Subway to remove chemical found in yoga mats from...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Feb 6, 2014.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Subway to remove chemical found in yoga mats from its bread

Published February 06, 2014

FoxNews.com

[​IMG]

Subway announced this week its plans to remove the controversial chemical Azodiacarbonamide from its bread products, USA Today reported.
    "We are already in the process of removing Azodiacarbonamide as part of our bread improvement efforts despite the fact that it is USDA- and FDA-approved ingredient," the company said in a statement. "The complete conversion to have this product out of the bread will be done soon."
    Though the company said the removal process has been ongoing, the announcement coincides with an online petition started by health activist Vani Hari, who runs the site FoodBabe.com[​IMG]. According to Hari, the chemical is also commonly used in products like yoga mats and rubber shoes to increase elasticity.
    “It’s banned all over the globe, because it’s linked to respiratory issues, allergies and asthma,” Hari wrote in her petition. “This is not ‘eating fresh!’”
    Hari considers the company’s decision to remove Azodiacarbonamide’s from its products a great victory for health advocacy.
    "I commend Subway for finally responding to me and now over 58,000 concerned citizens. Their swift action is a testament to what power petitions and individuals can have," Hari told USA Today in an email. "I'd like to note that current Subway sandwiches still have this ingredient, and I urge everyone not to eat their sandwich bread until they have finally removed the chemical."

2. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    eww. due to my profession i have eaten subway sandwiches thousands of times and thought to myself, well this is better than bk or mcd's, now I'm going to die from mesothelioma. :facepalm:

3. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Debbie Downer....

4. Phan Neepack

Phan Neepack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I didn't know Subway manufactured Yoga mats

5. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    $4 dollar foot longs

6. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    best sandwich at subway roasted chicken :grad:

7. LeoAZ

LeoAZ Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Except the chicken they buy is injected with growth hormones, antibiotics, is "plumped", and treated inhumanely and kept in small cages with other birds, which causes disease and stress which is why they're injected with antibiotics.

8. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Well, I'm not eating there anymore then. I was getting my water from West Virginia, my drywall from China, and my bread from Subway. Makes me impervious to disease.

[​IMG]

9. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    People swim in pools with a substance that has killed millions over time.

What else a chemical compound is used in is rarely as scary as the person who frames it that way wants it to be.

10. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    I'd love to stick my 6 inch in the health activist, Vani Hari.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Most normal people are too busy & broke to eat a perfect diet 7 days a week. When you are in a rush, as far as caloric intake + protein consumption, some of Subway's subs aren't too bad of a choice. I try to cook as much as possible but for the days I run short on time, i'll pick up a Subway Club. Dont think Publix (or local grocery chain) is much of a better bet. the sodium & calories are far more in a Publix sub vs Subway sub.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  11. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I hope Quiznos doesn't use that shit. I like to think my bread is just bread.

12. LeoAZ

LeoAZ Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So then by all means ingest toxic chemicals with little regard to their effect? Yes, we all come in contact with harmful products on a daily basis, the USA is the most advanced and richest country in the world. Yet we're #1 with cancer rates per person, and the reason why is because the FDA allows preservatives, artificial coloring, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, artificial sweeteners, dyes, hydrogenated oils and a whole slew of other toxic crap to go into our food. Your attitude is lazy and irresponsible, and people like you are the very reason we're in the position we're in.

13. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    We are at 14 million cancer diagnosis per year. By 2030, we will have almost 25 million new cases/yr. The scary part is the increase is all due to preventable cancers. Poor diet (including alcohol), Cigarette consumption, and lack of regular exercise.

You can't be a perfect human being. Choose your vice. Some people choose chocolate cake, I choose alcohol. People eating Subway are hardly the problem, though.

14. LeoAZ

LeoAZ Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Actually, you can be the perfect human being when it comes to diet, that is a cop out. Sure you can live a perfect life, with a perfect diet in the perfect environment and still get a terminal illness. But why not stack the cards in your favor?

15. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    Why would a dollar foot long cost $4? :wtf:

16. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    i work out an hour a day and run 3 miles 6 days a week, eat mostly grass fed meat and raw vegetables. you are preaching to the wrong person. however, if you are in a rush, need a quick meal, and can't cook one up or don't have $20 to spend, a 6 inch subway club sandwich isn't the fucking end of the world. Especially when you put it in perspective as to how most people eat. Your average restaurant offers a menu of meals calorically fit for a full day's intake. Fast food is the same thing as far as just sodium and saturated fat. Its great that you are disciplined and care about your health, but to the common person, eating Subway would be an upgrade from their typical diet.

17. King Chris

King Chris Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What's sad is you go other countries and they have healthy fast food, or at least fresh real food cooked for you that day instead of all these shitty chains we have here.

18. Nibbler

Nibbler heaven is in your mind Gold

Reputations:
    Is this thread just an excuse to post pictures of women's buns in yoga pants?

19. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Agreed - our FDA is a joke. The shit they let go to market compared to EMA in Europe is fucking crazy. It's all about lobbying $, not your safety.

20. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What really sucks is that with all the money subway makes, their ovens and staff, they can't mix together good ol' flour and water to make fucken bread. The bread is made each day, it cost pennies to produce... WTF.