News TCU student ordered to see psychiatrist, diversity training class after tweets about ISIS, Rioters

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Slow, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    TCU student punished for criticizing Islam, Baltimore riots

All it took was 140 characters for Texas Christian University to suspend a conservative student who posted a series of social networking posts that insulted the Islamic State, the Baltimore rioters and Mexicans.

TCU banned Harry Vincent from most campus activities, ordered him to perform 60 hours of community service and attend a diversity training class.

The 19-year-old, who is a member of the College Republicans and the Young Americans for Freedom, said he was told by the university that his conservative views were “inappropriate.”

It sounds to me like Harry Vincent is guilty of being a Christian Conservative white guy – and on a university campus that’s a crime worthy of death penalty.

They’re trying to make me out to be the classic bigoted hateful white male,” Harry told me in a telephone interview from his home in Maryland. “That’s the complete opposite of what I am.”

The university’s only public comment came in a prepared statement noting “When student’s conduct violates the university’s behavioral standards, they are subject to a disciplinary process, and will be held accountable for their actions.”

On April 29 TCU sent Harry a letter accusing him of violating the university’s code of student conduct – specifically he was accused of “infliction of bodily or emotional arm” and “disorderly conduct.”

The charges stemmed from a half dozen tweets he had posted online referencing radical Islam along with a Facebook message about the Baltimore riots.

“These hoodrat criminals in Baltimore need to be shipped off and exiled to the sahara desert,” he wrote. “Maybe then they’ll realize how much we provide for them (welfare, college tuition, Obama phone’s, medicare, etc.”

In regards to Islam he wrote, “This is clearly not a religion of peace.”

He also used the word “beaner” a derogatory term to describe Mexicans.

A former middle school classmate took great offense at Harry’s tweets and launched what became a Twitter lynch mob. The unnamed woman, who has no ties to TCU, urged her followers to contact the university and complain.

“This a**hole has been posting racist and disgusting comments on Twitter/Facebook,” she wrote on Tumblr. “When I confronted him about it, he referred to me as an ‘Islamic s**thead.”

The university took swift action. Associate Dean of Students Glory Robinson ordered Harry to apologize for what he had written on his private social networking pages.

Dean Robinson said I was going to need to write an apology letter and a letter stating what sort of punishment I thought I deserved,” Harry told me. “She told me not to use Freedom of Speech as a defense – or else I would be more severely punished.”

To make a long story short – Harry hired a lawyer and appealed.

“My appeal board consisted of one very flamboyant male teacher and the head of the inclusiveness and diversity department,” he said. “It wasn’t a very unbiased board at all that heard my case.”

As expected – the university rejected his appeal and sent Harry a certified letter.

“The choices you made caused harm to other individuals,” the university wrote. “These types of comments are not acceptable at TCU and directly contradict our mission of being ‘ethical leaders and responsible citizens in a global community.’”

Harry said he was told that he had to say he was guilty before the university actually found him guilty.

“Dean Robinson believes I am somehow damaged – she thinks there’s something wrong with me because of what I put out there on social media,” he said. “She told me how my conservatives views were inappropriate.”

While he stands by his beliefs about Islamic radicals and the Baltimore rioters, Harry told me he regrets the foul language he used – as well as the unintentional Mexican slur “beaner.”

“I did not know that word was such a hurtful word,” he said. “I do regret that one because I do realize that could have caused harm to some people.”

Harry said he called his online attacker a “s***head” after she bashed the Armed Forces and wrote that America deserved what happened on 9/11.

“Any red-blooded American’s blood would have boiled at the sight of what she wrote,” he said. “I let my anger get the best of me.”

It sounds to me like Harry Vincent is guilty of being a Christian Conservative white guy – and on a university campus that’s a crime worthy of death penalty.

Harry isn’t sure if he’s going back to TCU. Should he agree to their demands – the 19-year-old would be on disciplinary probation until 2018 – the year he graduates.

“I’m thinking about enlisting in the Marines,” he said.

But one thing is certainly – Harry is not backing down.

“I’m not going to stand down and watch an institution throw away the Constitution and throw away basic God-given rights,” he said.

TCU is a private school and as such they are not bound by the First Amendment. However, as a Christian school they ought to be bound by the Good Book.

Harry Vincent spoke his mind – but instead of honoring his free speech – TCU chose to silence this young man and capitulated to the fury of a Twitter lynch mob.

The irony is that Harry received a stiffer punishment than a lot of the street thugs who terrorized Baltimore.

2. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Liberals love criminals and killers.

Being against ISIS is like being against FREEDOM in their minds.

And being against rioters is clearly racist. They need room to destroy and attack Asian businesses.

3. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    How can a college, WHICH YOU PAY TO ATTEND, "order you" to perform 60 hours of community service for something you say?

I would sue their asses off. Full refund, you fucks.

4. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Isn't TCU a private university? Just kick him out, or if I was the student just leave?
    No universty has the right to give out community service, something doesn't add up here.

