Stuttering John talks about writing for Jay Leno

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Vincenzo69, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Vincenzo69

Vincenzo69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Geno Bisconte: so you were a writer on the tonight show?

Stuttering John: um y-yeah

Geno: can you tell us a joke you wrote for Leno?

Stuttering John: (silence)

2. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How bad does your material have to be that not even Jay Leno will use it?

assnuts and Sharkey like this.
  3. GodsWForecast

GodsWForecast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Writing out the cue cards does not a writer make.

Sharkey and yaddc like this.
  4. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Gotta suck being on top 1 day and its back to Uncle Vinnie's comedy store the next day.

5. Night Ape

Reputations:
    John isn't a funny person. He settled on stand-up AFTER he no longer had a cush gig with a nice paycheck rolling in. If he'd ever really wanted to pursue stand-up, he had a decade in Los Angeles and a great (some would say 'the greatest') mentor at his disposal to help hone his craft.

Instead, he treats it the same way all has-beens do: as a last resort.

6. Fillmore Fingers

Fillmore Fingers Sandy Vag Banned User

Reputations:
    That's where the Gunkettes could have nailed him for being a complete bullshit artist.

SJ gets pissed off that people make fun of him for being talentless, mostly because it's true. This is the one part of the Howard argument that I agree with Wiggy about--that some talent co-ordinator on the Tonight Show decided that SJ might add some kind of younger demographic. When they got him they realized quickly that he had no worth in any capacity. He's not a writer, he's not a stand-up, he's not a radio guy, he's a shit-stirrer that fell upwards.

GodsWForecast likes this.
  7. Night Ape

Reputations:
    I think there's something to the conspiracy theory that Leno stole John away simply to fuck with Howard..

Jay knew he was retiring (heavy emphasis on was) and had the money to lure any of Howard's cronies away, so why not grab the guy who did all Howard's public fuckery for him? It's like in a movie where the intended victim says to the hitman "Whatever they're paying you, I'll double it!"

Whatever contract John had with the Tonight Show ran those 5 years (2004 - 2009) and that was it. He wasn't brought on as the announcer for the Jay Leno Show or Jay's second run on the Tonight Show.

That's telling. It says John wasn't integral to the Jay Leno brand enough to continue with him. It says John was a pawn in a grudge match between two huge egos.

Death Smack likes this.
  8. Fillmore Fingers

Reputations:
    It's most likely true. And you have Jay Leno doing a gig that Wiggy would have killed to either be on or have the gig himself, he's banned Wiggy from doing the show, and he's outed him for being an immense cheapskate. Seinfeld was the latest to make Wiggy look like a complete doofus.

GLguygardner likes this.
  9. GodsWForecast

GodsWForecast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know, but I think Stern's argument holds no water. I mean, what the fuck? When you jump jobs, who in their right mind thinks a future employer is going to 'ask' for permission from the soon-to-be former employer if they have 'permission' or a 'blessing'?

What I do know, is that I get tired of Howard whining about it like a little bitch who got his toy taken away from him. Enough already.

10. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    Jay and his people thought John was going to give them all these great ideas from HSS and it backfired once they realized he wrote very little to nothing for Stern. In 2003/2004 it looked like Stern's radio career might be over because Clear Channel and the far-right were blacklisting him because he was critical of Bush.

John did return to the Tonight Show with Jay after he fucked over Conan but as a staff writer whose job was to shut up and write nothing. The John fiasco was an embarrassment to Leno and not carrying him in some capacity would have been admitting defeat.

11. Night Ape

Reputations:
    Nah, I don't buy that for a minute.

If Jay stole John away solely to mine the brilliant comedy mind of the HSS and rub it in Howard's face, he would have hired him as a writer from the beginning. Or better yet, hire Jackie.

It was widely known the announcer job was available. Jay has every comedian in Los Angeles to pick from for writers. This was Jay's way of wagging his big money dick in Howard's face, cutting him off at the knees for his (Jay's) remaining tenure at TTS.

I agree giving John a writing job was a pity fuck, but not an admission of defeat. What would it matter to Jay if "John the Joke Writer" was a bust? If he wanted to embarrass Howard, the gangster move would be to fire John and expose Howard's golden goose as a talentless hack.

12. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    Jay hired John just to basically fuck with Howard? I think you're giving Jay way too much credit.

His writers were huge Stern fans and had already been stealing from HSS. They thought John could be both an on-air personality and creative contributor because as fans that is what they perceived John to be.

13. Night Ape

Reputations:
    How is that too much credit? It's exactly what a dumb guy you'd give zero credit would do..

Like it or not, intention or none, Jay shamed Howard; exposing him as a miserly Scrooge of a boss and a bad friend. Howard holds loyalty in such high regard, Jay showed just how loyal Howard's closest confidants really are.

Jay hobbled him. He was able to lure Howard's attack dog away with a juicer steak.

Death Smack and Fillmore Fingers like this.
  14. Fillmore Fingers

Reputations:
    The thing I don't get is if Jay's writers were avid listeners, they'd have to have known that SJ was pretty much useless--the guy had interns doing all his work, pre-taped his radio show during Stern hours so he could get home early, bummed lunches off of Jackie and later Artie, treated comedians like plantation workers, and was obsessed with money that wasn't his. His only function was interviewing celebs with questions written by others, answering phones, ratting out people, and busting balls. It's quoted in the SNL book that early on in Jay's tenure, he asked if he could get Phil Hartman to do sketches for him on his show, so there's precedent of Jay poaching talent from elsewhere to get stuff done. SJ is and was talentless.

I know there's a chance he reads this and gets butt-hurt, but welcome to the world, John.

Night Ape likes this.
  15. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    It's known that Jays fans were big fans of Howard. Who were they going to hire to steal ideas from HSS? Fred? Yeah right. Jackie? Too old and greedy.

16. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Active Member

Reputations:
    Geno is great in playing the show @-hole. His heel-ish routine really works well when someone like John is on the show. He will say things that Artie won't say but both the audience and Artie would like to say. Artie used to play this type of role on the Stern show when Beetlejuice or Eric the Actor would be on air.

17. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    Geno is ok. His voice is really shrill and annoying sometimes. Him cornering SJ about getting paid to do nothing on The Tonight Show for 10 years was good though.

18. !!!kaboom!!!

!!!kaboom!!! Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I liken Geno to the guy who played the hack "Ovaltine" comic on "Seinfeld." It is the same inflection and career type.

19. Whores&Headlocks

Whores&Headlocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    From Jay himself