Stern Show Stern started at W4, thirty six years ago today

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by OneBallBelz, Apr 21, 2016.

1. OneBallBelz

OneBallBelz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard became the wild morning man of Detroit's WWWW radio station, 36 years ago today.

Not long after, the station would change to a country and western format.

2. rabbigottfried

rabbigottfried Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  3. ArtieFartie

ArtieFartie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And his show went on to be funny and entertaining for the next 25 years.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Well-Known Member

Reputations:

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  5. Mike in Houston

Mike in Houston I got more balls than the daily lottery. VIP

Reputations:
    I always preferred Hopalong Howie myself.

reno and GoshGeeGolly like this.
  6. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Highlights from his short career in Detroit:

Howard took the position vacated by the brash, younger DJ Steve Dahl, who left Detroit for Chicago. Howard and his friend used to listen to Dahl's tapes while Howard was still in Connecticut, and some of Howard's bits were direct rip-offs of Dahl's. (Dahl spoke through a megaphone for his "black traffic copter reporter" named Tyrone, and two years later Howard did the same thing with Mama Looka Boo Boo Day. Dahl did Dial-a-Date, so Howard did Dial-a-Date ...)

When his morning newscaster said she wanted to visit a nudist colony, Howard invited listeners to come down and strip naked to help set the mood. Two males showed up and got naked atop the WWWW marquee, with Howard and microphone close behind.

Howard wrestled women outside the studio.

He interviewed prostitutes, including twins.

He went largely unnoticed in the Detroit market, because WWWW floundered as a rock station. The ratings during his stint show that his program underperformed or merely tied the station as a whole.

Competition got even stiffer for Howard when Dahl returned to Detroit via syndication from Chicago.

Howard insisted the station was not giving him enough support in the form of bumper stickers.

Howard was a fake rocker. Speaking to WXYZ-TV six months into his stay, he sounded exuberant about the rock scene. "On any given weekend you don't have one or two major acts, sometimes you have three major acts in an area, plus you have the local clubs that are supporting bands that are terrific. There's so much music, so much excitement, I can't handle it. After milk and cookies, I should be in bed at night, but I'm out, you know, cruising the clubs and finding out what's going on."

But Howard tended to limit his cruising to those events he was obligated to attend on behalf of WWWW. "He looked like he fit in with the rock-and-roll crowd, but he didn't."

When Howard left for DC-101, he had a party in the suburbs. "It was a sedate gathering mainly of the conservatively dressed people who were Howard's real friends in the area. Those rock-and-roll station mates who customarily arrived for a bash no earlier than 10:30 or 11 P.M. walked into a party that was breaking up. Entertainment was provided by a magician -- geez, how square, the rockers snickered."

Source:

[​IMG]

7. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Private Parts v Real Life: Detroit

In the movie:
    Howard shares the exciting news that they’re moving to Detroit on a day’s notice, so that he can start working for WWWW. Alison, who has found Howard’s still-wet underwear from the night before in their car, refuses to go with him.

[​IMG]

In real life: Howard did not immediately pounce on the Detroit job opportunity that he’d applied for – possibly out of fear that he would be following in the path of Steve Dahl, who had left Detroit for Chicago two years earlier and had become an audible influence on Howard. (The job at WWWW was the same job Dahl once held.) Howard tried to use the job offer as leverage to get a raise at the Hartford station, but WCCC owner Sy Dresner – who valued loyalty and dedication from his team – was livid over the situation. He denied Howard a raise, so Howard accepted the job in Detroit (at a salary of $30,000 a year). Alison did stay behind, but only because she had to give her job a month’s notice (and not because of a pair of wet underwear from an imaginary encounter with a sex-charged actress).

“Looks like Big Bird to me.”

In the movie: Howard, distraught over Alison dumping him, and insulted by the way the overnight DJ just introduced him to his new audience, begins his first shift with a new resolve. “Something in me just snapped,” Howard says in voiceover. He launches into a character named Mama Looka Boo Boo Day – a black helicopter reporter who reads a poem about killing the white man. Howard’s program director looks at him in incredulous shock as Howard, realizing he’s just had a major breakthrough in his career, backs away from the microphone, defiant and proud. The dramatic sound of “All Along the Watchtower” by Jimi Hendrix kicks in. (Hendrix would definitely have been pulled from the station where Howard was program director.)

[​IMG]

In real life: Howard stole the character of Mama Looka Boo Boo Day from Steve Dahl, the brash, younger DJ whose tapes Howard listened to in Hartford. (Dahl’s character, Tyrone the black helicopter reporter, who also spoke through a megaphone, debuted two years before Mama Looka Boo Boo Day.) Dahl, now in Chicago, complained on the air about a new DJ in his old market of Detroit who was stealing his material. He was, of course, referring to Howard.

Howard insisted the station wasn’t giving him enough support in the form of bumper stickers and other displays. When a photographer covering a bra burning event that Howard staged asked Howard’s newscaster, Debbie Beller, to be in the photo, Howard was outraged. “He let me know that he was the star of the show,” she recalled.

[​IMG]

I’m just so madly in love with you. I don’t need anyone else in my life, I don’t want anyone else in my life. All I want is you. I just want you to forgive me.”

In the movie: Howard shaves his lame mustache and grows out his hair. (The more “honest” and “himself” Howard becomes on the radio, the longer and faster his hair grows.)

[​IMG]

Alison surprises him at his apartment and agrees to return to him if Howard will assure her that his on-air antics are one thing, but off the air, she’s the only one for him.

[​IMG]

In real life: Alison finished up at her job and joined Howard in Detroit a month after he got there, as planned. This scene was created to show the mutual understanding that Howard and Alison have about his on-air behavior, while further underscoring just how sensitive and madly in love Howard is with Alison.

Unlike the other DJs who partied with the rockers who passed through Detroit, Howard lived with Alison in the suburbs, and only went to events that he was obligated to attend for work. “He looked like he fit in with the rock-n-roll crowd, but he didn’t,” a coworker said. He didn’t actually shave his mustache and grow out his hair until years later, when he was in New York.

[​IMG]

“This is your old pal Hopalong Howie saying, ‘I quit.’”

In the movie: After his Detroit station goes country, Howard, unhappy with the new direction, insults country music and quits live on the air – even though he has nothing to fall back on.

[​IMG]

In real life: Howard badly wanted out, but the other Detroit stations showed no serious interest in him. “I thought he was trying to copy Dahl,” said Al Wilson, who was general manager of WABX. A consultant who Howard worked with before taking the Detroit job persuaded management at DC-101, a Washington station for which he did consultation work, to hire Howard. After a marathon pitch session, General Manager Geoff Lebhar finally agreed to hire Howard at $40,000 a year ($10,000 less than Howard was now making in Detroit) without even hearing Howard’s tape. Howard and Alison had a farewell party in the Detroit suburbs. It was mainly attended by the couple’s conservatively-dressed real friends, and entertainment was provided by a magician. Howard’s rock n’ roll station mates arrived as the party was breaking up, and snickered at how square the whole event was.