5. sternadamsapple

sternadamsapple Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just stay off of social media. No good comes of it...other than Tinder. I actually graduated from TCU and will be calling the Chancellor today and pointing out that this is ridiculous. It is a private school, and quite frankly not worth the current asking price. They don't have any particular degree that is so important that it merits the 250,000 (well other than nursing). He should just move on.

6. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
    I haven't heard anyone called a beaner in years.

Runaway and kingdavid918 like this.
  7. kingdavid918

kingdavid918 Shit mult Banned User

Reputations:
    "These hoodrat criminals in Baltimore need to be shipped off and exiled to the sahara desert,” he wrote. “Maybe then they’ll realize how much we provide for them (welfare, college tuition, Obama phone’s, medicare, etc.”
    He also used the word “beaner” a derogatory term to describe Mexicans.
    ^^^^ Yeah, he isn't a racist at all LOL

8. Slow

Reputations:
    That is the only thing he said that you can fairly criticize. Being punished for the other shit is ridiculous.

Side note, why is beaner so offensive? Don't hispanics eat a lot of beans? My italian friends wouldn't flinch if I called them zitis.

what is racist about his baltimore comments? He mentioned nothing about race but of his political views. At most it is class prejudice.

Head Censor and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  9. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's 2015...Welcome to liberal, pussified, Academia where diversity is a wonderful thing, as long as you're not a straight, white, male, and freedom of thought is encouraged, as long as you agree with EVERYTHING they tell you to agree with! Good for this kid, aside from the "Beaner" comment.

10. EvolvedMarbles

EvolvedMarbles Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Gonna guess that somewhere after acceptance/admission, and depositing the tuition check, young squire signed on the dotted line agreeing to the institution's T&C's, code of conduct, and their processes to remedy what they see as wrongs. Now that the agreement is being enforced, where's the surprise?

Free speech doesn't equal free pass. He's going to have an uphill battle till graduation.

kingdavid918 likes this.
  11. kingdavid918

kingdavid918 Shit mult Banned User

Reputations:
    "The more college graduates, the more Democratic (and especially more liberal) the state. The fewer college graduates, the more Republican and (and especially more conservative) the state. Liberal states like New York and Massachusetts invest more in educating their kids. Conservative states like Kansas and Texas spend less on it, and consequently have fewer people with bachelor's degrees."
    There is no room for hate speech on today's college campus. He will be better of joining the Marines, honestly, because all politics aside, if he feels so strongly about Islamic terror groups like ISIS, he would have a much better opportunity to express himself in actual combat, not on Twitter and Facebook.

12. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Unless he did this on like the TCU twitter feed or whatever (I don't really know much about how twitter works) how can they punish him for it? Case in point the professor Boston U hired who always tweets anti white shit, the university stood by her.

I understand these are two different schools but it's either ok to express yourself publicly or it's not.

13. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    But this behavior is just fine from a black professor who is only practicing free speech according to her employer:

Boston University prof in racist tweet flap accused of trolling white rape victim
    [​IMG]
    Boston University Professor Saida Grundy (Boston University)

Boston University, which has already condemned the racist Tweets of an incoming faculty member, has now been sent an outrageous Facebook exchange in which a poster who identifies herself as the controversial sociology professor mercilessly ridicules a white rape victim.

Saida Grundy, a newly hired professor at Boston University who recently said she regrets tweeting that white males are a "problem population," and other racially charged comments, is now accused of Facebook posts in which she appeared to taunt a white rape victim. That victim, Meghan Chamberlin, told FoxNews.com that the posts, made in a February public chat, felt “like a kick in the stomach.”

“go cry somewhere. since that’s what you do.”

- Facebook poster identified as Sai Grundy, speaking to rape victim

The woman who identified herself as Grundy posted the comments after Chamberlin took issue with a controversial article on race that the Facebook thread had linked to.

“I LITERALLY cry and lose sleep over this,” Chamberlin wrote, adding she had been raped as a child and felt that: “what this article did was tell me that I'm not aloud (sic) to ask for help… Because I am a WHITE woman… So when I read this article… you do understand what that does to me, right? It kills me…”

The woman, who identified herself as Sai Grundy in the Feb. 25 thread and uses the same photo the professor uses on tweets she acknowledged last week, responded by making fun of the victim’s crying.

“’I literally cry’…. While we literally die,” she said before adding, “try this article. A white woman explaining this issue to other white women… who manages NOT to cry while doing it!”

Chamberlin, the rape survivor, responded: “No really. I got it. You can take your claws out, thanks.”

To which Grundy exploded:

“^^THIS IS THE S**T I AM TALKING ABOUT. WHY DO YOU GET TO PLAY THE VICTIM EVERY TIME PEOPLE OF COLOR AND OUR ALLIES WANT TO POINT OUT RACISM. my CLAWS?? Do you see how you just took an issue that WASNT about you, MADE it about you, and NOW want to play the victim when I take the time to explain to you some s**t that is literally $82,000 below my pay grade? And then you promote your #whitegirltears like that’s some badge you get to wear… YOU BENEFIT FROM RACISM. WE’RE EXPLAINING THAT TO YOU and you’re vilifying my act of intellectual altruism by saying i stuck my “claws” into you?”

