission. I think Adam had a benefit for him a couple of years ago. Adam is loyal to his people.

10. Hstreet13

Hstreet13 Member

Reputations:
    The guest makes the show for me.

11. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    That's good I guess. The guy isn't bad when he speaks on air, he just really sucks at the "sound effects" role.

Yeah, that can be the problem. It's the same reason I can only listen to Maron WTFs with guests I recognize.

You need the magical gab-o-gift that Stern used to possess (or a team of writers) to make a show entertaining on a regular basis.

12. weenuk

weenuk Active Member

Reputations:
    Totally agree. Plus they don't act like they're above everyone else like Howard and Robin do.

13. mpa

mpa Active Member

Reputations:
    Today's episode was funnier than anything I've heard from stern in years, haven't listened in about a year or so.

14. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Corolla sucks too. A few funny jokes for hours of dribble.