stern destroyed radio, sirius, content & competitiveness!

Discussion in 'Hoochie Bin' started by tired, Dec 11, 2015.

1. tired

tired Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    let me try to explain. there was once a very vibrant radio industry that many broadcasters thrive in. then came stern like a locust and syndicated his show. this led to many local players being run out. then came the monopoly of the show by westwood and the others that further shutdown the competition.

then came sat radio sirius and xm, true sirius was nothing compared to xm before howard showed up, but that wasn't enough then came the merger that stern said he was backing for the good of the 2 companies not some financial motivattion.

of course the merger led to hundreds of broadcasters losing their jobs and sirius becoming a monopoly in the sat radio business and the direct drop in wages of many former broadcasters that made a living wage that of course now with only one horse in the race hadno choice but to fade away or work for the starvation wages that sirius seemingly pays all its employees except stern.

this fucking guy should not be celebrated by anyone. he is the definition of a locust in human form.

2. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Oh noes!

3. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He looks more like a Praying Mantis.

[​IMG]

4. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You've raised a good point and something that is never discussed or was ever thought of for the long term in the 1980's as all these plans were being put into place for the 90's.

In the end, this was a money move for Howard (and Buchwald) that only led to Howard benefiting and no one else. I do think you're right that Howard ruined all of radio for everyone else, almost like Howard is the fucking Wal Mart of radio, killing all of the mom and pops operations around the country. Make no mistake - music tanking hard as the 2000's were starting had a great deal to do with this as well, but again, you've raised a great point and one that should be discussed here.

5. Buster Himan

Buster Himan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Digital killed music radio.
    Howard didn't kill radio any more than Breaking Bad killed network TV.

6. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard thinks he needs to lose 25 lbs here.

7. Graveyard

Graveyard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Let's not forget that XM was throwing away millions of dollars on bullshit like Oprah. Neither company was making smart business decisions.

8. Mojopin

Mojopin Resplendent in his frock VIP

Reputations:
    Howard caused 9/11

9. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think it's a matter of perception.

Many of us were sold the benefits of satellite radio and have slowly come around to realizing that there's actually very little difference between satellite and local radio. We were the early adopters. Currently new car buyers are getting roped into satellite subscriptions by car dealers touting it as an upgrade. Once the bill's start coming in, many will arrive at the same conclusion I have.

I just moved back to the States and I was pleasantly surprised that rock stations have returned to the FM dial in my absence and I like the variety and mix available to me. I've cut the cord on cable TV and it's just as easy going back to free airwaves.

It comes down to your attitude and outlook.

10. Abner Devereaux

Abner Devereaux Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    interesting perspective...

11. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    You're partially right. But terrestrial radio was already headed downhill before Howie jumped to Sirius. AM radio was in a death spiral in the 80s until Limbaugh came along and made bombastic talk radio popular outside of big cities. And FM was already being eroded by the Internet and all kinds of new devices like Mp3 players etc. Services like Pandora were another nail.

Clear Channel overpaid for a lot of properties before the industry fell off a cliff and was forced to cut back on resources and local talent to stay solvent. CC's trying to play catch up with iHeart, but they're in a major battle with Pandora. CC was too tied to terrestrial radio because of the huge dollars they invested in infrastructure like towers, studios, etc and were reluctant to embrace the multi-device model.

The future of radio looks like this: terrestrial radio for news/talk and services like Pandora for music. Fragmented audiences just like TV.

12. Abner Devereaux

Abner Devereaux Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    like a neurotic bitch...

13. chrisfromvegas

chrisfromvegas HOOLIGAN VIP

Reputations:
    FM actually sounds better that the extremely compressed crap from Sirius.

In the beginning the sound was pretty good. Then They added a bunch of channels and it divided the bandwidth.

Everything on Siruis can be has elsewhere.

Sirius wouldn't stop billing me after I cancelled. I had to dispute the charges and cancel my CC.

Shady fuckers...

14. DiamondGoddess

DiamondGoddess Born Ready for My Close-Up! Gold

Reputations:
    Agreed!!!

And Sirius fukked up big time by thinking what was really a niche act, even at it's best, would get accepted by the mainstream.

Maybe ruining radio was the real Revolution the Wig was after!!!

tired likes this.
  15. fixer

fixer I'm Retarded you Jerk. On the Power.

Reputations:

Whoever took this picture, they snapped it a little too soon. The chick was just about to pull her panties to the side and give us all a look at retro 70's bush.

Shithead likes this.
  16. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    rI definitely don't agree with your point about FM and satellite being the same. FM radio sucks massive donkey balls in just about every major market in the US. For them the music is just the nonsense they put between all the ads. They don't give a fuck about the music. So much so that many stations (more so in the country/western stations) they are editing "superfluous" content from songs (guitar solos, long intros/outros, etc) just to get more ad time in per hour.

I keep satellite for the baseball games and talk channel. I do like a lot of the music stations too. Tom Petty Radio (channel 31) is rocking my world right now.

In 11 years, I haven't listened to more than 10 minutes of FM radio. It's just that bad.

I also really like podcasts which has also put a damper on the radio market (broadcast and satellite).

My attitude and outlook is generally negative. I need things to stay fresh and different or else I'm gonna lose my shit which is why rock radio sucks. How many of the same Zeppelin songs can one station play in one day? Fuck them all in the goat ass.

17. Jake Dog

Jake Dog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Video killed the radio star :grad:

18. kippy

kippy Not Safe For Women VIP

Reputations:
    When I turn my terrestrial radio on, there are even more stations available around here than there were ten years ago. So I don't see how Howard or Sirius killed anything. Just ask Rush Limbaugh or George Noory.

19. icypussy

icypussy clit finder Gold

Reputations:
    Wiggy is a regular Sam Walton.

20. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    His "hot" girlfriend from camp loos like she's got itchy vajajay.