Stern Alternatives Volume 2: Podcasts Podcasts Podcasts

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Peau de Soie, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    See also http://www.dawgsaloon.com/showthread.php/16679-Stern-Alternatives-Volume-1-Carolla

Hi everyone. True to my prediction I've slowed down my visits here coinciding with my becoming an ex-Stern-listener. (30 years and OUT, baby. I don't miss it; all I remember now is patiently, patiently waiting through unfunny shows hoping for a nugget of humor.)

Expanding on my Carolla dalliance, I FINALLY went and started using an actual podcast client, instead of painstakingly downloading individual episodes one by one via web browser.

It's been somewhat a revelation, and I feel a bit stupid for not having done so earlier.

Even on my crappy phone (BlackBerry, ugh) the new podcast client is pretty nice. After futzing with the awful RIM technology and an OS upgrade, it took me an hour or so to get 18-20 subscriptions set up.

And it's so easy now! I can pick and choose recent episodes to download based on their descriptions, and new episodes are downloaded automatically to the phone, only while on WiFi.

Instead of missing regular radio shows in bits and pieces, I can stop and start them at my leisure, and the new BB media player finally remembers its place on multiple files.

I've got my set of tech shows, radio shows, and assorted podcasts, giving me 20-30 hours per week of audio, and my commuting needs are satisfied. Duh -- this is the way to consume media.

Random observations:

1. Carolla still needs to fire his "sound effects" guy; he has no sense of rhythm or place, a crappy audio library, and poor skills. They also really need an audio engineer, because the sound levels among hosts, guests, callers, and clips are all OVER the place. I don't understand where his nasal NY accent came from, since he grew up in CA. Show is still a solid C+, moderately entertaining.

2. Larry Miller is surprising, only because his laid back Jean Shepherd vibe is so unexpected; I always considered him, as a comic and actor, to be a sarcastic, mean smartass, and instead he comes across as sweet storyteller desperate to entertain in an exceedingly slow fashion. NOT for everyone. He should also cut down on his signature drinking -- he was just on TMZ after falling down drunk.

3. Judge John Hodgman is a kind of stupid premise, but he carries it off, more or less.

4. I finally gave in and listened to Mick and Hearty, and I'm glad. Artie is every bit his old radio self, always working on getting in a funny quip. Nick, meanwhile, comes off even more useless than I suspected -- in the first two hours I've heard he hasn't even TRIED to be funny. He is very much acting the straight man host (and without any humor or self reflection). I guess Artie really did find another Stern who just sits back and lets him riff. I love Artie, and I'm pretty sure he's doomed to another terrible episode based on what I read here, but I think I've come to terms with it. I'll just take the humor he offers and try not to get emotionally attached to him as an endearing and tragic person. (Hey, you're welcome, Art, I know how much you care what I think.)

5. Kevin Pollak really needs to get away from that sleaze Calacanis and get a tech company that knows what it's doing. Just finding a decent feed for his show was ridiculously difficult.

6. Unless you succumb to iTunes, podcasting setup is still a little too hard for non-techies in my opinion. Just finding the right RSS feed is often a challenge. (The BlackBerry client actually calls on a Google search with "filetype:xml OR filetype:rss" arguments, and this almost uniformly FAILED to find anything correctly for all the major podcasts I checked. They have a directory too but many of its feeds are wrong.)

7. Nobody's as funny as the Stern show 1986-2006. Nobody. Yet somehow I'm kind of okay with that now.

Hope all goes well with the Dawg Salooners...

2. Jim J Jiblets

Jim J Jiblets #Hillary'sTongue

Reputations:
    On Cinema (for movie buffs)

3. setai

setai Member

Reputations:
    Carolla wont fire his sound effects guy because he's a longtime friend and Bald Bryan had treatment for an inoperable brain tumor last year (he is still uncured). Poor guy just got married too. Carolla's loyal like that, he was a wreck over it.

4. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Yeah, somebody mentioned that, and it's sad indeed, but maybe he could give him a different job, in front or behind the scenes. The guy's actually pretty good speaking on air, it's just his "sound effects" skills that suck viral donkey wang.

5. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    I listened to Carolla's podcast when Bryan Cranston was on. It was awful. The sound effects were terrible, but what's worse is that it's divided into several segments/games (each with its own shitty, unfunny sounder) and there was an ad worked in every ten minutes.

It felt like Adam Carolla's Joke Hunt.

I also tried listening to Kevin Smith's podcast, but it's just him telling boring stories as his asshead wife tries to hijack the conversation. And I was a big fan of Rogan's podcast for a while, but between EVERY show being about how we need to legalize weed and Brian Redban's douchey man-child bullshit, I can't get though a show anymore. Not to mention that the first ten minutes of each podcast are commercials.

I'm starting to lose hope for podcasting. I think there's so much potential, but it's not being used. Here are a few I still listen to (I also listen to some horror movie podcasts, but that's just because I'm a nerd)

The Skeptic's Guide 5x5
    Skeptoid
    Useless Information Podcast
    BBC Global News
    Tekzilla
    The Lew Rockwell Show
    Nick and Artie
    The Thomas Jefferson Hour
    For Good Reason

6. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    I laughed more at Ricky Gervais's radio show/podcasts than I have at Howard's show in years. Carl Pilkington is the man! Sort of like a British Gene Lasker. The animated HBO show of the podcast is great as well.

7. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Thanks, harlock. I thought he was "tainted" because he still charged for his podcast, but it looks like most of it is now free and the right feed is http://podcast.rickygervais.com/podcast.xml

Edit: Nope, a lot of it is bullshit previews/promos for his audiobooks. :(

Edit2: I was wrong again; it seems that ALL of it is bullshit previews/promos for his audiobooks and other projects.

harlock, I assume you pay for a different feed that has actual content?

Or is there some kind of Apple-exclusive nonsense going on?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  8. PappYawn

PappYawn Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Handel on the law.

9. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Greg Proops "Smartest Man In The World": variable. One show was pretty good, another was pretty boring. It seems like he's trying to produce essentially a new standup show each week, which is crazy.

I haven't even gotten to 2/3 of my feeds, let alone all the episodes in them. This is just great. Instead of painstakingly stretching 2 or 3 days of Stern over 2-3 weeks (to try to cover the vacation gaps) I have more good stuff than I know what to do with!

10. King Chris

King Chris Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jim and Eddie Talk Shit is very funny. Lots of ball busting. Jim Jefferies is one of the funniest and quickest guys out there.
    Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast is great.
    Joe Rogan's podcast is good in a stoner way.
    Beauty and the Beast is funny with Joey Diaz and Felicia Micheals.
    The Jerky Boys podcast is fun if you are a fan.
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is fantastic.
    WTF wtih Marc Maron has the best comedy interviews
    Radiolab
    This American Life
    Car Talk
    Savage Love sex podcast
    Mohr Stories with Jay Mohr is funny
    Freaknomics
    The Champs with Neal Brennan is good
    Ari Shafir's skeptic tank is interesting. He interviews odd people and is a funny guy.

There is no reason to waste you time listening to the shitty Stern Show anymore with all these podcasts out there now. Howard has more competition than ever, yet is doing the worst work of his career.

11. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Coast to Coast...they had a great show about this guy who wrote a book about people just disappearing without a trace from the National Parks, and the parks won't report it..his book is Missing 411. Way creepy.
    No more camping for me!

12. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly New Member

Reputations:

What Kevin Smith one? the smodcast is him and Scott Mosier, his wife isn't on there and that's the one you should be listening to.
    If you are into the whole KS universe then check out Tell Em Steve Dave with all the other guys.

I can only listen to Nick and Artie for like 20 min tops, it's boring and I hate sports, even when they aren't talking about sports it's not funny.

13. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like Rogan's the best and there are a number of other good ones associated with his show.

The Duncan Trussell Family Hour
    The Ice House Chronicles
    The Bone Zone

To name a few...

14. Ice Hole

Ice Hole Active Member

Reputations:
    I like Bald Bryan, too. He's not as good as Fred with the sound effects, but a lot better than most. He also calls out Adam on shit, too.

15. McButterPants

McButterPants New Member

Reputations:
    A lot of stuff here I haven't heard of. I'll try to check out some of it.

I've been giving Rogan a chance lately. Going through his past shows and grabbing some with guests I'm familiar with. It can be really funny and entertaining...and just interesting to hear some of the conversations and where they go. Also there was one that was like real bad stoner talk that went nowhere, that was hard to listen to...so I guess that happens sometimes too. But it's becoming one of my favorite alternatives.

16. TriumphVodka

TriumphVodka New Member

Reputations:
    I find myself listening to alot of stuff on twit.tv leo laporte's tech channels.

I find Sarah Lane's voice soothing for some reason :dontknow: maybe it's the brain worm she had. :p

I'm no math wiz but if you look at it like a equation:

X=years listening to H
    plus
    Y= type of radio H got us used to listening to

then how could anything come close to being equal to x+y??

you pretty much have to settle and find the nugget in every sub par podcast out there. I like rogan and sometimes he or his cohost or guest annoy the shit outta me same with many others corolla, penn, fitzgibbons et al.

I listen, fast forward when possible, or zone out when they get boring or annoying.

fuck it lets do it live!

17. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Flick and Marty comes pretty close, Triumph, if we could just do away with Rick and the pointless sports focus.

It really makes it harder to listen to, and noticeably slows Artie down. But he's still the closest thing to reliable comedy I've got. I've got 3 or 4 TWiT feeds too of course, though none with Sarah. . Nerds Assemble.

18. twitchz28

twitchz28 Member

Reputations:
    I have to recommend The Kidd Chris Show. Download his show from March 14th. He had Gina Lynn on, and he's "the other radio show" Howard mentioned that got her husband on the phone talking about the different athletes she's banged and all. Not saying he's a better interviewer by any means, but i definitely get more laughs out of his show nowadays.

19. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Oh, I forgot to mention, if any other suckers are stuck with BlackBerries like me, do NOT allow the very latest podcasting client "update" -- the ONLY change it makes is REMOVING the (mediocre but usable) podcast directory! Luckily I read the upgrade notice first.

rilagent, thanks, gPodder looks good. I've evaluated podcast clients over time and could never really fall in like with one.

20. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Just want to update this to say, after further listening, that (a) Trick and Party is the best comedy show available, if you can ignore the sports and the never-funny guy sitting next to Artie. Artie's on fi-yuh. For some reason the last 15 minutes usually have the best riffs. (1 AM chicken parm coma might have something to do with it.)

And (b) Penn's Sunday School is pretty good. Despite its name and show titles any atheist content is actually tiny -- it's mostly just Penn telling entertaining stories. He comes off quite well; I never really listened to his old radio show. They should probably rename this.