Student left in DEA cell for 5 days, drinks own urine and wins $4.1 mil settlement

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by EndOfLine, Jul 31, 2013.

1. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Good times.

San Diego (CNN) -- A University of California San Diego student left unmonitored in a holding cell for five days by the Drug Enforcement Administration has settled a lawsuit for $4.1 million, his attorney said Tuesday.

"This was a mistake of unbelievable and unimaginable proportions," said attorney Julia Yoo.

Daniel Chong, 25, drank his own urine to survive and even wrote a farewell note to his mother before authorities discovered him severely dehydrated after a 2012 drug raid in San Diego.

Chong was detained on the morning of April 21 when DEA agents raided a house they suspected was being used to distribute MDMA, commonly known as "ecstasy."
    A multiagency narcotics task force, including state agents, detained nine people and seized about 18,000 ecstasy pills, marijuana, prescription medications, hallucinogenic mushrooms, several guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition from the house, according to the DEA.
    It wasn't until the afternoon of Wednesday, April 25, that an agent opened the steel door to Chong's cell and found the handcuffed student, Chong's attorney Gene Iredale said last year.

2012: Forgotten in cell for 5 days 2012: Student feared death, dehydration
    Upon his release, Mr. Chong told CNN affiliate KNSD that he was visiting a friend and knew nothing about the presence of drugs and guns. He was never formally arrested or charged, the DEA said.

While detained, Chong had given up and accepted death, using a shard of glass from his glasses to carve "Sorry Mom" onto his arm as a farewell message, Yoo said. Chong lost 15 pounds and suffered from severe post-traumatic stress disorder, she said.

"He's the strongest person I have ever met," Yoo said. "As a result of his case, it's one of the primary reasons the DEA placed a nationwide policy that calls on each agent at satellite offices to check on the well-being of prisoners in their cells on a daily basis," Yoo said.

A spokeswoman from the San Diego office of the DEA declined to comment about the settlement but told CNN that a review of their procedures and protocols was conducted and submitted to the inspector general's office at the Department of Justice.

Since the incident, Chong has returned to complete his undergraduate degree at UC San Diego, Yoo said. "He changed his major from engineering to economics and wants to finish school, pursue his career and help take care of his mother."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/30/justice/california-dea-settlement/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

2. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
  3. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why would he write "sorry mom" sounds like an admission of guilt. :dontknow:

4. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Good. I'm glad he got a pile of dough. He deserved it. I wonder if any shithead at the DEA got shitcanned for that. :munch:

5. ice cream

ice cream Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    five days for 4mil

sign me up

6. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is crazy... at my dept. anyone in a cell must be checked on every 30 mins.. We keep a log, and at a minimum, you must make an entry every thirty mins. . i believe this is the state standard. I guess they closed up shop for the weekend or something and forgot about the chink in the clink.

But cmon.. 18000 doses of X, thousand of rounds of ammo, shrooms,, illegal guns.. and this guy knew nothing about it.. cracka please,.

7. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:

he had to resort to drinking his own piss... might want to give the guy a break

8. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Ghandi did it all the time.. no one wrote him a check.

either way, Im not crying for the chinamen...

9. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    ...which is why it was probably no accident that he was left there... :coffee:

10. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Yeah, when you're in a life and death situation.

11. John Smith

John Smith Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    WGAS if he was guilty or not guilty? The guy deserved every penny. I'm guessing the narcotics agents received a slap on the wrist instead of being fired -- that's the REAL crime.

12. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And if pot was legal, he would have never been in that position and the DEA would still have their $4.1 million.
    Drug war... what a waste of time and money and people's lives.

13. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    $900k/day :facepalm:

14. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "t's one of the primary reasons the DEA placed a nationwide policy that calls on each agent at satellite offices to check on the well-being of prisoners in their cells on a daily basis"

Daily basis? You'd think this would be done hourly, or wouldn't need to be a "nationwide policy"...:facepalm:

15. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    it wasn't five days to him. He was in there not knowing what was going on and not knowing if and when they would come back. No windows, nobody to talk to, no food/water. Otherwise I would agree with you.

16. Chatsworth

Chatsworth Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    If every law enforcement agency were forced to wear the exact same uniform with only an arm patch to distinguish one from the other, the country would be shocked to see what a police state we've become.

17. PiggyMohammad

PiggyMohammad Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;tJn2-x-7CUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJn2-x-7CUY[/video]

18. slab0meat

slab0meat negative creep

Reputations:

Lots of policies you wouldn't think were needed... like warning people that the hot coffee they just bought is hot. Or no diving signs where there's 2 feet of water..

19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Asians are yellow. Urine is yellow. It's probably like tap water to them.

20. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    doesn't matter. since they never charged him, he's innocent and illegally detained, although I bet he would win a charge of kidnapping against the DEA..