Entertainment Telltale Games Inks Deal To Produce Marvel Games

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, Apr 24, 2015.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Telltale Games Inks Deal To Produce Marvel Games
    News

by Matt Helgeson on April 23, 2015 at 07:57 PM

[​IMG]

Telltale Games has a knack for turning big entertainment properties into great adventure games. Today, the studio announced a partnership with Marvel.

The news came from the Telltale Games' blog:

"Announced this evening in San Francisco, we're excited to reveal an all-new partnership with the incredible team at Marvel Entertainment. We'll be teaming up on the development of an upcoming Telltale game series project set to premiere in 2017!"

Obviously, details are scarce, but this seems like another big coup for Telltale, which has parlayed its success with The Walking Dead into production deals on projects like HBO's Game of Thrones and a new Minecraft game. Given the popularity of Marvel's movies, this could be the biggest Telltale project ever.

[Source: Telltale Games]

Our Take
    This seems like good news for Telltale, though I do worry about how many irons they have in the fire. Also, could we use some of the money from these deals to get a new game engine? They did a nice job with Game of Thrones but the graphics and (especially) the animations look very archaic.

Email the author Matt Helgeson, or follow on Twitter, and Game Informer.

2. FrstTimeLngTme

FrstTimeLngTme Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Loved The Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us. Should be good stuff.

3. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Their remake of Sam and Max failed to live up to the LucasArts version, but they do make some quality stuff. I love a good point and click adventure game. The GOT game was a bit of a stinker though.

4. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    I would love to see a Marvel RPG open world game. With 100's of characters for ps4. Marvel alliance was just OK.
    Something with interactive backgrounds, lots of cool powers that aren't limited to energy points things like that. Imagine being able to use any of your favorite superheros and just walk around smashing cars, flying around, freezing or zapping anything you wanted? It would be awesome.

ARM likes this.
  5. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Telltale makes great games. They deliver a console/pc quality to your phone.

6. The Nothing 19

The Nothing 19 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Their real talent lies less in the visual realm and more in the ability to tell stories as gripping as the properties they adapt. Sometimes moreso. I was way more invested in telltale's Walking Dead story than the AMC show.

7. Bri7

Bri7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This, both were amazing, GOT was ok, but I am pretty sure that this project will be amazing too!!

GentlemenBroncos likes this.
  8. Bri7

Bri7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You should play DC universe in that case

ARM likes this.
  9. cygnus2112

Reputations:
    i'm sure its great but im not a fan of any DC superheros. was never into them.

10. Bri7

Bri7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Marvel Heroes then?

Edit: Nevermind, it is for PC

11. cygnus2112

Reputations:
    yeah, im a marvel superhero fan. I wouldn't call myself a comic nerd, but I know the marvel universe pretty well.

ARM likes this.
  12. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    There's gotta be a future Wikipedia entry on the horizon for the 'Great Superhero Film Crash of 2028' or something right? Over-saturated market, over-production... I've heard this story before. "Millions left jobless."

13. PSU Shower Room

Reputations:
    By 2028 we'll see the 8th reboot of fucking spider man.

14. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    I've been playing Telltale Game of Thrones...and it's pretty spectacular. The releases can be very messy sometimes...they totally fucked up the release of episode 2 a few months ago by pushing it out too early, but the story telling itself is very impressive and the graphics are beautiful.
    I'm pretty excited to see what they do with the Marvel titles.

15. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Spot on! All this time and Marvel has yet to hit with massive free roam adventure game that has the LOOK of the Batman ARKHAM series. The Alliance RPG came off as very simplistically underachieving graphically and too button mashie.

BOTH all Marvel and DC can seem to pull off are these fucking pedophile Lego games which have taken over and reek of copy/paste laziness. Like when a Bruce Timm animator turns his characters into stick figures because it's easier and cheaper to animate.

My geek wish list was a 2015 redux of the classic Captain America and the Avengers game. This where you choose any 2 to 4 characters/Avengers and free roam through the Marvel Universe that LOOKS like GTA or Batman Arkham. That and an Avengers vs X-MEN 3D fighting game that gets away from that tired street fighter engine.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    TallTyrion, PSU Shower Room and Bri7 like this.
  16. PSU Shower Room

Reputations:
    It's a shame. Game companies invest so much time developing a game's plot, characters, universe. Comic books already have a deep and rich pool to draw from, but they're always so far behind the curve.

They're finally hitting with decent movies. Video games should have been a no brainer a decade ago. I will say that DC Universe wasn't terrible.

ARM likes this.
  17. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My big problem with that game (@Bri7 ) is DC/WB wouldn't let you USE actual DC characters. Instead you're FORCED to create your own and you can only INTERACT with the DC Universe.

It's also graphically lightweight, and too button mashie as the fighting system seems outdated - almost PS2esque.

That said, whether it's a straight up Mortal Kombat type fighting game (DC Injustice) or a free roam game - a create-a-hero option should be standard by now like the WWE games have had for years and years. So if they don't inculde your fav characters, you can just create your own.

18. slipkid69

slipkid69 AKA...Dick Delicious VIP

Reputations:
    Agreed!. Just finished up The Wolf Among Us and thought it was great. The Walking Dead has also been fantastic.

19. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    If they did a Game for the Marvel Universe that looked anything like Arkham it would literally kill.
    And yes, the Lego games are lazy---but I've paid good money for every one (I'm a loser).

cygnus2112 and ARM like this.
  20. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You're not even CLOSE a loser in my book! It's ALL they'll put out! The CONCEPT of these dopey Lego games is exactly what you want, as well as the character count. But it's so pedophile looking that you or your kid can't take it seriously. They need to replace the Lego shit with Neal Adams or George Perez designs and we're in business.