Strange Housing Issue In Hartford

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Mar 17, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    I don't know which side of this to fall on, the city is enforcing an ordinance that they have a right to enforce but it is a 9 bedroom house, would they be so quick to enforce it, if the house was occupied by something other than white professionals.

Hartford's 11-person "family" could be forced out
    The question of how you define a family is at the center of a dispute in Hartford, Connecticut. Nearly a dozen people, some of whom are not related, live together comfortably in a single-family home. But the city of Hartford says under its zoning code, that kind of living arrangement is not allowed, and they could be forced to split up, reports CBS News correspondent Anna Werner.

Hartford's historic West End neighborhood boasts stately mansions and high-profile homeowners, including the mayor and Connecticut's governor.

Just like like others, the home making headlines was purchased by a "family" who live in apparent domestic harmony -- except they're not. The group of 11 actually includes three couples, with three children and two single people. They're all longtime friends who decided years ago they wanted to live together.

[​IMG]
    From left: Joshua Blanchfield, Milo Rozza, Hannah Simms, Maureen Welch, Laura Rozza, Dave Rozza, Milo Rozza, 7, Simon DeSantis, Tessa Rosenfield, middle, Elijah Rosenfield, 4, Julia Rosenblatt, seated
    "I think there's a real extension of our values as people," English teacher Kevin Lamkins said. "The values I'm speaking of are sustainability, cooperation, living more, living well but within your means. Being connected to other people and not being in a silo, so to speak."

The group of friends includes three teachers, a grants manager and a mental health therapist.

"It's not a cult, there's no religion, there's no intermingling," Julia Rosenblatt said. "We're really living like most people are, you know, we are just doing it together."

They purchased the nine-bedroom home and moved in last August. They have a legal partnership agreement and a shared bank account to pay expenses. The group has spent $30,000 so far to repair the home which was built in 1921.

They all say it works well, but some neighbors apparently don't agree.

Someone complained to the city, which determined in October that the living arrangement violates the zoning code for the neighborhood, which specifies that although the houses may be massive, no more than two unrelated people can live in them. It came as a surprise to the group.

"We did some research and the reason we thought we were OK is because specific to this area, there's a density clause. Only a certain amount of people per acre. And we more than fit that," Rosenblatt said.

Last month, they appealed and lost. They now have to decide whether to fight the decision in court or break up the group, and sell.

"It's been terrifying; it's been really stressful. We're just getting into living together and functioning as a family with all 11 of us and it's already become pretty precious, I think, to all of us," freelance theater teacher Hannah Simms said.

City officials would not comment, citing possible litigation. Land use attorney Diane Whitney said zoning codes were designed to protect neighborhoods.

"Historically, it was to rule out things like boarding houses or rooming houses," Whitney said. "It would be wise of Hartford to look at their definition of family; How does it work? Is it doing what you want it to do?"

This group says, in their case, definitely not.

"It's preposterous. Whomever is in your home, who you love, is who your family is," Josh Blanchfield said. "And the notion that the city is going to discount that is unacceptable to us."

Some cities and towns have found a way to address these living arrangements. They call it a "functional family," and that definition actually describes this group pretty well: They must have an ownership interest, share housekeeping duties, which usually means is there is only one kitchen and other specifications so that these homes don't end up as boarding houses.

As for the neighbors who allegedly made the initial complaint, none who we contacted would comment on camera.

2. face palm

face palm Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    filthy hippies

RumBalls, DuckDong, smichal and 4 others like this.
  3. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    That's really what it's about. Rich people don't want mansions around them being used as communes. They only want other rich people there.

Head Censor, DuckDong, MrPACS and 7 others like this.
  4. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I lived in Hartford many years ago while attending school. I'm sure they have many situations where single mothers are living in filthy 2-bedroom apartments with 10 or more kids. They should worry more about those cases than something like this.

5. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    Gubmint, always up someone's azz

6. Pooh bear

Pooh bear Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    As long as they aren't disturbing the peace, making a mess of their property and are law abiding citizens, who cares??
    :dontknow:

JameGumb, DinnerSocks, MrPACS and 4 others like this.
  7. John Sterling

John Sterling Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Haitians, Jamaicans and dot dot Indians have been dong this forever in the U.S. - 20 people to an apartment, dirty mattresses covering their living rooms - and nobody's said anything.

MrPACS, Scarlett Ohara and smichal like this.
  8. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    Fuck em, they are out. Ordinances like those are to keep people from doing stuff like this and over burdening the school district.

If they were actually related, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Guy in my town had a McMansion and his brother's family living with him. Neighbors were all complaining and hassling the guy, eventually forcing him to move. That was bullshit. Group of shit heads turning a single family into an apartment building is ludicrous.

smichal likes this.
  9. wujekcity

wujekcity Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I live about 6 miles from this part of Hartford.....there are some really incredible older mansions in the area! However these homes are located like 2-3 blocks away from some of the worst crime ridden areas in CT. I guess why the huge homes are so much cheaper? Some of them are really incredible

MrPACS likes this.
  10. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    I can see too where eight adults may have eight vehicles which could cause a parking issue.

11. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They wouldn't do this if they were Mexicans
    Shit half of California and Portland has 10-20 "family" members in a house with 12 cars. It's a fucking joke
    Cities won't do a thing either and act like there is nothing wrong.

smichal likes this.
  12. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i can't say that i blame the residents. today it's filthy hippies, tomorrow it's 20 migrant workers.

Droog likes this.
  13. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    aren't we fortunate to have them here????

John Sterling likes this.
  14. John Sterling

John Sterling Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Yes! I can't get enough of their stench.

15. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    if the ordinance pre existed , then ill have to go along with it.
    if they enacted just to mess with these ppl., not cool.

so the tv waltons would have to split up? thats sad.
    goodnight johnboy

16. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    why are ppl mocking blacks and mexicans and hippies?

i only see nerdy white ppl in the pic

17. Droog

Reputations:
    Yep. Maybe not to that extreme for the mansions, but the other houses in the area where migrants could pool money and live by the dozens in small houses. If you're going to let these people skate by, then you're setting precedent. Also, people don't think blight can happen in expensive neighborhoods. They're wrong. There are mansions in Detroit with great architecture that were selling for cheap. I saw one that was 7000 square feet and it was $275k. It wasn't run down like one would expect either. Across town from that home is a road that used to have a row of homes occupied by the wealthy. Today, they have all been converted into multifamily housing. Once an area loses exclusivity, people with money no longer want to be there. Those huge homes first went to people who got great bargains, but couldn't afford to keep up a home that size. From there, they became unoccupied until sold at auctions to investors who turned them into apartments.

FishySausage likes this.
  18. Droog

Reputations:
    No. They were a legitimate family. This is multiple families calling themselves a "family" simply because they reside together. The Duggars could move into that house with no problem. They'd have to double up the beds in every room, but it would be legitimate.

wife is a whore and scoobyla like this.
  19. Droog

Reputations:
    Today they're somewhat normal whites, tomorrow a bus converted into a low rider pulls up and 40 Mexicans jump out and start moving in.

[​IMG]

20. Droog

Reputations:
    Something would surely be done if it happened in a wealthy neighborhood. No one gives a shit when it's happening next to commoners.

Samurai likes this.