Stern cited in John Stossel short report on getting a gun permit in NYC

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SouthernListen, Jan 24, 2014.

1. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;kXyAo2djZ-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXyAo2djZ-Q[/video]

actual mention is at 4:42 but the entire thing is amusing. Classic.

2. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    Keep voting D and this is what you end up with.

3. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    Couldn't pay me to live there.

4. SuperFarts

SuperFarts Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm gonna call the New York tip line: 1-855-GUNSNYS

How is Howard Stern allowed to have a gun?

He has admitted that hes "crazy". He sees a psychiatrist 3 to 5 times a week. He has threatened to kill people (numerous times). He has threatened to kill himself (numerous times).

And these are just some of the documented issues. If anyone else had similar criteria, they would probably be subject to having their home SWAT teamed and guns confiscated.

5. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    It would be hilarious if his "fans" managed to get his gun taken away.

6. Chief2Kick

Chief2Kick I'm all sixes & sevens & nines Staff Member

Reputations:
    They get the guberment they deserve. I'd take it one step further than "shall issue" Why do I need their permission to begin with?

7. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Howard is getting sick of the high taxes and probably plans to retire in Florida with no State Income Tax. Unfortunately, after idiots like him have turned their State into shit, they bring their shitty voting record into a formally good State.

8. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Not necessarily! I offer Michael Bloomberg who can't make up his mind wtf he is... :facepalm:

:jj:

9. nicksgt

nicksgt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i have a sincere question for those of you that are far smarter than i

how is that local municipalities are able to override the constitution when it comes to issues like this...in a sense why is a city allowed to have more stringent laws than the federal government when it comes to things specifically laid out in the bill of rights? i think its the 10th amendment (too lazy to google) that says laws not specifically mentioned int he constitution are left to the states, but if they are mentioned, why does the city/state get to ignore that?

10. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    I think we all know what Michael Bloomberg is.

[​IMG]

11. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    The 10th amendment gives the states the right to enact their own laws. It was written to keep the federal government from being too powerful. Each state is allowed to regulate the laws and even the constitution to a degree, as they see fit. California argues that a person can still own a gun, just the type they see as safe for the common good of their people. Thereby essentially still giving the people of CA the "right to keep and bear arms".

ETA: Also, each states own constitution may or may not allow a city to regulate guns within that city. WA is different than NY, for example.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  12. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    This just in-- criminals don't give a fuck if carrying a gun is legal or not

13. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Didn't he kind of become a temp Republican to ride in on the Guidolani goodwill?

14. Doctor Remulak

Doctor Remulak Member

Reputations:
    "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." If you are allowed to own but not carry (bear), how is this constitutional? In NY they are making citizens prove they have an extreme need to be allowed to carry or bear arms. You dont have to prove anything, its is a constitutional right to bear arms. Seriously, how has this state law not been challenged and thrown out by the Supreme Court?

15. VAsiCkBoy

VAsiCkBoy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You can get your concealed carry certificate online here without having ever fired a shot. You just watch this asinine video and answer the idiotic questions afterwards.
    Print out your "certificate", carry it down to city hall, apply for your license and BOOM...you have a concealed carry permit. it's actually scary how easy it is to get.

16. fuzzynuts

fuzzynuts 99% Relevant

Reputations:
    It has been challenged. But the Supreme Court refuses to hear the case.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ict-gun-carry-licensing-law-article-1.1317294

17. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    They say that is what happened in Colorado. Lots of Californians fleeing taxation and job losses there moved to the next best Western state in terms of climate and such.

I listened to a financial podcast where a friend of the host (his best friend actually) decided to uproot his entire business and move it to Texas, because it just galled him to pay more in taxes than he got to keep for himself. The wealthy can create a new life wherever they choose.

When I lived in South Florida (essentially a suburb of NYC ) the people there would almost always tell you they moved to Florida because of crime, racial problems, taxes, and cost of living back home. Then in the next breath they would tell you how great it was and that people in Florida should learn from them how to run things. The thing that always amused me was how used they were to living cramped in that driving over a few miles to a store or restaurant was considered outrageous. So every chain of restaurants and stores was replicated every 5 miles or so down the coast. These are the people that want you to drive a 40mpg minicar and live stacked in apartments or on .1 acre lots. Because they rarely break 40mph or have trips more than 5 minutes. They also were past child-raising years or didn't have kids. So driving a compact should be no problem, they assume. Compared to the concrete jungle they came from, that's spacious living.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  18. SouthernListen

Reputations:
  19. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Kind of a Rockefeller Republican, it sounds like. Probably anyone with "R" beside his name could have been elected after Giulliani. The religious right types that seem to dominate the party today were formerly democrats prior to the 80's. That block got enough traction to force prospective candidates to fall in line on social issues. Bloomberg is a more classic Republican. He's for big anything that reflects well on him and helps he and his buddies stay fat and happy. He's not particularly "for" anything that doesn't impact that agenda, but he will certainly go along if it means votes. This type of Republican, of which there are many, is very status-quo, which makes them dangerous. Because the vector we're on is a bad one. I'd guess at least 2/3 of each party's members are more pro "what we have now" than any actual issue, and would vote for a Martian invasion if it got them reelected.

20. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Stossel touched on it. The courts overturn these bans but then leave language such as "reasonable requirements" vague so that like in this example, they can toss enough roadblocks your way to effectively ban guns for the masses. They basically turn your constitutional rights over to a bunch of political bureaucrats with favors to sell. You have influence and donate? You "need" a handgun. You're Joe Nobody? Fuck you, wait 5 hours here then fill this form out. Then come back after we reject that.

Keep in mind the federal court system is regional based, so I assume the courts that see the cases first would be stacked with political appointee judges that tend to agree with the ban. For the same reason the south would have a few more friends on the court seeing gun rights as ok. Only when it moves up the chain to the Supreme court would things get reversed, but that never happens for other reasons.

They have been walking over the 10th amendment for decades. Both sides. It doesn't suit their purposes to have strong state governments and a federal government with constitutionally limited powers. If you're a Senator from Alabama or Illinois, why the hell would you want that? You want MORE POWER so you can sell more influence and "win" the game of life. So a federal system tends to grab more power for itself unless stopped by citizens and states who object. But with generous bennies offered to those who vote their way (more defense spending, more entitlements, etc) the people and states are bribed into going along.

The constitution was pretty brilliant for its time, but those who want to can eventually subvert just about anything. It's like people learning how to rip people off online. If the defenses don't keep up with the offense, you lose. When they created a federal reserve bank that can created money from thin air, and significant income taxes, this gave them the large piggy bank required to buy votes and send the nation down that path.

It's over Johnny! Over!