Chamberlin responded by trying to leave the discussion. “I am choosing to “exit” this conversation,” she wrote.

But Grundy posted again, finishing with: “go cry somewhere. since that’s what you do.”

Chamberlin responded: “Will do.”

Grundy then responded to others: “am I mocking her tears or am I saying that her tears are meaningless displays of emotions because they don’t reflect at ALL an intention to understand the issue from the prospective (sic) of women of color or queer women.”

She added, “my name is *Sai*, but you can call me Dr. Grundy.”

The above quotes are excerpts from the Feb. 25 exchange. The extended exchange is here, and the victim’s remark describing how she is a rape victim is truncated in the screenshot, but an extended post can be viewed here. Chamberlin gave permission to publish her name.

The exchange was taken down from Facebook late Wednesday, just hours after FoxNews.com asked Frank William Miller Junior, on whose Facebook page the posts appeared, what he thought of Grundy’s comments.

Grundy did not return an email or a phone call from FoxNews.com about her posts on Thursday morning; within hours of FoxNews.com reaching out, her Facebook page was taken down. Before the deletion, FoxNews.com took a screenshot of her page which shows the exact same name and twitter article as appears in the screenshots.

FoxNews.com talked separately with three different people who also posted comments on that Facebook thread. FoxNews.com was tipped off to the existence of the thread by one of the three posters. Two of the participants in the thread had taken screenshots, which they shared with FoxNews.com.

Chamberlin told FoxNews.com she was shaken by the online run-in.

“What that day did was send me back years,” she said. "I felt like I was being "shhhh'd" again… I didn't know Dr. Grundy was a professor or a doctor until she stated so... when I read that, the kick in the gut felt deeper,” she said.

The woman who alerted FoxNews.com to the Facebook thread said she did so even though she was friends with the original poster (and did not know Chamberlin personally) because she felt no rape survivor should have to go through what happened.

“Self-important and condescending academics are nothing unusual, but mocking a traumatized rape victim crosses a line,” she said.

Another woman involved in the thread told FoxNews.com that she alerted Boston University officials about the Facebook exchange on Thursday, sending them an email with screenshots she took.

“When regarding her continued employment with Boston University, I hope the magnitude of her desensitized ability to have no compassion for a rape victim is considered,” she said in a letter to school officials.

Grundy, an incoming assistant professor of sociology and African-American studies at the school, previously tweeted that "white masculinity is THE problem for america’s (sic) colleges," white men are a "problem population,” and that she tries to avoid shopping at white-owned businesses. Last week, after several alumni complaints, Boston University president Robert Brown condemned the racist tweets.

“We are disappointed and concerned by statements that reduce individuals to stereotypes on the basis of a broad category such as sex, race, or ethnicity," Brown wrote in an email blast to the "Boston University community." "I believe Dr. Grundy’s remarks fit this characterization,” he said in a statement.

That prompted Grundy, who has not returned repeated requests for comment, to release a statement in which she said the tweets were the result of “personal passion” surrounding unspecified “events we now witness with regularity in our nation.”

“I regret that my personal passion about issues surrounding these events led me to speak about them indelicately," Grundy said. "I deprived them of the nuance and complexity that such subjects always deserve."

Boston University said after the tweets no action will be taken against Grundy. The university did not respond to a request for comment on whether any action would be taken against Grundy in light of the Facebook comments.

The author, Maxim Lott, can be reached at www.maximlott.comor at maxim.lott@foxnews.com

OV, kingship, JameGumb and 6 others like this.
  14. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No link for this? No actual transcript of the series of twitter postings?
    I'm guessing that whoever wrote the piece put the best possible light on what happened.
    I'd be interested in seeing a more neutral view.

FSFN and kingdavid918 like this.
  15. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
  16. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    As a person that attended a private college I can pretty much guarantee the language in the student Code of Conduct allows for all of this.

Mine was in legalese, was about an inch thick, and filled with all sorts of broad language about standards / excellence / fairness / community mindfulness and so on.

I am sure they are written with even more authority given to the school these days.

17. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Oh dear lord. :facepalm:

18. Slow

Reputations:
    Interesting that the private christian college takes action but the public liberal college takes no action. Or it could be that she gets a free pass for some reason that escapes me at the moment.

kingship and Samurai like this.
  19. Donkeyboy2190

Donkeyboy2190 Never earned a dimes

Reputations:
    The very flamboyant male teacher quote was funny

kingdavid918 and Slow like this.
  20. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    They are indoctrinated from grade school through grad school. Teachers and profs are almost exclusively democrat, as well as media. It's absurd to suggest that natural bias does come out and impact the students perception of issues.

kingship likes this.