Supporting local businesses vs. national chains

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Lucky Pierre, May 26, 2012.

1. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What we (meaning you) says:

"I hate national chains. I always support local businesses. The people who work there give better and more personalized service. Fuck these national chains".

What we really say with our actions:

"We prefer the national chains and it's not even close".

When will this lie about "local mom and pop stores are better" stop?

National stores offer much, much better selection and almost always they offer lower prices. This lie about "personalized service" is such a myth. Like I can walk into my local hardware store and hear, "Hi Bob, welcome back, how did Becky's swim competition go? Oh, by the way, I ordered those custom bathroom fixtures we talked about, I can bring them over to your house after dinner".

Employees are the same everywhere you go, some good, some shitty, most are average.

2. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    Total Wine (national chain superstore)

[​IMG]

vs.

Mom and Pop

[​IMG]

3. Capn Crud

Capn Crud The Pride of Cucamonga VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Money stays in the community when you shop local

But there aren't too many places where you can buy a TV locally

4. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    Yeah.... I'm sure I'll get everything I need here vs. Home Depot

[​IMG]

5. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    great

if everyone knows that, why does almost everyone go against it, as the sales clearly prove?

the answer is obvious, the national chains are better.

6. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    Conflict poster trying to start conflict.

The contest is over. The national chains won.

7. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    Mmm, after watching the WalMartization of my hometown over a couple of decades, and the downtown half emptied of businesses, I am inclined to disagree with OP....

8. Dave

Dave Active Member

Reputations:
    A good hardware store is packed with all kinds of good shit.

9. Capn Crud

Capn Crud The Pride of Cucamonga VIP Gold

Reputations:
    The guys that work at my Ace Hardware are veryknowledgeable and come are retired contractors. The people at Home Depot are basically HS drop outs that couldn't get a job at the local factory

10. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Reputations:
    Lolz.... No shit! You will be walking down and see something wierd on the self and you will be like " I don't know what this is... But I need it!"

11. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Reputations:
    There is this old school hardware store by me. The youngest dude that works there is like 68. They spend their time bullshitting sitting around a actual pot bellied stove.

12. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    i try to support locals, but here so many seem out to rip me off. the national chains usually have better prices and their staff don't give a shit about profit because they don;t see any of it. in this economy i often have to watch costs and the higher retail prices of the locals piss me off. when i find a local who tries to match the nationals, i stick with them and throw more of my business to them so they can make it up in increased cash flow as well.

13. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, around these parts, the people at Home Depot are mostly people who used to work at the local factory, or other lucrative positions, for 3 or 4 times as much money, and now have nowhere else to work except HD, WM, fast food, etc.

However, the Mom & Pop places are preferable to shop in, to me, if you can find them...

14. Dave

Dave Active Member

Reputations:
    I was doing some sheetrocking recently and needed some corner bead and some other stuff and the local hardware store had it all. They also had the new shower valve and ear protection I needed too.

15. Dave

Dave Active Member

Reputations:
    That's awesome.

16. gwartney

Reputations:
    It's really hard to find any mom and pop stores in my area. There area a couple of ace hardwares. the Tru value went out of business. I go to a camera store that is still locally owned. There are no grocery stores, just a couple of places that sell produce. There aren't even that many restaurants.

17. FtM

FtM Starless & Bible Black Gold

Reputations:
    Local business pay state and federal taxes....multi-national corporations lobby to get huge tax cuts therefore avoiding putting money into the communities in which their franchises reside. They are also anti-Union.

Amazon.com built a huge warehouse in my city. They were welcome with open arms. The locals said "This will create so many jobs for our city!". Fast-forward to now...the only way to get a job at Amazon.com is to go through a "temp service" called Integrity Staffing Solutions(oh the irony of that name). Integrity takes a cut of the employee's hourly wage and dictates their hours and rarely gives an employee an opportunity to receive healthcare benefits or a 401K or unemployment should they be let go. Its obvious to even the most simple fool that Integrity is owned by Amazon.com so that they may treats their employees any way they wish without repercussions.

18. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    The lie that 99% of the public says to themselves about, "I support local stores because I get better service" isn't close to being over.

19. gwartney

Reputations:
    I bought my last lawn mower at a local place because I thought they had the best service. It was a very expensive mower and I could have saved a couple of bucks at Home Depot. I started having trouble with it about a month after I bought it. I took it back to the place where I got it and they replaced the carb, blaming me for using bad gas.

I have three other devices that use the same gas and had no problems with them. Plus I use stabilizer. I had even gone as far to buy brand new gas cans when I got the mower, in case the old ones had any debris in them. It was not my fault. I had to pay them around a hundred. Having worked in a place like that, I know that they pocketed my hundred, turned the carb in on warranty, and got a double dip out of it from Honda.

If I'd bought it at Home Depot, I not only would have saved on the purchase, but I would have just rolled the mower in, gotten my money back, and bought another one. Lesson learned.

20. Dave

Dave Active Member

Reputations:
    I don't get better service at the hardware store, it's just closer. When I'm working on something and need something I can be there and back in under 10 minutes.