"Stuttering John Special" Inadvertently Proves Howard as the Villain and not Jay Leno

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Skybox, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Skybox

Skybox New Member

Reputations:
    Multi-year lurker here, just started posting, so forgive the timing of this topic that has been brewing in my head for years. But I think the observation is worth a post.

Long-time Howard Stern fans (like me) grew up hating Jay Leno. The main reason was with how he handled the Stuttering John hire. Howard never blamed John for it, he put all the blame at Jay. Why didn't that asshole reach out to Howard like a man instead of going behind his back. But the Stuttering John Special on H100 (may have been part of the History of Howard run) paints a very different picture.

A very key part of the special (which Howard never discussed) is when Stuttering John describes the process. The key part is where he tells Jay, "just please let me be the one to tell Howard."

So what went wrong? Another part of the special has Howard in the K-rock years say on air that John keeps trying to put time on his calendar to discuss John's career. But Howard says he keeps turning him down, because he doesn't want to have any career discussion with him. He tells John to give up because Howard is not going to give him time.

John finally gives up and signs with Jay, and Howard acts like a victim because no one talked to him about it before-hand. And in Jay's defense, it sounds like he wanted to call Howard, but John makes the request to be the one to tell him. (which Howard does not allow to happen because he was being an asshole).

And at the end of the day, hiring Stuttering John to be an announcer is a real head-scratcher. But when all the facts are on the table, Howard really was the villain in the whole exchange, not Jay. And John leaving for more money after feeling under-appreciated is no different than Howard leaving CBS for Sirius for more money and appreciation.

2. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    Only Howard owns slaves. No one else.

3. Evil Clown

Evil Clown 34 VIP

Reputations:
    John had no obligation to inform the wig that he had a new job ahead of time. 2 weeks notice is all that is required. Fuck the pelican.

4. Skybox

Skybox New Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's right. When John was parading around at Krock about the deal, it was after he said he had hundreds of grand of cash in his bank account for signing the deal. The stakes were too high to risk Howard killing the deal. So to augment my story above, I believe he only was trying to tell Howard about it before it went public, but AFTER he signed the deal.

5. IPrankNoOneElse

IPrankNoOneElse Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard was such a huge asshole during the entire period of John leaving.Robin as well. Stuttering John made most of his money from stocks and appearances and Howard didnt even want him doing that! No stand up or side gig of any sort pleased Howard. If John made strictly K Rock money, he wouldve been assed out. John also made a great point when he was talking to Adam Corrolla too. He said Howard said that he wasnt responsible for anyones pay and yet when John went out to try to earn additional money, he was against that too.

6. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Leno paid Howie back with a big fuck you for disrespecting him and The Tonight Show with the 2 lesbos by "stealing" away this unlikely anti-announcer. He got what he deserved. SJ owed Stern nothing more than a 2 week notice, especially after seeing how he bad-mouthed those who previously left on their own volition. Personally, going back to the other place, I never bought into the hatred for Jay just because Howie did. Even if I didn't know people who worked and Harley'ed with him calling him a great down-to-earth guy, Leno just always gave off that genuine vibe vs the moron who wanted the hallway cleared before he walked through it. But back then I was in the minority of those who took Jay's side.

7. Hamptons Bowler

Hamptons Bowler Member

Reputations:
    Howard would never ever match what Jay offered to pay John, so saying he should have told Howard/Tom Chiusano so they could counter is retarded. John had no upgrade path on the Stern show, in fact he got too well-known for his Celeb harassing, it was hard to do anymore and Stern "evolved" into ass-kissing celebs as much as Jay. Howard says he wants to host a game show because it is easy work, well lifting a coffee mug and saying Niggerless Cage was even easier.

8. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    2 weeks notice is all he had to give and Howard always causes this crap by trying to keep all the........

[​IMG].....for himself.

9. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    After a few months, John was the winner, Jay and Howard were both losers with Howie throwing foot-stomping 7-year old temper tantrums about losing a cast member to Jay and the Tonight Show making John pre-tape his opening announcement and not integrating him into the show as they planned.

10. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    this.
    howard is a bitter, vindictive man. how dare anyone leave him?

11. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
  12. Fa Fa Fruit Fly

Fa Fa Fruit Fly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why would Howard think Jay needed to check with him before hiring John? Did Howard contact Steve Langfords previous employer before he hired him? Or Lisa Geeee's? Or anyone's?

Howard wasn't mad that Jay hired John. Howard was mad that Jay didn't consider Howard enough of a "someone" in the industry that he should even have to talk to him before hiring John. That's what really bugs Howard... all the stuff about people stealing his bits has nothing to do with wanting credit for inventing things. It's just that the people who he feels do this to him don't consider him enough of a mogul to care what he thinks.

Howard has always craved being important and being powerful. You could call him a hook nose Jew until the cows come home and he won't care. But if you refused to take his call, or didn't "respect his authoritah!" that would burn his ass more than anything else.

13. Jon Mendelsohn

Jon Mendelsohn New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Howard's argument against John and the other retards on his show cheapening his brand with their shitty sideshows was valid. If I was Wig and at the peak of my popularity, there is no way I would allow those idiots to put on a crap show and call it "Friends of Howard Stern Show."

That being said, Wig's bitterness about one of his players being stolen without an obligatory call from Leno is so much sour grapes. The real reason he was pissed was Leno stole his homeless bit. But he stole a bunch of stuff from other people anyway, so he should have rubbed some salve on his pussy and gone on with his life. No, we still have Fred doing John impersonations during live spots. It's pathetic.

14. Markyjonz

Markyjonz Active Member

Reputations:
    I agree with everything you said.

15. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Stuttering John leaving is one of the all-time great FU's to Howard..... both by Jay Leno and by Stuttering John. Here's a couple of my comments and observations to add to what was already posted........... I'll try to keep this short because I can go on and on about how great this was......

1) Not long before SJ left for the Tonight Show, SJ was fired from his radio program on K-Rock. I think that was FINALLY some extra good money that SJ could have been happy with. Howard brought in some kid program director? to fire stuttering john ON THE AIR.

2) The on air firing was just one of countless times where SJ was ridiculed and laughed at. Howard told him multiple times how he would be a complete failure if Howard ever let go of him.

3) The part that I think gets Howard riled up the most is a very simple troll comment by Jay that stabs Howard right in his very core with the truth...... Jay said that he knew Howard couldn't take care of his people, so he wanted to bring SJ into a situation where talent is fairly paid and compensated. That was the ultimate jab that hit Howard the hardest. SJ has already made more money than he would have ever made staying with the Howard Stern show.

4) It must have been the greatest feeling to walk into Tom Chiusano's office with the news that he is leaving. Tom was a dope and his explanation for the reasons of not offering John more money in the past was laughable. Tom kept saying something like "there is a market" that was compared to base SJ's salary on. But what he failed to recognize is that sometimes YOU can set the market. Howard and Tom undervalued SJ's contribution to the show for years, SJ was under no obligation to present them an offer to match before accepting.

16. Evil Clown

Evil Clown 34 VIP

Reputations:

WTF? No it isn't. John and the others were making nothing from the show, so they were forced to do those things to support themselves. Besides, I don't think a "Friends of the Howard Stern Show" would "cheapen" his brand when his brand is tits, pussies and ass chatter.

17. Jon Mendelsohn

Jon Mendelsohn New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    "Evil Clown," eh? SCARY!

:rolleyes:

The truth is that Howard used to put some thought and effort into his show. The only people who thought the show was just "tits, pussies and ass chatter" were people who didn't listen, or chicks who didn't like the sexual content. Which were you?

18. Evil Clown

Evil Clown 34 VIP

Reputations:
    Way to dodge all of my points. So then genius, wtf do you think John and the others should have done? Taken up part-time jobs at McDonald's? Quit? Come on, you're so smart, I'm sure you have all of the answers.

19. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    That was uncalled for.

20. jackieavenger

jackieavenger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The way howie treated billy west at the end was terrible. While Billy was still there he and robin were being so ridiculously passive aggressive, mocking his impressions and gigs away from the show. When Billy left his lies about not remembering why billy doesn't like him are also douchey. What a cheap asshole.