Supreme Court Rejects Gay Marriage Appeals From 5 States

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Ving, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Supreme Court Rejects Gay Marriage Appeals From 5 States
    [​IMG]
    Posted: 10/06/2014 9:52 am EDT Updated: 27 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court turned away appeals Monday from five states seeking to prohibit same-sex marriages, paving the way for an immediate expansion of gay and lesbian unions.

The justices on Monday did not comment in rejecting appeals from Indiana, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin. No other state cases were currently pending with the high court, but the justices stopped short of resolving for now the question of same-sex marriage nationwide.

The court's order immediately ends delays on marriage in those states. Couples in six other states — Colorado, Kansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia and Wyoming — should be able to get married in short order. Those states would be bound by the same appellate rulings that were put on hold pending the Supreme Court's review.

That would make same-sex marriage legal in 30 states and the District of Columbia.

Experts and advocates on both sides of the issue believed the justices would step in and decide gay marriage cases this term.

The justices have an obligation to settle an issue of such national importance, not abdicate that responsibility to lower court judges, the advocates said. Opting out of hearing the cases leaves those lower court rulings in place.

Two other appeals courts, in Cincinnati and San Francisco, could issue decisions any time in same-sex marriage cases. Judges in the Cincinnati-based 6th Circuit who are weighing pro-gay marriage rulings in Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee, appeared more likely to rule in favor of state bans than did the 9th Circuit judges in San Francisco, who are considering Idaho and Nevada restrictions on marriage.

It takes just four of the nine justices to vote to hear a case, but it takes a majority of at least five for an eventual ruling. Monday's opaque order did not indicate how the justices voted on whether to hear the appeals.

RoachCoachJokes likes this.
  2. Stern68

Stern68 mult Banned User

Reputations:
    :yay::cheer2::yay::cheer2:

Now we can be as miserable as everyone else.

:bigcry:

3. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i dont get why anyone spends time opposing this.

anyways, its good for the community and the economy

4. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I think it's mostly religion. I'm not one who believes that religion has any place in deciding the issue. Same with bigamy. I can be a Christian among gays without it affecting my faith just like I can while being around atheists and people of varying non-Christian faiths. Marriage should only be viewed as a legal document as far as the state is concerned. It won't suddenly cause people to "choose" being gay.

5. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    Funny how the Republicans bitch about the Evil Federal Govt trampling "States Rights" until the State disagrees with them then they have no problem and beg the Federal Govt to come in.

6. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    They're all for individual freedom until it's something that bothers them.

7. Willowglen

Reputations:
    Or as long as they are the individual.

Mulletude and Droog like this.
  8. HeyThere

HeyThere Active Member

Reputations:
    Ugh I was looking at comments on news sites earlier, and the annoying "Herp why are all them gays always pushing this down our throat, I'm so sick of hearing about it!" was in full swing. They don't understand that if you just legalize it, it wouldn't be in the news anymore.....that's what happened in my state

Alisonsbankacct likes this.
  9. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Now Howard can marry Ralph when he dumps Beth.

AmishGirl likes this.
  10. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    Um.....If I could marry my dog, get his little paws to sign a document, I would.....just sayin....
    :happy:

Thedomina and GIRLY like this.
  11. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    It's a money thing, it's a hot button issue with political contributors on both sides, just like abortion.

Gusbuss likes this.
  12. Willowglen

Reputations:
    When the Constitution starts covering the rights of dogs let me know. Until then you should leave the ridiculous straw man talking points to Fox News.

Mulletude, Gusbuss and jennyb like this.
  13. SomerSky

Reputations:
    Okay, I was in fact KIDDING! That said, he never leaves the toilet seat up, and doesn't bitch at me, so there are some merits to my point!!!!

14. Willowglen

Reputations:
    Hey yesterday my cat acted like a fire alarm when the broiler was not venting properly and the part of the house she was in and I wasn't started smoking up. So I'm right there with you.

SomerSky likes this.
  15. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    can't imagine anyone objecting to gay marriage but ...fuck -what a chickenshit Supreme Court

Paul Revere of Paul Revere and The Raiders died over the weekend and yet Antonin Scalia lives.
    Why, god -WHY? :tears:

16. SomerSky

Reputations:
    it's a lifetime appointment, so sorry to say, get used to it....., I think TSC always has a way of balancing itself out at the end of the day.... plus this is GOOD news, they know this point is no longer a talking point, and it's over Johnny....good for the gays, now they can get divorced as quickly as the rest of us do....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Senator Rick and Thedomina like this.
  17. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    He said, "I personally believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. But I also agree with most Americans, including Vice President Cheney and over 2,000 religious leaders of all different beliefs, that decisions about marriage should be left to the states as they always have been."

Barack Obama

"Marriage has got historic, religious and moral content that goes back to the beginning of time and I think a marriage is as a marriage has always been, between a man and a woman"

Hillary Clinton

"It's a personal position ... we have made it clear in our country that we believe in equality. How we get to full equality is the debate we're having, and I am absolutely in favor of civil unions with full equality ... of benefits, rights, and privileges."

Hillary Clinton

Oh, that's right, they have "evolved".

:ufacepalm:

For the record, it should be a states rights issue IMHO.

TeeDonkey, GIRLY and Mantis like this.
  18. Psyche

Psyche Freethinker

Reputations:
    Cool.

Gusbuss likes this.
  19. jennyb

jennyb Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Oh please....make it legal in all 50 states. Why the hell does anyone give a fuck? We got more important things to bicker about

20. Evil Clown

Evil Clown 34 VIP

Reputations:
    It isn't a States rights issue though. It is a constitutional one which the states must follow.

RoachCoachJokes and Gusbuss like this.