Syndromes Mike Bocchetti could have

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Artiessobriety, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Artiessobriety

Artiessobriety Active Member

Reputations:
    Inspired by octex and PDS talking about the Dunning-Kruger effect. After looking into it, Bocchetti definitely has a case of that, maybe with some Asperger's sprinkled on there.

2. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Yeah, I ruled out Asperger's early on because I've never seen an Asperger's person as stupid as Bocchetti. Most are quite intelligent. But he could easily fall somewhere else on the autism spectrum, maybe some kind of "processing delay".

He could simply have a really low IQ.

(We're all agreed that no way it's an act, right?)

3. Artiessobriety

Reputations:
    I honestly doubt it's an act. I would always question it but after a while, it's become pretty clear that he's really just that stupid. Especially after this week..jesus christ he hasn't met that girl from Chicago, and thinks they are dating after a single message she sent him.

4. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Catfish Bocchetti. I haven't gotten to that show yet but it should be good. Your thread is a good one, it really is difficult to place just WTF is wrong with Mike Bocchetti (other than being a colossal dipshit in taking advantage of his deathly ill mother).

5. Artiessobriety

Reputations:
    :hat:I didn't even dislike him that much before the shit he does to his mother got on the air. It isn't just the stuff he's pulled but the gall he has to defend himself. He should at least acknowledge he's been a prick and hasn't attempted to help her at all.

6. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    You know what, there's an extreme form of narcissism at work in there too. Besides his "I am to be served" attitude towards his sick mom, that also explains why (a) amid all the name calling that ALL of his teachers and his relatives and his father and his Twatter detractors were "morons" he has NEVER EVER admitted any intellectual failing on his part, even in the face of Artie's derision, and (b) he was unable to accept responsibility for the Twilight Zone and similar epic failures on the show.

Combine that with his "My 500 pounds will live to 92 and next year I'll star in a sitcom" mantra, maybe his diagnosis is "Stupid Peter Pan Syndrome"?

7. Artiessobriety

Reputations:
    great points. you're right on the money, he has always put the blame on others. and wait till you get to last night's show where he calls himself goodlooking, a solid 9 in fact. he also goes to the length of comparing his face to Johnny Depp's:jj:

8. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Will I be screaming as much as I was during the Twilight Zone Hour 2? Because I don't think that's good for my health.

9. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Damn its too bad I'm going to be in Dallas the week he is out here in LA. I'd really like to see him take on "the machine". As much as I despise him for the way he treats his mother, she deserves some blame for enabling him his whole life.

10. Artiessobriety

Reputations:
    lol I wouldn't say it was as bad as Twilight Zone hour 2 but it will definitely have you :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

11. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    On the live look in during his usual "Hello America" bullshit he actually said, "Thanks to everyone from Canada to Yugoslavia, we love you." I have no words. I want to break those fingers off he points with and gouge out his eyes with them.

12. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Yeah haha it took him a while to think of Yugoslavia too.

13. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    I think he's got a severe case of staten island syndrome. Italian kids on SI (i'm italian) who are raised by their mothers, often having large amounts of brothers and sisters, become so attached that they never leave the house. They get immersed into a bubble that the mom creates for them where they don't have to do anything and are constantly taken care of. This goes on as they become adults and before you know it, they're 52 and still live there, usually with most of their siblings still in the house (one or two often escape). That's why the only things Bocchetti knows about are from the 70's, that was the last time he was at all attached to reality.

That's why I don't even get mad at Bocchetti about how he treats his mother. He doesn't see anything wrong with it, it's just the way things have always been for him. He's basically a gigantic and fucked up 9 year old, fighting with his siblings, having mommy clean up after him, make him food, do his laundry, etc.

And you can probably sprinkle in a little bit of Down Syndrome with that as well.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  14. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    There's no "little bit of Downs" as far as I know; it's a stark genetic mutation. And while I'm quite familiar with Italian families on Staten Island, I think staying at home like that is still far more the exception than the rule. What the coddled boys usually do is manage to find a wife to treat them similarly. However, that may have become slightly more difficult as modern women decline to act as doormats for the man of the house. Also, the kids are getting lazier and lazier about even becoming financially viable enough to pull in that doormat. Maybe Bocchetti's just ahead of his time, far more advanced in his womb-sticking than the ordinary boys of his time. I'm just babbling now...

15. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    I was just joking about the little bit of Down

&

I wasn't trying to say it wasn't anything more than an exception, but it's a noticeable exception nonetheless that seems to be relegated to Staten Island

16. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    I really don't think he has any kind of syndrome or mental disorder. He is just very ignorant and very self-involved. The narcissism is overt, which leads to all his delusions of grandeur. All stand-up comics are broken in some way, though, reliant on audiences to determine their own self-worth. He started off as narcissistic and became a comic to feed into it. One would think the way his Mom talks down to him, he wouldn't have such an inflated sense of self.

He also purposely doesn't try to expand his mind with knowledge of the world. Literally everything he knows or will know was he "learned" from age 5-17 at school and catechism. I think he said he dropped out of high school before trying to join the marines, but that was probably the last time he learned anything new.

He did say doing the dishes, cleaning and washing laundry was "woman's work", which is why he chooses to not help his mother with any of those. It's not like he is incapable of performing these tasks. His arrested development is probably to blame on what ltd and pds brought up about growing up in SI and his mother.

On Aspergers:
    From AutismSpeaks:
    You know, looking at this list, we can put down a check for Mike displaying almost all of these behaviors... Someone on another thread said that he was somewhere on the Autism spectrum (perhaps jokingly), but I have to disagree.
    • He is very social, but awkward.
    • He can understand social and emotional issues, just not well.
    • He does rarely give Artie any kind of direct eye contact on the show, he mainly looks at Dan or the monitors and it pisses me off to no end.
    • I mean he's close to 8/9 on the list, but his social "skills" are definitely what put me in the "non-Aspergers" camp.

Sorry for the long post, he makes me so angry I felt compelled to type more.

17. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    So I think we agree, except frankly I don't blame his poor mother at all. After 16 or so, growing up is your own damn responsibility. This guy's a lazy dimwit, not necessarily in that order.

18. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    Sorry, I thought that was what you meant when you referenced modern women not tolerating being treated as doormats. I thought you were implying Mike's mom wasn't a modern woman by the way she still allows her kids to live in the house and does chores for them.

I do agree that is what Mike is looking for in a wife--a mother he can have sex with. If he ever gets married, I wouldn't feel too sorry for the poor woman since he will end up dying in a few months.

19. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Well yes and no; I'm not BLAMING Mike's behavior on his mother (or theoretical foolhardy wife) being doormats. Enabling is not causation, and babies have to grow up.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  20. onefourthree

onefourthree Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think Mike is just behind the curve. He's got the maturity of probably a pre-teen or early teen, he's below average intelligence - but not retarded, and he's mildly delusional. But he's not this way because he wants to be. It's just how he is, and nothing can change it.

I don't really understand the hate he gets on here about how he interacts with his mother. They've both been living this way his whole life. It's her behavior just as much as it is his. Also, he has nothing but negative things to say about his father. If he is saying it, you can bet that it's true, and this sort of thing can have an impact on a child that will last a lifetime.

Another thing you gotta realize is a lot of the things he says on the show are just things that he thinks are funny. I'm not saying it's all an act - if it is, he's a genius. But I'm just saying, I think a lot of the time he's just trying to be entertaining, not really talking about anything in any real way, but just saying something because he thinks it sounds good at the time. Mike's just going through life, trying to make the best of it, as best he knows how. Which is why you have to cut him some slack, as that knowledge is limited.