SXSW: 'Walking Dead' has ending planned, but not soon

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Mar 14, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    0820-0126-71160966.JPG

AUSTIN -- The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman blurts out that "one day The Walking Dead will end."

And the series' executive producer David Alpert sounds as if he just choked on a Texas-fried brussel sprout. "Don't say that!" he exclaims.

So as to not put too much of a scare into fans, Kirkman recants a bit. "It's a long arc. I don't anyone to ever get the impression that it's like, 'Oh, this is popular so I have to keep this going for years and years'," he said. "I definitely know the story that we are telling and I know how the story that we are telling ends."

Meanwhile, the stories are expanding for Kirkman and Alpert, who are holding court in a downtown restaurant here during South By Southwest.

635619489313564409-IMG-1264.JPG
    The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman and executive producer David Alpert in Austin, Tex., March 13, 2015 (Photo: Mike Snider, USA TODAY)

A Walking Dead spinoff TV series is in the works and their company Skybound Entertainment, which is celebrating its fifth anniversary, has its first film out soon, too. Actor Norman Reedus, who plays Daryl on The Walking Dead, co-stars with Djimon Hounsou (Guardians of the Galaxy) in Air, a film out this spring, that Kirkman and Alpert produced.

As "the janitors of the apocalypse" they wake up every six months to do maintenance on their crew's hibernation pods, Alpert said. "This time when they wake up and something has gone wrong. So we follow these two guys as they try to save the world."

There's more: Another of Kirkman's comics Outcast is being made into a Cinemax TV series and there's a new action-oriented Walking Dead video game being planned.

Kirkman, who continues to write The Walking Dead, which began in 2003, will be at the center of these ventures, too. "Because we kept me the guy who knows all the ins and out of The Walking Dead universe at the center of things, I think it makes that product better," he said. "That's the thing we are trying to do on a much larger level moving forward."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/03/14/sxsw-robert-kirkman-walking-dead/24755803/

2. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It will end with everyone dead

No other way to end it

3. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    The mistake they're making with TWD is that tastes always change. They should be cashing in big time right now while everything is in their favor.

Instead, they produce a lousy 16 shows per year and treat each episode like it's Star Wars.

4. HorsetoothBeth

HorsetoothBeth Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Coral will be the last man standing.

5. King Schmaltz

King Schmaltz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Will fans take it as an insult if at the end Rick comes out of his coma and none of really happened?

6. EasyJesus

EasyJesus Pappy Gold

Reputations:
    Walking Dead has convinced me I would rather be one of the first to die than live through all that misery :hide:

7. dexterdog

dexterdog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If it has some shitty ending like "Lost" I'm gonna lose it...

8. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    AMC is going to milk this baby till the well runs dry.