News supreme court upholds affordable care act

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by R.P. McMurphy, Jun 25, 2015.

1. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    thanks obama

2. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Thanks Chief Justice Roberts

3. kinneyjames

kinneyjames Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good. It's pure horse shit that the most wealthy, powerful country in the history of the World does not have universal healthcare for its citizens. Obamacare is a good start and I'm happy the Court has upheld the subsidies.

4. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Seriously, this is big news. I have a friend who is an attorney for a HUGE bank, and she specializes in ACA and medical benefit issues for both the bank and outside clients. Her view: If that piece of ACA had been knocked out, the markets would have been roiled big time. I'm watching the markets now, and it seems like the view is that this is a good thing for stability purposes.

5. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...america has the greatest health care in the world....as long as you can afford it. :secret:

6. kinneyjames

Reputations:
    Decision of the Fourth Circuit is affirmed in King v. Burwell. 6-3.

Six are the Chief, Kennedy, Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan.

Cheryl Marie likes this.
  7. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    You're welcome

Alisonsbankacct likes this.
  8. kinneyjames

Reputations:
    It's not just good for the markets. It's good for America. Now if we can get the insurance companies out of the way and let doctors and patients deal with each other directly.

9. Hamster

Hamster Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All along the experts said it was a very weak challenge - shocking that it got as far as SCOTUS but they had big right wing money behind them.

Subsidies aside, ACA is trying to look out for the people. If you've ever been screwed by an insurance company, you understand.

10. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    That's really the surprise. Roberts and Kennedy rule with the majority.

11. Pelicanman

Pelicanman Engorged Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I agree. It is an absolute travesty that people have to *gasp* PAY or WORK for something they might need, like healthcare. Instead, daddy government should just GIVE them the essentials.

I'm still waiting for Uncle Sam to give me a house and car.

12. kinneyjames

Reputations:
    Yeah. Like Canada does.

13. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I still find the whole thing bizarre. Before Obamacare, Republicans were for mandates and Democrats were adamantly against it. When Mitt Romney included it in the Mass health care plan, guys like Michael Moore trashed him for including mandates saying that he was treating people like cars forcing them to buy healthcare they can't afford. When the Clintons tried to socialize healthcare, the Republican counterplan was very similar to Obamacare. Democrats killed the Republicans for that plan.

Now that Obamacare has mandates, both sides flipped their stances 180 degrees and the Dems love mandates and the Republicans think they are unfair. It just shows me that both sides seem more concerned with winning and trashing the other side than actually getting thing done for the American people.

14. Vettesetter

Vettesetter Active Member

Reputations:
    Not sure how it is good for me as an American who has never been a burden to the system and always paid in.
    Due to the Un"affordable Healthcare Act", My insurance of 18 years was canceled cause I moved.

Obama said the Act would not effect people who already had Insurance. What was proposed to me by my provider for new coverage was a joke. The girl on the phone basically said everyone was screwed cause of the Act and all the premiums are higher.

I always fit into their preferred rates cause I am in great health, but the changes are ridiculous:
    Deductible was $3000, now will be $6000
    Out-of-network deductible was $1000, now will be $15,000
    The premium would go from $209 a month to just under $500.

It's to the point where your basically paying for most common procedures out of pocket and unless something really major happens, insurance doesn't have to pay out anything.

I checked other providers and it is the same story with all of them. I can get lower deductibles, but the premiums go to 3 and 4X what I was paying.

Fatass, Macro57, mape and 8 others like this.
  15. Winston Leg-Thigh

Winston Leg-Thigh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Did you see the scandal that was recently uncovered with Mass Health? The entire thing is a scam. The insurance companies couldn't operate with such low margins and the government couldn't allow the people of Massachusetts to know that the system was a complete failure, so they secretly double billed the taxpayer to the tune of half a billion dollars to keep the insurance companies afloat.

This is the scam. This will be the norm. After all, insurance companies wrote the ACA. BUt ohhhh, it's so wonderful! Fucking idiots don't know when they're butthole is being plugged.

16. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    ...and this isn't gonna help.

17. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, the funny thing is that everyone defends Obamacare because it is just like Romneycare, but living in Mass, I can say Romneycare sucks. The legislature has had to major overhauls of it several times. There was tens of millions that was supposed to go to city hospitals for improved healthcare in the area that still haven't been paid over a decade later.

I think universal healthcare is great in theory, but anything government run is likely to be a cluster fuck.

18. Ingens

Ingens VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Because the VA is a shining beacon on this hill for what government involvement in healthcare can do for you.

19. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    It's not big news, I knew it would be held up, because the legislation wouldn't have passed through if it wasn't legally sound. I'm not for the bill, but it's a huge waste of money for the right to keep attacking it after it's already been passed through all of it's wickets.

20. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    Scalia's dissent is incredible