Students At UC Berkeley Want To Name Building After Cop Killer

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Mar 19, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Student group demands California university rename building after convicted cop killer

A black student organization at the University of California at Berkeley is demanding the university rename a building on campus after Assata Shakur, a former Black Panther, convicted cop killer and the first woman named to the FBI's Most-Wanted Terrorist List.

A jury convicted Shakur of killing a New Jersey State Trooper in 1979. She escaped prison and fled to Cuba. The FBI calls her a domestic terrorist. In 2013, the agency added her to the FBI's Most Wanted Terrorist List, alongside several members of Al Qaeda, airline hijackers and bombers.

But to the Black Student Union at Berkeley, Shakur is an "icon of resistance within oppressed communities (who) represents black resilience in the face of state-sanctioned violence." They demanded the university rename Barrows Hall, named after former Chancellor David Barrows, "Shakur Hall." In 2013, Shakur declared her innocence and called her trial in 1979 a legal lynching by an all-white jury. Shakur, formerly known as Joann Chesimard, belonged to the Black Liberation Army at the time of the shooting.

"We want the renaming for someone -- Assata Shakur -- who we feel like represents us as black students," said Black Student Union spokesman Cori McGowens. "Black students on campus have a feeling of isolation, marginalization. We're at a crisis on campus."

The renaming of Barrows Hall is just one of 10 demands the Black Student Union delivered to Berkeley Chancellor Nick Dirks last month.

They're also demanding a meeting place solely for black students, $300,371 for two black admissions staff focused on black recruiting, $113,932 for another staffer to handle black retention, two black psychologists who understand the "racially hostile campus," two black advisers to mentor black athletes and a fully-funded 'Get into Graduate School' mentoring program.

"I came to Berkeley and I thought that it was a progressive liberal environment, but the N-word was written on the dorm wall and my white professors were openly using the N-word," said senior Blake Simons. "So that's part of my experience here is feeling marginalized."

University officials met with the groups last week. While not agreeing to honor Shakur, Chancellor Dirks did apologize, saying, "Too many (black) students have told us about being excluded from study groups, ignored during class discussions, verbally harassed at parties and social events, and feeling, in a general sense, vulnerable, isolated and invisible. This is something we deplore."

African-American students at Berkeley already have 33 campus organizations dedicated to their well-being, from fraternities and sororities, to a African Theme Program, an African American Studies Department, an African Arts Society, a Black Campus Ministries, Finance Guild and Pre-Law Society.

But that isn't the point, say students.

"We definitely need more resources for underrepresented minorities on campus," says senior Amanda Burke. "I know personally people who suffer micro-aggressions on a daily basis at Cal and it's something that's kind of gone ignored by a lot of people."

Some black students cite a mock lynching last year at one fraternity. However, a police investigation later revealed the hanging effigy on Halloween was meant to be a zombie, not an African-American.

Still, McGowens said it was difficult to succeed academically because of the anti-black atmosphere.

"There are a lot of black students that apply --get into Cal -- who don't want to come for that reason," he said. "Because the environment isn't welcoming. It isn't safe for black students. So we feel like as black students we are the most marginalized on campus."

After Chancellor Dirks "defaulted" on the group's March 6 deadline, the Black Student Union said it would "persevere" until they get what they "deserve."

Of UC Berkeley's 36,000 enrolled students, roughly 3 percent are black, 40 percent are Asian, 30 percent are white and 13 percent are Hispanic. By comparison, the statewide population is 7 percent black, 14 percent Asian, 37 percent Hispanic and 42 percent white.

William La Jeunesse joined FOX News Channel (FNC) in March 1998 and currently serves as a Los Angeles-based correspondent.

JameGumb likes this.
  2. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
  3. Ingens

Ingens VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    What? No building named after Charles Manson yet?

JameGumb and Captain like this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  5. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm sure many professors are using the "N-word". Get the fuck outta here......they should be expelled for their nonsense and offered jobs as janitors.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  6. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    you know there's at least one dude pretending to be in favor of this to get laid by some loony broad

that dude's gonna be slightly embarrassed over this in 20 years

I pretended to like the counting crows to bang this somewhat cute girl with big cans

BethSucks and Mulletude like this.
  7. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Could happen.

8. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    "Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers"
    The second part of Wolfe's book is set at the Office of Economic Opportunity in San Francisco which was in charge of administering many of the anti-poverty programs of the time. Wolfe presents the office as corrupt, continually gamed by hustlers diverting cash into their own pockets. The essay centers on the irony of these failed programs fortifying not the diets but the resentment and contempt of the Black, Chicano, Filipino, Chinese, Indian, and Samoan communities of San Francisco.

Wolfe describes hapless bureaucrats (the Flak Catchers) whose function was reduced to taking abuse, or "mau-mauing" (in reference to the intimidation tactics employed in Kenya's anti-colonial Mau Mau Uprising) from intimidating young Blacks and Samoans, who are seen as reveling in the newfound vulnerability of "the Man".

9. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They're also demanding a meeting place solely for black students

isn't that what the local county lockup is for?

10. Pooh bear

Pooh bear Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I really need to take a break from social media cuz I think my head is gonna explode! :bsod:

11. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Besisdes my multiple divorces I'd say not participating in Facebook/Twitter is the best thing I've done for my sanity.

12. al pacinos baby

al pacinos baby Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The blacks won't feel safe or represented until a hall is named after a cop killer. That makes sense. Just not sure if other 93% of the student body will feel safe.

TeeDonkey likes this.
  13. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just cut through the bullshit and have every suburban white mom and dad cut a check directly to a black kid. It's racist to make blacks go to college. Just supoort them for life.

14. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I wonder who they voted for last election?

TeeDonkey likes this.
  15. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Considering what college we're talking about I am certain this will happen, statues and everything.

TeeDonkey likes this.
  16. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    LOL. I absolutely love that UC Berzerkeley administrators have to deal with stupid shit like this on a daily basis.

You reap what you sow, dumbasses. :giggle:

What a joke of a school. I can't believe there are any business owners left who would hire the dipshits that graduate from that cesspool.

TeeDonkey likes this.
  17. al pacinos baby

al pacinos baby Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can we deploy the Ohio National Guard there?

TeeDonkey, Birddog, FSFN and 2 others like this.
  18. Pooh bear

Pooh bear Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It's a never ending barrage of black v. white v. Muslim v.men v. women.....
    Every damn day. It's seriously chipping away at my soul. :(

Shortwave98 likes this.
  19. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
    Too much time spent in the Stern forum.

Shortwave98 and Pooh bear like this.
  20. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    As a Berkeley alum, I am most proud of this. I would be even more proud if they would name it the "Howard, Bianca and Beth Stern Northshore- Animoe-League-by-the-Bay School of Advanced Fleecing and Scamifying." That would be a building I could put my hard-earned dollars behind.